Frank Thomas

Whitewashed in '05

Isn't Frank really a case of he hurt himself in a way? He set the bar so damn high for himself, that when he wasn't performing at his peak performance, people were saying he was washed up. But it was never like he sucked, he was always a good - very good player, he just wasn't as insanely great as he was early on. He never fell into a Griffey like sllump, right?

Great point. I remember he still had above average power numbers during those down years in the late 90's. This is kind of ala Tiger Woods today. He's still won a tournament this year; not even half of the people on the PGA have won something in the past 5 years or so. However, since Tiger's not winning it every week, he's in a slump.....

I cannot see selecting a guy who plays a position 4 or 5 times that season over a guy who plays the position every day.

DH is a legitimate everyday position every yr in the AL and should be voted on every yr, not every other yr. If it somehow puts the AL at a disadvantage then so be it, if it means them dropping the incredibly silly rule of no DH in an NL park then better still.

Great point.  I remember he still had above average power numbers during those down years in the late 90's.  This is kind of ala Tiger Woods today.  He's still won a tournament this year; not even half of the people on the PGA have won something in the past 5 years or so.  However, since Tiger's not winning it every week, he's in a slump.....

I disgaree. I think Frank did not deserve it in 1998 or 1999 because he didn't not compare all that well with the top 1B/DH's in his league.

Griffey was a fast runner (compared to Hurt) and a Gold Glove fielder, so his OPS doesn't need to be nearly as high as Frank in order to offer better "value" than Frank.

Frank's competition came from guys like Giambi, Palmeiro, Edgar, Clark, etc.

Will we be seeing Frank in the HR Derby ?

That would be sweet! I was praying and hoping last year he would be in it because I had tickets, but they didn't invite him. Brett Boone was there and whiffed on one of the pitches, Frank wouldn't have done that. :angry:

That would be sweet! I was praying and hoping last year he would be in it because I had tickets, but they didn't invite him. Brett Boone was there and whiffed on one of the pitches, Frank wouldn't have done that. :angry:

It's not even because he wasn't invited. Frank said that if he was on the AL team in the ASG, he was going to participate in the Derby. So, we can blame Mike Scioscia for this....

Mike Scioscia :fyou

It's not even because he wasn't invited.  Frank said that if he was on the AL team in the ASG, he was going to participate in the Derby.  So, we can blame Mike Scioscia for this....

Mike Scioscia  :fyou

How many times has Frank been snubed? It really pisses me off because he has been deserving in 2000 and last year and didn't get in. :fyou Fan voting.

Just to settle the argument by keninem and tex...

Frank is our 1Bman on the AS ballot.  Not Konerko.  Both can make it.

It's still not fair to Paulie..who has had an INCREDIBLE first half and second half of last year..but it's moot because I don't think Paulie would get voted in anyway.

DH is a legitimate everyday position every yr in the AL and should be voted on every yr, not every other yr. If it somehow puts the AL at a disadvantage then so be it, if it means them dropping the incredibly silly rule of no DH in an NL park then better still.

Exactly.

Frank deserves to be on the All-Star team as a DH.

Chicago's chances just went up when they sent Billy Koch down south (the only thing I can figure, by the way, is that the Marlins, looking for authenticity, wanted a real Billy to wear the mascot costume), but I figure this means Ozzie's just going to stop using the pen altogether (because real men throw complete games, damnit)...

I can't believe no one mentioned this...it is funny as hell. :lolhitting