Phil Rogers Article

maggsmaggs

According to Phil Rogers, the Sox are after Juan Gonzalez whom Kenny Williams belives would have a monster season at Comiskey. Also, he thought that the Sox were contemplating obtaining Kevin Brown for Konerko and Valentin, in which contracts would pretty much match. Hope we get Juan gone, if Ordonez is traded, he will be healthy and remember what he did when he was healthy! Also, Carl Everett is back on the radar screen of the White Sox.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now there is one move I'd definately like. Don't know if I like getting Kevin Brown, although a healthy Brown is one of the top 4 pitchers in the majors.

As far as Gonzalez goes, I think he'd be a great acquisition if Magglio is dealt. Gonzalez has a sweet swing and is an offensive force. The question is his attitude, although recently I haven't heard of any issues.

I would do that Brown deal though...even though next year the Sox would be in some cap trouble. The big ???? is Browns health. If you can't deal Konerko, then to me this is the best alternative cause without dealing Konerko I don't see the Sox able to add another stud pitcher and thats gonna be a necessity.

In short, I'd be happy if they did those two things. My question is this, if they sign Juan, he would play left or would they swing him to DH or would they swing Lee to 1st, keep Frank at dh and let Juan play lf.

If they got Juan Gonzalez and then did a deal with Baltimore with Maggs that got you Gibbons, Matos and one other major league player (Hairston, Julio, Jason Johnson...someone else) then I think you have no found a way to really improve your club.

I do believe KW will make one or two or three big time moves this offseason. Some we will be the one giving the big time players, others we will be the one receiving.

Although I'm dissapointed, it will be an interesting offseason.

Heck your not the only one that is pissed.

The big thing to remember is last offseason many were pissed too. There was a lot...the Sox aren't gonna get Colon...no chance thats gonna happen...Sox just want to leak a few rumors to make it look like they are trying.

Bottomline, it took time, but the Sox got their big fish. But again, it didn't work out. The team under-achieved and it may not of had the right mixture of role players and stars. Whatever the matter the team didn't get there, but eventually the Sox made their moves.

Not often do they make their splashed right out of the gate (Exceptoin was Albert Belle and I think Navarro happened pretty quick). KW is usually a player at the GM Meetings so I'd expect something to go down in the next week and if that doesn't happen in the week following them.

My guess is the Sox will be for the most part of the offseason trying to unload contracts and late in the offseason they will go out and try to buy some contracts that they fill will fit their newly designed ball club. Only guy I see them going after quickly in FA is Sully (We'll know that pretty shortly) and Colon or Millwood if they want to go in that direction.

Sometime I think Sox management floats ideas out to keep people interested. So many things would have to fall in place to get this to happen.

1) Kevin Brown would need to approve. Remember Boras is his agent

2) Maggs would need to be traded for Juan to come here.

3) Juan would need to want to come here.

4) koch and his salary would need to be traded.

5) Where would everett Play?Could we afford Juan and everett and lee and Buehrle and Brown and thomas all under 60 million. I think not.

None of these things will happen. It makes great press though, keeps people interested in the whitesox.

Don't we have to offer Sully Arbitration by tomorrow to keep him?

We better or our pen is going to be as thin as ice.

Yep, I think the Sox will offer him arbitration and then work out a 2 yr 5 mill deal or 2 yr 4 mill deal with some incentives or an option.

As far as Everett goes, if he's becoming a possibility again, then the Sox would have to act on it pretty quickly, cause they wouldn't offer him arbitration and take that chance.

I find it hard to believe that the Sox would be able to come to terms on a deal with Carl by Sunday night, which is the deadline since they won't offer up arbitration. This also must be a sign that the market is soft on him. If Everett is here, it all of a sudden makes Maggs and Carlos Lee more expandable and if the Sox aren't able to get value for Konerko they may just move both of the outfielders who do have the value to get a lot in return. Then the Sox just get stuck with Konerko's pay, but odds are Konerko goes much similar to his prior averages (Which were pretty good) and the Sox end up doing pretty well.

That may not be a bad idea. I know a lot would be hurt to see Lee go, but if you could get something pretty good for him in return, it may not be a bad idea. Like if Carlos Lee and Jose Valentin could get you something like Mota, Perez, and try to snag Itzuris (Gonna be tough) I'd say you have to do it, if you know you have Everett there. Then you make sure in the Ordonez trade you get an OF bat and then you still have a more then solid outfield, especially when Juan Gone enters the picture.

It will suck to deal two playesr that I like a lot (Maggs/Lee) but if you can replace them with Carl and Juan Gone for less money, freeing up an addition 10 mill or so in funds for FA plus you can get a pitcher in return, Mota, Itzuris, Gibbons, Matos and someone else...then now I think your really talking. You still have to find a way to dump Koch, but if you can do that, you got your team put together and just have to find that pitcher...COLON/Millwood.

There still are a lot of options out there at this point.

Quickman,

And just as easily the White Sox could be saying that their next years payroll is less than what it is really going to be.

If we can not believe the press on good rumors, why should we believe the press on bad rumors?

If the Sox bumped their payroll to 70mil they could trade for a KB if they get rid of Jose and Konerko.

Its all about mind games and making people believe things that are not true.

In theory the Sox could be making people believe that they are not going to raise payroll, while actively working to sign free agents.

With the FA market the way it is, maybe Reinsdorf will be willing to take a shot.

Stranger things have happened.

But the reality is you just have to wait and see.

Who knows what could happen, maybe Reisndorf will get excited about a Vlad or Kevin Brown and be willing to spend.

The best thing to do is to look at every rumor and see which ones are best and hope they come true.

Personally I hope valentine and konerko become KB.

SB

Quickman,

And just as easily the White Sox could be saying that their next years payroll is less than what it is really going to be.

If we can not believe the press on good rumors, why should we believe the press on bad rumors?

If the Sox bumped their payroll to 70mil they could trade for a KB if they get rid of Jose and Konerko.

Its all about mind games and making people believe things that are not true.

In theory the Sox could be making people believe that they are not going to raise payroll, while actively working to sign free agents.

With the FA market the way it is, maybe Reinsdorf will be willing to take a shot.

Stranger things have happened.

But the reality is you just have to wait and see.

Who knows what could happen, maybe Reisndorf will get excited about a Vlad or Kevin Brown and be willing to spend.

The best thing to do is to look at every rumor and see which ones are best and hope they come true.

Personally I hope valentine and konerko become KB.

SB

I've ocassionally thought about this. I mean you wouldn't want to advertise raising your payroll because then agents would be under the theory that you have a little extra room in your wallet and try to shell out some more bucks.

Plus, if you go out and say you want a 70 mill budget and then don't get there, a lot of fans would be upset.

I think if a move was out there that would drastically make the Sox a team where you could easily say they are one of the top 3 teams in the majors and it would mean they have a 65 mill payroll (And that they would be in a solid shape down the range) then I think they would do it. This is just me on gut instinct, but I think Kenny could sell the move to JR.

Speaking of which, I'd absolutely laugh if the Sox dealt Maggs (Making 14 mill) for Gibbons, Matos and someone else and then two days announced the signing of Vladdy for like 13 mill. I'd find that absolutely hillarious.

I wouldn't mind Juan-Gone at all.  He's still there in numbers.  And I'm really starting to love that Baltimore deal for Mags, if that is true.  KW should really jump on that sometime soon.  Gibbons is a great all around player that will definitely improve that BA w/ age.

The Orioles deal is mainly speculation. Only way it could happen is if the Orioles lose out on Vlad. They are desperate to get a star and Ordonez would fit that bill.

Well hopefully Baltimore loses out on Vlad then. Who all is in the Vlad race right now?  I know of Baltimore and Anaheim.  Anaheim seems questionable if that offer to Colon was legitamite.  I don't think they would get Colon AND Vlad.

Anaheim will land one more big guy. Don't count on Montreal in the Vlad sweepstakes. They cleared some payroll by moving Vazquez. It woudl really suck if the Expos get torn apart. They got some damn good players.

Anaheim will land one more big guy.  Don't count on Montreal in the Vlad sweepstakes.  They cleared some payroll by moving Vazquez.  It woudl really suck if the Expos get torn apart.  They got some damn good players.

They really do. The Expos were in the wild card race for a couple months this year. If they end up losing Vlad along w/ Vazquez this offseason, that will remind me a lot of the 1994 Expos. They had so many AS's on that team.

They really do.  The Expos were in the wild card race for a couple months this year.  If they end up losing Vlad along w/ Vazquez this offseason, that will remind me a lot of the 1994 Expos.  They had so many AS's on that team.

Its bs that baseball owns the Expos. I feel sorry for the fans of that team cause they know they won't compete and they don't even know where the team is gonna play. MLB needs to get their s*** together and figure out what they are going to do with the Expos, cause the current situation is a bunch of crap right now.

That seriously is a joke. Baseball thinks they have a problem that the Expos only want to play their home games at one location next year. Can you really blame the Expos? That has to kill that team, I remember they basically had a month and a half road trip since their home games were in Puerto Rico.