Mea Maxima Culpa

bmags

https://www.hbo.com/documentaries/mea-maxim...ulpa/index.html

I just watched the HBO doc that follows a group of former students at a catholic school for the deaf who were raped by Father Murphy and their fight for justice. It has the best summary to date to follow the vaticans involvement in keeping the priests safe and victims irrelevant.

Has anyone been able to see this yet as well? It goes into deep detail on pope John Paul and ratzingers personal involvement of their failure to defrock priests that molested hundreds. Thoughts?

Part of changing our views on victims. Thankfully society now sees victims as victims and not someone that should be shielded in any way. It's hard to believe that not too long ago parents wouldn't want their children exposed as being victims, they didn't want their kids dragged through court and forced to testify. Sexual abuse, rape, etc continues to be an under reported crime category.

I think the changes are for the better. But the changes have not happened everywhere. In some corners of the world women are still ostracized if they are raped.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 24, 2013 -> 01:20 PM)
Part of changing our views on victims. Thankfully society now sees victims as victims and not someone that should be shielded in any way. It's hard to believe that not too long ago parents wouldn't want their children exposed as being victims, they didn't want their kids dragged through court and forced to testify. Sexual abuse, rape, etc continues to be an under reported crime category.

I think the changes are for the better. But the changes have not happened everywhere. In some corners of the world women are still ostracized if they are raped.

There are many people in the USA that still blame women for being raped. "Why did you dress like that?" "Why would you go out without someone to protect you?" "Why would you get drunk?" If women don't do absolutely everything to reduce their risk, many people see it as something they had coming to them.

Hell, even that priest on TV claimed his colleagues had been seduced by boys...don't feel like fishing for the link, but it is both hilarious and sad.

We still have judges that say that s***:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012...apologized.html

At sentencing in 2008, Johnson denied a prosecutor’s call to impose a 16-year prison term on Metin Gurel, who had been convicted of rape, forcible oral copulation, domestic battery, stalking and making threats against his former live-in girlfriend.

On the day he raped her, prosecutors said, Gurel had threatened to mutilate the woman’s face and vagina with a screwdriver he had heated up.

Johnson instead imposed a six-year sentence.

“I’m not a gynecologist, but I can tell you something,” the judge said, according to documents released Thursday. “If someone doesn’t want to have sexual intercourse, the body shuts down. The body will not permit that to happen unless a lot of damage in inflicted, and we heard nothing about that in this case.

"That tells me that the victim in this case, although she wasn’t necessarily willing, she didn’t put up a fight,” the judge said.

The judge, who has been with the Orange County Superior Court since 2000, also declared the rape “technical,” and not “a real, live criminal case.”

“To treat this case like the rape cases that we all hear about is an insult to victims of rape,” the judge said. “I think it’s an insult. I think it trivializes a rape.”

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/09/0...ower-to-change/

Bad things can happen in bars, Hatch told the victim, adding that other people might be more intoxicated than she was.

“If you wouldn’t have been there that night, none of this would have happened to you,” Hatch said.

Hatch told the victim and the defendant that no one would be happy with the sentence she gave, but that finding an appropriate sentence was her duty.

“I hope you look at what you’ve been through and try to take something positive out of it,” Hatch said to the victim in court. “You learned a lesson about friendship and you learned a lesson about vulnerability.”

Hatch said that the victim was not to blame in the case, but that all women must be vigilant against becoming victims.

“When you blame others, you give up your power to change,” Hatch said that her mother used to say.

Edited by StrangeSox

There are many people in the USA that still blame women for being raped. "Why did you dress like that?" "Why would you go out without someone to protect you?" "Why would you get drunk?" If women don't do absolutely everything to reduce their risk, many people see it as something they had coming to them.

Hell, even that priest on TV claimed his colleagues had been seduced by boys...don't feel like fishing for the link, but it is both hilarious and sad.

Yes, there are many people that still blame the victim, but there are also many who are not blaming the victim but having their words misinterpreted. There's nothing wrong with proactively pointing out that a certain activity puts you at higher risk for victimization.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 8, 2013 -> 11:13 AM)
Yes, there are many people that still blame the victim, but there are also many who are not blaming the victim but having their words misinterpreted. There's nothing wrong with proactively pointing out that a certain activity puts you at higher risk for victimization.

Proactive information is different than reactive preaching. People like to tell a person who has been raped all the things they did wrong, as if they didn't think about the ways they did and did not avoid risk.

There is also a tendency to focus on telling women how NOT to be raped rather than spend time telling men not to rape. It sounds silly to tell men not to to do this, but it actually has to be said.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 9, 2013 -> 07:16 PM)
Proactive information is different than reactive preaching. People like to tell a person who has been raped all the things they did wrong, as if they didn't think about the ways they did and did not avoid risk.

There is also a tendency to focus on telling women how NOT to be raped rather than spend time telling men not to rape. It sounds silly to tell men not to to do this, but it actually has to be said.

I think that's sort of a given. We've declared rape a crime and told men not to do it. It's more effective to advise women on ways to prevent the rape from happening in the first place (to the extent possible).

I get that rape is a touchy subject, but it's not a subject that should be totally off limits from judgement. If you walk down a s***ty neighborhood with cash visible, playing on a tablet with an expensive blue tooth headset on and you get robbed, are we really supposed to ignore those errors and not comment on them? Who wouldn't look at that situation and think "well, he was an idiot and was asking for it." Why should rape be treated any differently? You don't excuse the crime, and the majority of the focus should be on the criminal. But we can point out the mistakes that were made by the victim to assist others in the future.

Edited by Jenksismybitch