For Jas, Cerbaho-WG or anyone who cares to comment

aboz56

Who do you guys think our top 10 prospects are at this point?

We traded a lot away this year (Ring, Webster to name a few) and obviously certain players flew up the charts (Reed).

Interested to get anyone who has the knowledge to give their take on this.

Thanks.

We traded a lot away this year (Ring, Webster to name a few) and obviously certain players flew up the charts (Reed).

Thanks.

go to futuresox to find out

For me:

Reed

Cotts

Honel

Wing

Anderson

Borchard

Rauch

Munoz

Pacheco

McCarthy

Deininger

I may be forgetting cause I'm thinking of this rather quickly. I don't think much of Borchard right now and the Sox only good outfield prospects are so raw so I only put Anderson on the list. But Anderson and Sweeney both could be up there and I'd say Nanita, but I'd like to see what he does at higher levels first.

Thanks.

go to futuresox to find out

FutureSox will be down until the start of next season when it will re-open with some changes.

For me:

Reed

Cotts

Honel

Wing

Anderson

Borchard

Rauch

Munoz

Pacheco

McCarthy

Deininger

I may be forgetting cause I'm thinking of this rather quickly.  I don't think much of Borchard right now and the Sox only good outfield prospects are so raw so I only put Anderson on the list.  But Anderson and Sweeney both could be up there and I'd say Nanita, but I'd like to see what he does at higher levels first.

Thanks Jas.

For me:

Reed

Cotts

Honel

Wing

Anderson

Borchard

Rauch

Munoz

Pacheco

McCarthy

Deininger

I may be forgetting cause I'm thinking of this rather quickly.  I don't think much of Borchard right now and the Sox only good outfield prospects are so raw so I only put Anderson on the list.  But Anderson and Sweeney both could be up there and I'd say Nanita, but I'd like to see what he does at higher levels first.

Thanks Jas.

And if I had to have 10, I'd probably pull Rauch. I know he's experienced and all but at this point he doesn't have the stuff. I am gonna give him one more year though cause it can take upwards of two years to finally be recovered and ready, so if he's gonna recover his pre injury stuff, this next season would be when he burst back onto the scene.

As far as some other guys I'm high on: Majewksi and Sanders and I think Malone may find his way back. I've been off and on with Malone for a long time. The Schnur is pretty damn good too. Probably the best infield prospect the Sox have and I also like Valido and Gonzo, Lopez and Yan have potential but the bats of all this kids have to get better.

too bad we gave away hummel........ :o

Hummel will be alright, imo. Not an all star but a solid player. I like Sullivan a lot though and I hope the Sox keep him.

Can they work a long term deal with him and not pay him near the current rate?

If so say a 3 yr 6 mill deal wouldn't be too shabby and I think it would be fair. He gets a guaranteed contract and knows that at the end of his career he will have enough money to retire and his family can know it stays in one place.

1) Honel. Has too much upside not to be #1, with all do respect to Reed.

2) Reed. Won't be surprised if he's platooning around the outfield in Chicago next year.

3) Cotts. Should be fine.

3) Borchard. Poor season, strong ending.

4) Wing. Had unbelievable first half, leveled off in the 2nd half.

5) Diaz. Showed some very strong starts at the end of the year before getting injured.

6) Munoz. Overworked in 2002.

7) Anderson. Surgery doesn't sound too serious.

8) Malone. Sky is still the limit for him.

9) Sweeney. Huge steal in the 2nd round.

10) McCarthy. Numbers are impressive, but still only Rookie ball.

Don't forget about Nanita, but I think putting a 14th rounder in the top 10 is a bit of a stretch.

1) Honel. Has too much upside not to be #1, with all do respect to Reed.

2) Reed. Won't be surprised if he's platooning around the outfield in Chicago next year.

3) Cotts. Should be fine.

3) Borchard. Poor season, strong ending.

4) Wing. Had unbelievable first half, leveled off in the 2nd half.

5) Diaz. Showed some very strong starts at the end of the year before getting injured.

6) Munoz. Overworked in 2002.

7) Anderson. Surgery doesn't sound too serious.

8) Malone. Sky is still the limit for him.

9) Sweeney. Huge steal in the 2nd round.

10) McCarthy. Numbers are impressive, but still only Rookie ball.

Don't forget about Nanita, but I think putting a 14th rounder in the top 10 is a bit of a stretch.

Ours were pretty close as usual. :headbang

Only big difference was I put Pacheco in their instead of Diaz and had Deininger instead of Sweeney, although Sweeney has more upside then almost anyone.

just looking at minor league numbers -- and seeing Charlotte in person -- here is my list.

1. Honel. Continues to average a strikeout per inning as he moves up the system. Solid control. Still needs another year in the minors. No reason to rush him or overwork him.

2. Reed. Hard to believe the guy could hit over .400 in a half year of AA in his first full season as a pro. Great control of the strike zone. Seems to be an above average runner. Power remains the only question.

3. Cotts. Didn't handle the big-league pennant race. And the control problems are legitimate. If he figures it out, he'll be OK. But there is no assurance the control will come.

4. Pacheco. Got to like 20 fewer hits than innings pitched at AA. What you have to question is strikeouts, only 116 in 151 innings. No sure thing.

5. Borchard. Time is running out. He'll get every chance because of the $5 million bonus, but 103 whiffs and only 27 walks in 435 at bats and mediocre power numbers in a hitters' park are a major, major alarm.

6. Rauch. Sox did what they should have done in 2002 -- used him carefully. Only threw 125 innings. He's got excellent control. Still wonder if he has enough velocity to be more than a No. 4 or 5 starter.

7. Wylie. Another forgotten man because of arm troubles. Only threw 57 innings at Birmingham with mixed results. But they must see something because they're sending him to the Arizona Fall League.

8. Munoz. Promoted quickly -- too quickly for a guy who didn't turn 21 until late June. Pitched much better the last two months, carving his ERA down to 4.75 after it was in the mid 6s most of the summer. 63 Ks in 55 innings shows he's got a strikeout pitch.

9. Yan. You've got to be intrigued by a guy who keeps stealing 75-plus bases every year. Only hit .264 with NO power, not even gap power. That's a problem -- only 16 extra base hits. Needs to increase his walk total if that's all he's going to hit.

10. Bajenaru. Another forgotten man because of arm problems. Took over as closer for Birmingham after Ring left and rang up 14 saves, averaging a strikeout per inning.

*I didn't include Anderson, Nanita, Sweeney, McCarthy, Valido, Castro, Bounds, King, Young, Johnson or any of the other short-season A guys because they're SOOOO far away from the big leagues.

*I don't think it's a very impressive list. Don't see many guys there who can help next year.

OK everyone here is the real list according to Bullard and Cotts. (We are really bored here in instructional league so we thought we would throw out our list.)

1. Reed - He's freakin good!

2. Cottsy - He's really good too!

3. Honel - Ya you guessed it, he's really good too!

4. Pacheco - He really put himself on the radar this year and he was our ace in Bham

5. Winger - He has flashed some serious s*** and is only gonna get better.

6. Borchard - Even though he had a tough year he is still really good too!

7. Morse/Lopez/Valido/Yan/Gonzo - They are so similar its tough to pick one. They all had decent years but they also all flashed some tools that are definitely projectable.

8. Munoz - Had a bad start but finished strong in AAA

9. Bajenaru - Came back strong from TJ and had a hell of a year. Probably the best reliever in our org.

10. Anderson/Sweeney - they are like the same dude. We couldnt pick one so they will go together.

*Others who arent quite top ten worthy include Meaux, Biko, Bull, Gload, Diaz, Adkins, Phillips, Fields, Deiny, Majewski, McCarthy, Sanders, Rauch

*One thing we must say is that age is not a very big factor for us to include or exclude someone but the class of 2003 were ostly left out because they havent really done s*** yet, but Anderson, Sweeney, and Valido must be included not only because they are good but because we have seen them in action in instructs.

PS Insrtucts is going well but its hot as piss out here. Peace :stupid

3. Honel - Ya you guessed it, he's really good too!

Bull, got a question for ya....... Should it be a concern that Honel's velocity seems to be nowhere near what is reported? The night he pitched in Birmingham, he never reached 90 at all. A scout told me he saw him 4 different times this year and he always topped out at 88.

I'm not one to dwell on radar gun readings, but I wonder when for 2 years you hear a guy throws 93-94, but it isn't happening.

I did like his breaking ball, but I don't recall him throwing it for strikes a lot, which will bite him in the ass at higher levels.

Hype aside, what do you really see in Honel and other than ST, how much have you seen him pitch? Is he there in instructs? Your thoughts are apreciated and I am out! Gracias......

OK everyone here is the real list according to Bullard and Cotts.  (We are really bored here in instructional league so we thought we would throw out our list.)

1.  Reed - He's freakin good!

2.  Cottsy - He's really good too!

3.  Honel - Ya you guessed it, he's really good too!

4.  Pacheco - He really put himself on the radar this year and he was our ace in Bham

5.  Winger - He has flashed some serious s*** and is only gonna get better.

6.  Borchard - Even though he had a tough year he is still really good too!

7.  Morse/Lopez/Valido/Yan/Gonzo -  They are so similar its tough to pick one.  They all had decent years but they also all flashed some tools that are definitely projectable. 

8.  Munoz - Had a bad start but finished strong in AAA

9.  Bajenaru - Came back strong from TJ and had a hell of a year.  Probably the best reliever in our org.

10.  Anderson/Sweeney - they are like the same dude.  We couldnt pick one so they will go together.

*Others who arent quite top ten worthy include Meaux, Biko, Bull, Gload, Diaz, Adkins, Phillips, Fields, Deiny, Majewski, McCarthy, Sanders, Rauch

*One thing we must say is that age is not a very big factor for us to include or exclude someone but the class of 2003 were ostly left out because they havent really done s*** yet, but Anderson, Sweeney, and Valido must be included not only because they are good but because we have seen them in action in instructs.

PS  Insrtucts is going well but its hot as piss out here. Peace :stupid

thanks for responding

Sox fans who have watched this entire season, especially the last 8 games, starting with the two Minny losses in Chi, need the pick-me up. totally deflating the last 8 games.

hang in there.

we need help

hope you guys deliver

Best of luck. Hope you're in Chicago soon. Neal, too.

Only guy I mentioned that you didn't was Wylie. What's up with him?

Purvis, too?

Rex, it seems that every first rounder's velo is always over hyped. 90-94 means 87-92 in most cases. Also most scouts that scout amateurs use the JUGS gun which is always 2-3 mph's faster than the Stalkers we use in pro ball. I mean when I pitched at Fullerton before the draft the scouts had me at 89-94 but since ive been in pro ball I havent hit anything over 91 and I pitch as you probably know at 88 89.

Honel is good but he does need to gain more command of his curveball to pitch at the higher levels beacuase they will not chase it like they do in A ball. His velo, since I have seen him in Bristol in 2001 and in Bham this year, is always around 88- 90. He'll probably get a full year at AA next year so you will have plenty of time to evaluate him.

Rex, it seems that every first rounder's velo is always over hyped.  90-94 means 87-92 in most cases.  Also most scouts that scout amateurs use the JUGS gun which is always 2-3 mph's faster than the Stalkers we use in pro ball.  I mean when I pitched at Fullerton before the draft the scouts had me at 89-94 but since ive been in pro ball I havent hit anything over 91 and I pitch as you probably know at 88 89. 

Honel is good but he does need to gain more command of his curveball to pitch at the higher levels beacuase they will not chase it like they do in A ball.  His velo, since I have seen him in Bristol in 2001 and in Bham this year, is always around 88- 90.  He'll probably get a full year at AA next year so you will have plenty of time to evaluate him.

I agree there is no need to rush him.....

And I definitely agree on the hype of velocities.... I have decided to subtract 3-4 mph off anything I read in Baseball America, etc. from this point on...... Ring was another guy that didn't light up the radar guns after even still being considered a flamethrower. LOL

Rex, it seems that every first rounder's velo is always over hyped.  90-94 means 87-92 in most cases.  Also most scouts that scout amateurs use the JUGS gun which is always 2-3 mph's faster than the Stalkers we use in pro ball.  I mean when I pitched at Fullerton before the draft the scouts had me at 89-94 but since ive been in pro ball I havent hit anything over 91 and I pitch as you probably know at 88 89. 

Honel is good but he does need to gain more command of his curveball to pitch at the higher levels beacuase they will not chase it like they do in A ball.  His velo, since I have seen him in Bristol in 2001 and in Bham this year, is always around 88- 90.  He'll probably get a full year at AA next year so you will have plenty of time to evaluate him.

I agree there is no need to rush him.....

And I definitely agree on the hype of velocities.... I have decided to subtract 3-4 mph off anything I read in Baseball America, etc. from this point on...... Ring was another guy that didn't light up the radar guns after even still being considered a flamethrower. LOL

And then their is one of the most classic guys, Jesse Foppert. Hyped at 99-100 MPH and he's in the very low 90's.

Still, I am not one to really look at velocity as a determinant of a pitchers sucess. I'll take movement and control any day over velocity. Look at guys like Alan Embree (For the majority of his career) and sadly Billy Koch. Major League hitters are so good they can hit the straight fastball if they know its coming.

Now if your a freak of nature like Colon and can make the ball jump all over the place, its another story.

Bull...what does Bajernu throw. If I recall he always had a great fastball, but I was wondering if it is all the way back since he's just coming back from such a severe injury.

Hope all is well with you and Cotts and that you both are having fun, even if it is freaking hot. Best of luck to you two. :cheers

does anybody know what happened to Borchard?

wasn't called up. Is he scheduled for winter ball? Is he having problems with his wrist? Are people trying to talk him into returning to football?

Does he still believe he has a future with this team?

Same thing with Rauch, who never got to Chicago all season.

A couple of years ago Borchard and Rauch were considered two of the top 25 prospects in the game. Now we hear nothing about them.

What gives?

Anybody?

Borch and Rauch didnt get called up mainly because in the thick of a peenant race the number of Sept. callups are limited as to not mess with the team chemistry and to wait money calling up guys who are gonna sit the bench. Both Miles and Adkins outplayed Borch and Rauch and that is why they got called up. I assume Joe is gonna go back to PR for winterball, but I dont know about Jon.

Winningugly dont get so caught up in Joe returning to football becuz it aint gonna happen. I bet Joe has a really good year next year. I would think he is still definitely in the Sox plans. But for Rauch I dont know.

As for Neal and I, Neal is heading out to the Fall League on the 25th and Im stuck here in instructs till Oct. 4 then I m heading back to school to get 5 more classes under my belt.

Rex you may be interested to know that I am being totally changed into a Kelly Wunsch clone. It felt a little awkward at first but I actually have picked it up pretty quick and I think its gonna end up getting me to the Show a lot quicker.