Andrew Miller - no rumor

bmags

I am going to get responses like :

- Left handed! (true!)

- Not even that good anymore (also, indisputable)

However, the hardest thing about the reliever market this year is everyone that looks good has multiple years of control or is on a cheap deal. That sweet sweet meeting of "Pending Free Agent" and "Good" is hard to find.

Would I rather Giovanny Gallegos? You betcha.

But the Cards are out of it, they just are. And Andrew Miller is a pretty expensive pending free agent.

He is not what he once was, however, since his return from injury here are his stats:

14.2 IP 2.00 ERA 66% strand rate 14 Ks 5 BBs ahem...uh 17 h

His velocity on his FB is not where it was last year, but has improved from just an average of 87 in April, to 88 when he returned to 89 for his 4 seamer and 90 for his sinker.

In July he gave up 5 singles on his slider that had an avg exit velocity of 76 mph. Really unlucky.

So the main point is this - At his salary he likely comes cheap, and he's better than Jace Fry. 

And he could be ascending, OR, it was just a blip and he's about to be injured because, he's old and has pitched an insane amount.

His slider doesn't hav ethe drop it used to, but his sinker actually looks pretty good. Is sinker slider my fav bullpen array? no, probably least favorite. 

Welcome to the deadline baby.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am OK with us adding another lefty for sure.  Something like this would be on the Sox scouts to have a level of confidence in his stuff playing up through the playoffs.

A part of me is also still like ... he's a 6'7 lefty. Your stuff has to get really bad before it shouldn't work at all. Or no control, and it looks like he still has some control.