Charity Poker, anyone?

EvilMonkey

My wife and I volunteer for a charity called Help Save Pets, a Humane Society in Plainfield, with locations also in Hinsdale, Oswego and Channahon. We are a no-kill shelter, with an all volunteer staff. However we need money for food, vet bills and so on, so we do fundraisers! One of them is a poker tournament! or rather, a whole day of poker tournaments.

On February 24th (this Sunday) at St. Andrews Golf Course, West Chicago, IL, Help save Pets and Chicago Charitable Games will be having a day of POKER! First tournament starts at 2 PM and they run all throughout the day. I will post the schedule from the website here, but you can also go to the webiste yourself and look. The site is http://www.chicagocharitablegames.com/even...ils.php?cID=694

If you go, and want to play in any of the multi-table tournament games, there is a 'coupon' you can print that gets you an extra $1k chips. You have to sign up for their email to get it, however I don't know if it will send it to you in time. If not, I have the email and can forward to anyone interested. You just print out the coupon page and when registering for the multi table ones, you get more chips.

Anyway, the text from the site is below. My comments in red. If anyone shows up, I thank you in advance, and wish you luck. Unless you are in a hand against me, then I hope you go down in flames.

Multi-Table Tournament Schedule...

$20($16+$4) Early Bird Tournament at 2:00PM

This will be a $20 freezeout tournament with no re-buys. This will be a normal NL Holdem Tournament. All tournament entry fees will be added to the prize pool, Players will start with $2000 in tournament chips + bonus, Blinds will increase every 12 minutes.

This one has anywhere from 70 to 200 people in it. Fairly loose play since it is the cheapest of the ones offered, but still pretty popular

$60($45+$15) MONSTER STACK Tournament at 5:00PM

This will be a $60 tournament with no re-buys. This will be a NL Holdem Tournament, with a bonus for an additional $1000 in tournament chips and an optional add on for $5 for an addtional $1000 in tournament chips. All tournament entry fees will be added to the prize pool. THIS IS A MONSTER STACK Tournament: players will start with $14,000 in tournament chips + bonus + add on Blinds will increase every 20 minutes.

***This is the biggest stack tournament for the money that CCG and its hosting charities will offer.

Like it says, you start with a big stack. You get people raising a lot early since they have such large stacks, but usually not outrageous.

1.5X BONUS STACK 15 min levels!

$40($30+$10) NO MAX Late Night 1.5X BONUS Tournament at 9:00PM

This will be a NEW $40 tournament. This will be a normal NL Holdem Tournament, with a bonus for an additional $1000 in tournament chips. All tournament entry fees will be added to the prize pool, Players will start with $6000 in tournament chips + bonus/add-on Blinds will increase every 15 minutes.This tournament will be not be limited to the first 40 players, and will stay open until the 4th blind level for alternates and blind off seats.

I have never played this one, but am told it attracts the best players.

CASH GAMES OFFERED:

$2-$4 & $5-$10 Limit Holdem

$1-$2T (max buy in $300), $2-$5T, $5-$10T

$1-$2 & $2-$5 PLOmaha H/L and High

Plus several other ring games spread on demand!!

YELLOW BALLOONS INDICATE THE CASH GAME AREA

Click here for more information on Cash Games...

I don't do the cash games, but others swear by them.....

SIT N GO (SNG) TOURNAMENT INFORMATION:

all sit n go tournaments start with 10 players, and run all event long.

$20 TURBO Sit N Go:

RED BALLOONS INDICATE THE NEXT $20 SNG

$1,000 in starting chips + $3 add on for additional $1k

10 Min Blinds (blinds start 25/50)

Payouts: 1st = $100, 2nd = $50

I do these if I have time between multi table games. They usually last about an hour with good play.

$40 Sit N Go:

GREEN BALLOONS INDICATE THE NEXT $40 SNG

$3,000 in starting chips +$3 addon for additional $1k

14 Min Blinds

Payouts: 1st = $200, 2nd = $100

$80 Sit N Go:

$5,000 in starting chips +$3 addon for additonal $1k

18 Min Blinds

Payouts: 1st = $400, 2nd = $220

We have 4 events scheduled throughout the year, dates and locations of the other three still TDB. Thanks for reading, hope to see some of you there.

I have a standing Friday night poker game (we play once a month), the email to see who's available goes to about 40 people. I'm going to send this out to them, pretty sure you'll get a good turn out from these guys. I'm playing Friday night, but I have a christening Sunday morning and then my nephews bday party in the afternoon, if I can get out early, I'll be there. Good luck!

QUOTE (Tuna @ Feb 21, 2013 -> 12:36 AM)
I have a standing Friday night poker game (we play once a month), the email to see who's available goes to about 40 people. I'm going to send this out to them, pretty sure you'll get a good turn out from these guys. I'm playing Friday night, but I have a christening Sunday morning and then my nephews bday party in the afternoon, if I can get out early, I'll be there. Good luck!

Thanks Tuna! I have a home game as well, but we end up about every 6 weeks or so. Several of our players are first responders and often have weekend shifts, so takes a few extra weeks to make a full table. Enjoy!

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 21, 2013 -> 08:11 AM)
Can't make it this weekend, but I'll drop a donation. We're looking for a puppy, too, so I'll check out the available adoptions.

We will be running them with this same group 3 more times this year, just don't have dates and places yet. And all the available animals are on the website at helpsavepets.org. It is updated often as we adopt out just under 1000 a year. Currently have a 4 year old male beagle named jack at my house recovering from heartworm. He won't be n the list for another 2 weeks or so until the medicine has had time to work. Then he goes out looking for a new home!

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 21, 2013 -> 07:51 AM)
Sounds like a great time! I run charity poker tournaments for a local church down in my neck of the woods, so if you ever need any help with blind/payout structures I'd be glad to help, but it sounds like you have everything pretty well covered.

Thanks Hickory, but we contracted with the Chicago Charitable Games who essentially run everything except the bank for us. They have been doing this for years and have it down pretty well. Don't you just love all the IRS rules involved in this? I love how the State of Illinois want 3% of the GROSS proceeds, simply because it involves gaming. Charity be damned!

Thanks Hickory, but we contracted with the Chicago Charitable Games who essentially run everything except the bank for us. They have been doing this for years and have it down pretty well. Don't you just love all the IRS rules involved in this? I love how the State of Illinois want 3% of the GROSS proceeds, simply because it involves gaming. Charity be damned!

In Indiana, you are not allowed to pay any person or organization to run a charity poker event. It must all be volunteer. If they ever changed the law, I'd probably go into business to do it.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 21, 2013 -> 08:11 AM)
Can't make it this weekend, but I'll drop a donation. We're looking for a puppy, too, so I'll check out the available adoptions.

Oh, tell us about what you're looking for in the pet thread!

I have a chance to play in a charity poker tournament at Caesar's through work...I'm a bit nervous about making a fool of myself, but I may give it a shot.

Oh, tell us about what you're looking for in the pet thread!

I have a chance to play in a charity poker tournament at Caesar's through work...I'm a bit nervous about making a fool of myself, but I may give it a shot.

Not sure of your skill level, but tips for beginners:

1) An ace with a nine or worse is a very weak hand and novices lost a lot of chips playing such hands

2) Suited cards are overrated. Don't play hands just because they are suited, and if you have good cards that happen to be suited don't blow a lot of chips chasing flushes.

3) Bet/raise with strong hands rather than just checking/calling

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 21, 2013 -> 10:50 AM)

1) An ace with a nine or worse is a very weak hand and novices lost a lot of chips playing such hands

2) Suited cards are overrated. Don't play hands just because they are suited, and if you have good cards that happen to be suited don't blow a lot of chips chasing flushes.

Weak aces suck, especially when you are in the blinds, and an ace comes out on the flop, but every other card is higher than that 4 you have underneath. Good tips for the beginner. The last one is hard for them to do, hard for a lot of people to do. You don't raise that pair of kings to force out the weak ace, and an ace comes out on the flop, time to pray.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Feb 21, 2013 -> 04:51 PM)
I am huge poker player. Unfortunately it's too short notice. I'll give a donation and hopefully if you get the dates for the next one, I'll bring an army.

Good luck!

Thanks Pettie4! There will be 3 more, one in April and 2 in the fall, so I will make sure to gove more than a weeks notice next time.

If anyone goes and wants to say hi, I will be wearing a brown tshirt with the Help Save Pets logo on the front, and playing. We had more than enough volunteers that I didn't have to work the event beyond helping to organize it. I will also have with me a few printouts of the email that gets you the extra chip for multi table tournaments in case you couldn't find it on the website and print it out. Thanks in advance for anyone who shows up. Let me know if you enjoyed it and how you did! I am off to play in the Chicago Poker Classic at Horseshoe today for a warmup.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 21, 2013 -> 10:50 AM)

Yeah, I understand the basics pretty well...I'm just not as good as many of the folks here in Vegas...of course, a lot of them are pros...

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Feb 23, 2013 -> 12:02 PM)
If anyone goes and wants to say hi, I will be wearing a brown tshirt with the Help Save Pets logo on the front, and playing. We had more than enough volunteers that I didn't have to work the event beyond helping to organize it. I will also have with me a few printouts of the email that gets you the extra chip for multi table tournaments in case you couldn't find it on the website and print it out. Thanks in advance for anyone who shows up. Let me know if you enjoyed it and how you did! I am off to play in the Chicago Poker Classic at Horseshoe today for a warmup.

Good luck, AD!

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Feb 23, 2013 -> 01:18 PM)
Hey! I can't find my earlier Vegas thread, so might as well ask you here. I have a friend who keeps raving about a place called Whisky Dicks out there. Comments?

Never been, but it looks like it has the sort of vibe you are going for...but looks like it's a good 15 minutes off the Strip...

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 07:52 AM)
Ironic you post this, because on last night's episode of the World Poker Tour, a guy with pocket tens cracked pocked aces by flopping a set, even though the fourth ten was in somebody else's hand. Unreal.

Was doing well in the first tourney, had about $25k (started with $3k), got pocket 10's. Blinds were $300-600. I raised pre flop to $1200, got 2 callers. Flop 10, 2 3. I bet $2500, got one caller. 4th street was a jack. All in, he called. River was another jack. I had a boat, 10s over jacks, he had jack 10 under for the higher boat. Boo. And 4 other times throughout the night I got killed on 10's, had 2 people get runner runner straights on me for big losses and so on. I did make it to 18th out of 150 or so in the late tourney, but no cash. Oh well, at least I know where I donated to!