Rios' WBC Game Winning HR is GREAT for the Sox

CyAcosta41

Until proven otherwise, I'm of the opinion that Alex Rios's game winning HR in the WBC semi-final vs Japan is absolutely GREAT for the Sox (and Sox fans).

There's never been any question that this guy has immense talent and incredible tools. And, at times, he lives up to those tools. Clearly, for whatever reason, he'll lose confidence (not helped because of some -- shall we say -- highly questionable mechanics in the past) and we'd see long stretches and even complete years of a total enigma.

Last year -- lots of success with fundamentally sound and repeatable mechanics -- made me pretty confident that the Sox will trot out an All Star caliber performer this year in a confident Alex Rios. And hitting that HR yesterday (which looked like most of his "no doubters" last year) is a great way to start 2013. Doesn't matter that he was having a slow start to the spring. It's Spring Training. It takes time. And in a few days we get him back with this confidence-booster in his memory banks all season long.

And the biggest reason this benefits the Sox? A confident Alex Rios is the consummate #3 slot hitter -- doubles, triples, homers, good contact skills, stolen bases (when needed), and hitting in front of the big RBI guys without clogging the bases. And having a REAL #3 hitter means we should hopefully NEVER AGAIN see the baseball abomination of Adam Dunn hitting third (a bizarre position for him against righties; absolutely indefensible against lefties).

Now, let's get a WBC moment for ADA!

Edited by CyAcosta41

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 11:46 AM)
Hopefully he didn't blow his load for the season.

He had a bad WBC up until last night. I'm just glad he took a couple good swings last night.

Hopefully he's good enough to be the 3-hitter all year.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 11:49 AM)
He had a bad WBC up until last night. I'm just glad he took a couple good swings last night.

Hopefully he's good enough to be the 3-hitter all year.

I saw the HR; it was a hung curve ball. Not to take away from Rios but any major leaguer would have crushed that.

Japan played pretty bad and PR played pretty flawless. That's baseball.

Edited by pettie4sox

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 12:20 PM)
One HR in a WBC game will have zero affect on the Sox season, unless Rios hurt himself during the swing or home run trot.

True but we know that Rios has a Jekyll and Hyde personality.

Edited by pettie4sox

Much more being made from this than intended.

Yes, Rios was having a poor WBC before that one swing. Big deal -- too early for performance to count, WBC or not.

Yes, that was only one swing.

Yes, poor pitch (according to Rios a hanging change and not a hanging curve); and yes again, a big league hitter should crush such a pitch.

All that said, being the hero in an important game (and it is an important game for some) can't help but help his psyche. And it's pretty clear that a confident Rios is a good Rios.

So, yay ... along with a solid year with good mechanics behind him in 2012, this experience is another small positive in what we all hope is a solid 2013 performance for our projected #3 hitter. A good start from DeAza, Keppinger, and Rios -- as 1, 2, and 3 -- should ensure that the Adam Dunn #3 black hole never happens again!

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 05:57 PM)
Much more being made from this than intended.

Yes, Rios was having a poor WBC before that one swing. Big deal -- too early for performance to count, WBC or not.

Yes, that was only one swing.

Yes, poor pitch (according to Rios a hanging change and not a hanging curve); and yes again, a big league hitter should crush such a pitch.

All that said, being the hero in an important game (and it is an important game for some) can't help but help his psyche. And it's pretty clear that a confident Rios is a good Rios.

So, yay ... along with a solid year with good mechanics behind him in 2012, this experience is another small positive in what we all hope is a solid 2013 performance for our projected #3 hitter. A good start from DeAza, Keppinger, and Rios -- as 1, 2, and 3 -- should ensure that the Adam Dunn #3 black hole never happens again!

I follow your point. This is still Spring Training too regardless if it's WBC or in Arizona. Rios had a real solid year last season and I think he will do it again.

It is easy to say that any major league hitter would crush a high change-up or curve after someone else actually does it.

Just for the record, that was a majestic home run that was hit high into the night.

What a dramatic moment for their fans. I saw a couple of them fans with White Sox jackets on

so that can't hurt our club.

Rios seems like a pretty nice guy who always conducts himself with class so I am proud that Rios is on our club.