Best Outfields in Baseball

CSF

Check out what Tim Kurjkian of ESPN.com has as the best outfields in the game.

Rating the Best Outfields

And yet he thinks the trio of Sosa, Alou, & Patterson is better than Mags, CLee, & Rowand. This is the exact reason I hate those assclowns over there at ESPN. Boston's is better, hell no! The Reds? You gotta be kidding me! The Dodgers? Not a chance! Of all the baseball writers, Kurjkian has to be the worst. He never, ever gives the Sox any acknowledgement. If it weren't for Phil Rogers & Rob Neyer contributing, I might never read the MLB section at ESPN.com. The White Sox not having one of the best outfields. ABSURD!!! :angry:

Well, Alou is better then Lee or at least proven and Sosa and Maggs, well thats a break even, but we know that almost all sports writers will give Sosa the nod, because of the homer and fame.

As far as Patterson and Rowand, I am not a huge Patterson fan, but he is very talented and well Rowand isn't near that talented so it makes sense.

Now as Lee grows up this season (He will) then they will be better, especially once Borchard steps in next season or real late this season.

Well, Alou is better then Lee or at least proven and Sosa and Maggs, well thats a break even, but we know that almost all sports writers will give Sosa the nod, because of the homer and fame.

As far as Patterson and Rowand, I am not a huge Patterson fan, but he is very talented and well Rowand isn't near that talented so it makes sense.

Now as Lee grows up this season (He will) then they will be better, especially once Borchard steps in next season or real late this season.

Perhaps, but the Dodgers? The Dodgers??? Don't think so!

Maybe it's just me, but I think that this year, CLee is going to put up some monster numbers. Remember, he started to turn it on late in the year. He is a legitimate .300/30HR/100RBI guy per year. And perhaps, maybe even a little bit better in LF this year. I think it's going to happen.

Perhaps, but the Dodgers? The Dodgers??? Don't think so!

I'm with ya on that. Jordan stinks and Roberts had a career year. Green is darn good though.

Tim Kurkjian is a dips*** that knows nothing about baseball....all he looks at are stats. If you do a list like this, you should take into consideration EVERYTHING....all tangibles included. If he was smart, he'd realize that the Angels don't have the 3rd best outfield...our outfield is better than their's, or if not, it is damn close.

If Tim Kurkjian wrote an article on how to milk cows with your mouth, I think I'd understand his logic more on that than I would on an article he writes about baseball.

What? I'd take about 7 (Cardinals, Braves, Angels, Twins, D'backs, Red Sox, Mariners) of these OFs over ours right now, 1 (Reds) if building for the future, and 2 (Dodgers, Cubs) wouldn't matter 'cuz we're just about as good or have about the same potential.

The outfield the Sox are going to put on the field in '03 isn't significantly better than any of these mentioned.

Tim Kurkjian is a dips*** that knows nothing about baseball....all he looks at are stats.  If you do a list like this, you should take into consideration EVERYTHING....all tangibles included.  If he was smart, he'd realize that the Angels don't have the 3rd best outfield...our outfield is better than their's, or if not, it is damn close.

If Tim Kurkjian wrote an article on how to milk cows with your mouth, I think I'd understand his logic more on that than I would on an article he writes about baseball.

I dunno, if you look at Salmon, Anderson, and Erstad they have 3 real good defensive outfielders and all are good hitters. Anderson had a real good year. Erstad, has all the intangibles, plays great defense, hustles and is a good hitter at the plate, and Salmon put up real good numbers once he got on track.

I think on that one he looked at intangibles a bit.

Of course, our outfield is good.

The Sox outfield can hit. Their defense outside of Ordonez is suspect. If you're talking just offense, the Sox are in the top 10. Looking at the whole package, they aren't.

Ofcourse this is all going on the fact that Rowand is in CF. If it is Harris or Borchard different story.

The Sox outfield can hit. Their defense outside of Ordonez is suspect. If you're talking just offense, the Sox are in the top 10. Looking at the whole package, they aren't.

Ofcourse this is all going on the fact that Rowand is in CF. If it is Harris or Borchard different story.

I also think our outfield has more questionmarks then other outfields, simply because we see these guys more, but we also expect more out of them.

We all know Ordonez is a machine and that Lee came on strong late last season. Some of us like Rowand others don't.

The great thing is, the outfield has an amazing future. All are young and we also have Webster, Borchard, and Reed in the minors.

Well now that Rowand knows that the CF job is his this year, let's see if he can respond. In case he falters, we always have Borchard as a reliable option. I think with a full season though, Rowand should do pretty well. But having Borchard does make it a little bit easier.

I dunno, if you look at Salmon, Anderson, and Erstad they have 3 real good defensive outfielders and all are good hitters.  Anderson had a real good year.  Erstad, has all the intangibles, plays great defense, hustles and is a good hitter at the plate, and Salmon put up real good numbers once he got on track. 

I think on that one he looked at intangibles a bit. 

Maggs is a better outfielder than Anderson....if ANYONE took Anderson over Maggs, I'd slap them silly.

Lee is as good as Salmon and has the age on him.

Rowand could be just as good as Erstad....they both will probably hit for a high average, both hit for decent power, steal around 20-25 bases, be a real good bunter, get on base, and on defense, both will hustle their asses off and make the plays they need to, and will use their arm to their advantage....and to think that we are saying Rowand is a good 4th outfielder. Rowand brings intangibles that Erstad also does.

Defensively, Anderson is better than Lee in LF, Erstad is better than Rowand in CF, and Salmon is better than Maggs in RF...I think the offensive viewpoint virtually evens it out.

I think you mean Rowand as good as Erstad.

Offensively, they are very close...both are players that don't draw a lot of walks, will hit for decent power, will hit for a decent average, will steal 20-25 bases, will make good bunts...I explained it all above. I think Rowand is the key-point in the season. I think we are among the best teams in the league if Rowand performs well...if not, we really don't have a CF....are you going to count on Armando Rios or Willie Harris in CF? I don't want to have to, but we may. Rowand is the key man in the season. He's the kind of gritty, gusty player that Erstad is, and he brings intangibles.

He's not as good, and Erstad has more natural talent...he's the better athlete. Rowand will never be close to playing defense in CF as well as Erstad and he will never, ever get close to the kind of year that Erstad had in 2000....but I could see Rowand being a very similar player to Erstad.

Well now that Rowand knows that the CF job is his this year, let's see if he can respond.  In case he falters, we always have Borchard as a reliable option.  I think with a full season though, Rowand should do pretty well. But having Borchard does make it a little bit easier.

Somehow the thought of Rowand being the man in the middle full time is not comforting. I'd rather see KW bring in someone from the outside than to try to fit the pieces we have into spots they don't fit.

Sorry guys, the only sure fire bonified all around player we have in the outfield is Maggs. Lee is a DH type player, though he is working hard on his defense, it leaves a lot to be desired. Rowand is adequate at best. If he does turn into a Darin Erstad type player, great. But, I feel he'll come up somewhat short in that area.

I still want Brian Giles!!! :)

The Sox outfield will look a lot better at mid year than it does now, with the same players. But, if Carlos doesn't turn it on this year, he might be gone next year. If Rowand is healthy, he will be fine. Not like Erstad, but more than adequate. He knows that this is his year, his chance, to prove he is a real big leaguer, not just a journeyman outfielder. He hit well in the minors and has been brought along properly. Just keep him off motorcycles.