what to do with leifer

toasty

Leifer is destined to play off the bench if he sticks with the WS but he's not an off the bench kind of guy. Should the sox give him the majority of playing time at some position so other teams can see him develop a rythm (to improve value) then trade him for a real bench utility guy?

If the Sox roster, offensively, doesn't change, then Liefer should stay on the bench.

The only positions he could play are lf, 1b, or Dh. He could also play 3rd, but we have Crede, and he's going to be get the playing time.

Lee had a very good second half of the season, where he showed that he may be on the verge of having a huge year.

Then in PK, we just signed him long term, and he is continually getting better and is only 26 or so, so Liefer won't be playing their.

The White Sox definately won't be benching Frank Thomas for Liefer either.

Jeff should see good playing time though. Manuel will try to get him in more often this year, but still, he hasn't done anything to earn that playing time.

If the Sox move Lee for a pitcher, then Liefer should start, but the Sox should aslo go with a backup plan.

Basically, Liefer is at best a backup. On a sidenote, I don't see many teams that he would actually start for.

He should be back 100% by the seasons start.

Thats not to say his future is as our starting centerfielder. The Sox have quietly been looking to add someone like Shinjo as a backup plan. Willie Harris is also getting extended playing time in Centerfield during the Winter Leagues, so he can also play their.

Of course the golden boy, Joe Borchard, should be roaming their or in Right(Maggs moves to left) in 2 years. He needs one more year in the minors, imo.

Originally posted by toasty

when getting decent playing time, leifer has been alright, thus the thinking that if he is given decent playing time then he will look better to other teams (maybe by trade deadline) to be worth a prospect or two

I think Williams has explored it, but its hard to have value when you've sat on the bench and didn't produce much at all last season.

But Liefer can't play in center. Rowand is the only centerfielder.

Aaron will eventually be a very good 4th outfielder.

Oh ya, along with Shinjo, the Sox are supposedly interested in Orlando Palmerio

Let me say, I've watched Palmerio since he's been on the Angels (I go to like 20 Angel games a season) and this guy would be an awesome #2 hitter.

If we were to sign him, I guarantee he would become our starting centerfielder.

He's like a less talented version of Darrin Erstad.

The guy will hit .280, can bunt, decent speed, solid defense.

He could hit better too. Last season he hit right around .300 and played in a lot of games.

Originally posted by toasty

i wasnt suggesting a position swap with leifer/rowand, but that rowand's personality and style would fit a bench player better

Well, if Liefer is giong to catch on, it will have to be as a role player so he better learn to adjust.

I think the Brewers are about the only team in the majors that would start him.

Guest hotsoxchick1

NO BREWERS TRADES...... what part of i dont want any posiblilty of clayton ending up back here dont you understand....you know kw would foam at the mouth if he could get him back cheaper.........

How about this, trade Liefer for Juan Encarnacion of the Marlins. He has good power, good avg. and a great defensive outfielder. He can play centerfield for us and give us a much needed left handed bat in our lineup (I believe he is lefty). Hey who knows we might get him the Marlins are always unloading players.