Valentin

toasty

Welcome Aboard Toasty...

As far as Jose goes, I don't like him as our shortstop. I will live with him as long as we don't sign anyone.

Still, I would love to see someone like Hummell or Harris step up, so Jimenez could move to short with the other playing 2nd and hitting 2nd behind Jimenez. The flaw is, it would be very difficult to compete with two, basically rookies, hitting 1 and 2 in the lineup.

We have a very young team, so having Manos out their is probably a good thing cause we at least know what we have in him.

Thats not to say I'd rather have a different veteran shortstop or 2nd baseman at 4.5 million a year, cause I would.

I do think that everyone over-rates Manos when saying he made the 2000 team. That team over-achieved. Eldred, Baldwin, etc. had career years and the team was healthy.

This team is more talented than that one, and it will be interesting to see what happens.

If crede develops like I think he can, and Frank comes back with Maggs and PK continually growing, we'll have an amazing offense.

Buerhle, Wright and Garland are all pretty decent and developing while Rauch is real good. Ritchie can't be as bad and we have Biddle back their as well. We also have a bullpen that rivals the 2000 one, so things don't look too bad, even if we go into next year without making any more changes.

people talk as if Valentin's errors in 2000 helped us. THEY DIDN'T. we just had a great offense, deep rotation, a strong bullpen to make up for it.

if great things happen around a player, the performance of that player, no matter how bad, won't have an effect. things clicked in 2000.

we didn't lose in 2001 cause Clayton was at short, as much as people want to believe. we lost in 2001 because we simply weren't that good. we got extremely lucky in 2000. in 2001 our pitchers got hurt, Thomas was out, and guys simply came back down to earth.

I will accept Valentin at short this year. reason is because we aren't gonna deal him and I feel comfortable with Jimenez, Crede and Olivo in the infield now. they are much better than what we had the past couple years and will make up for Valentin's pitiful glove.

Originally posted by Molto

people talk as if Valentin's errors in 2000 helped us.  THEY DIDN'T.  we just had a great offense, deep rotation, a strong bullpen to make up for it.

if great things happen around a player, the performance of that player, no matter how bad, won't have an effect.  things clicked in 2000.

we didn't lose in 2001 cause Clayton was at short, as much as people want to believe.  we lost in 2001 because we simply weren't that good.  we got extremely lucky in 2000. in 2001  our pitchers got hurt, Thomas was out, and guys simply came back down to earth.

I will accept Valentin at short this year. reason is because we aren't gonna deal him and I feel comfortable with Jimenez, Crede and Olivo in the infield now.  they are much better than what we had the past couple years and will make up for Valentin's pitiful glove.

but when we won, we had the right chemistry in the clubhouse. the talent didn't really change, except for clayton and the injuries. then last yr we got ritchie for pit and still had a cancer in the clubhouse. how much did that affect us

I am excited to see crede in his first full season! as for leadoff, i think jiminez will work out, but if he struggles, manos is available. I recall ray-ray being moved from leadoff when he couldnt hack it anymore and manos stepped in and did very well i thought.

Closer by committee is crap if you have a legit closer.

No way will Manuel be able to go with any committee with Koch in their. He could with Foulke, mainly because people got on Foulke early.

Still, we do have a very deep bullpen and if Koch has pitched a lot, we may just give him an extra day off and go with Marte or Osuna or even Glover if needed.

Two years ago, I Thought the Sox would groom him as the future closer.

He's got a hard fastball, a good change, and a nice curve.

The guy has enough pitches. I like him as a swingman though, mainly because he can go a couple innings and be a real workhorse out of the pen.

Plus, I love Koch.

Biddle will be in the pen to start the season, and I'll give him a shot. Otherwise the Sox would likely move him to the minors as an insurance plan or simply deal him.

Still, he has had a full year back from injury so he could become pretty productive for the Sox. He has a great fastball and curve.