FutureSox: The 2015 Infield Traffic Jam

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 08:33 AM)
a trade is an option but I really can see 1 being moved to the outfield. esp if DV

is still with the team.

Here's the problem with what you just said.

First of all, the team has repeatedly said that Micah seems best fit for 2b. He doesn't have a strong arm and IIRC he's already had some arm issues, so you can't expect him to handle a corner OF spot or even move across the infield.

Carlos is likely to be the weakest hitter of the 3, which generally seems like a poor fit for the OF.

Marcus seems like the best candidate to spend some time at a corner OF spot. His bat could play there, he's fast enough to cover ground, and they've moved him around to positions including the OF anyway. It would be nicer if his bat could play in the infield and we found a bigger bat in the OF because we'd get more offense out of it, but maybe that's ok if he's cheap and we want to spend money on the bullpen.

But the problem with Marcus and Viciedo being on the team is, they're both righties. There's no obvious way for them to split time unless you're putting one at DH. Viciedo would seem like a poor backup OF since he's so streaky and he's never going to be a defensive replacement for someone, and if you put Viciedo at DH and Semien in the OF, then we have 2-3 weak hitting lefties in the lineup, which is a setup the manager does not want.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 01:02 PM)
Here's the problem with what you just said.

First of all, the team has repeatedly said that Micah seems best fit for 2b. He doesn't have a strong arm and IIRC he's already had some arm issues, so you can't expect him to handle a corner OF spot or even move across the infield.

Carlos is likely to be the weakest hitter of the 3, which generally seems like a poor fit for the OF.

Marcus seems like the best candidate to spend some time at a corner OF spot. His bat could play there, he's fast enough to cover ground, and they've moved him around to positions including the OF anyway. It would be nicer if his bat could play in the infield and we found a bigger bat in the OF because we'd get more offense out of it, but maybe that's ok if he's cheap and we want to spend money on the bullpen.

But the problem with Marcus and Viciedo being on the team is, they're both righties. There's no obvious way for them to split time unless you're putting one at DH. Viciedo would seem like a poor backup OF since he's so streaky and he's never going to be a defensive replacement for someone, and if you put Viciedo at DH and Semien in the OF, then we have 2-3 weak hitting lefties in the lineup, which is a setup the manager does not want.

dang i forgot about that.

however all these problems you mention are on the dime. oh what a

beautiful problem to have going into spring training.

i wish i was in chi, i will lining up to buy my season tickets.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 07:22 AM)
what will the sox do if all 3, Sanchez, Johnson and Semien have a good spring?

I'd think Johnson in AAA, Sanchez starts most games at 2nd hoping to show off his good glove and some improved hitting while building up his trade value. Semien platoon at 3B with Gillaspie and gets some time at 2B, SS (like 1 game), maybe LF and even DH.

Not knowing what the offseason acquisitions might be, I'm honestly most excited to see what Semien can do next year based on his September in Chicago and season in AAA. The BB/K rate is impressive and what kind of gets overlooked is that between the minors and majors he hit 21 homers in each of the last 2 years.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Oct 19, 2014 -> 04:11 AM)
I'd think Johnson in AAA, Sanchez starts most games at 2nd hoping to show off his good glove and some improved hitting while building up his trade value. Semien platoon at 3B with Gillaspie and gets some time at 2B, SS (like 1 game), maybe LF and even DH.

Not knowing what the offseason acquisitions might be, I'm honestly most excited to see what Semien can do next year based on his September in Chicago and season in AAA. The BB/K rate is impressive and what kind of gets overlooked is that between the minors and majors he hit 21 homers in each of the last 2 years.

and that is what I am talking about. those 3 infielder will help facilitate in the

rebuilding and will be the cornerstone that stabilize any young and rebuilding team.

I just hate the idea of losing 1 of them to trades. Spring and this offseason will

will give us how well the sox will be next season.