Article on Cubs, Sox off-seasons

Molto

hey, just figured I'd toss this to you guys this piece written by a guy at the mag seeing it's about the Cubs and Sox's off-season and how the Cubs, the big market team, have done nothing compared to KW and the Sox....

Cubs' Resources, White Sox's Savvy Lead to Different Results

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

By Chris Sprow

Now who was the "small-market" team?

Two days after the Cubs formally decided to take a (boiling) $12.5 million bath, essentially being scalded by Sammy Sosa’s contract just so they could unload him, rumors have begun swirling, many pointing towards Jeromy Burnitz as a fill for the power void left in the corners of the Wrigley outfield.

Which, economically speaking, should leave the Cubs and fans gagging, realizing that to sign Burnitz to play right means they will have spent their entire off-season figuring a way to depart with Sosa, and will still end up paying close to $17 million total ($12.5 million going to Sosa) for a right fielder that will strike out 120-plus times and hopefully hit 30-plus home runs. And that’s if he’s healthy.

So, in the order of off-season objectives, the Cubs list might have looked like this:

1. Unload Sammy; pray for any value in return

2. Solve the closer position and a generally shaky bullpen

3. Get a sound lead-off hitter, or some speed

4. Re-sign Nomar, Michael Barrett, Todd Walker

5. Save some dough to re-sign Ramirez, Prior, Wood and Zambrano next year.

If only the bottom two were the top two. Before the acquisition of Jerry Hairston in the Sosa deal, even No. 3 looked like a waste. Sorry to say it, but Henry Blanco won’t be leading off. And while stolen bases alone don’t make a leadoff hitter, Hairston’s top season in the majors in that category (2001), produced 29. Corey Patterson had (gulp) 32 last year. So, Cubs fans, you got a lead-off hitter, but perhaps by default. Meaning this: Where the hell else were you going to hit him?

Meanwhile, across town, Kenny Williams was quietly having one of the more under-discussed and underrated off-seasons in baseball that didn’t involve a blockbuster trade or contract. Frankly, the White Sox don’t have blockbuster bucks, or players, and thus this scenario was a foregone conclusion. Oh, but it was active. It addressed things.

Like actual needs.

And Williams and the Sox spent money. It was just Sox money, not Cubs or Yankees or Boston money. But it was money, and it changed the look of a team. Williams acted as though there was a plan, and certainly wasn’t held hostage by a single player or deal for over four months. (Would the Yankees, or Boston be held hostage by a player? Well, Boston was by A-Rod, but that seemed to work out.)

The fighting Hawk Harrelson's quietly signed Jermaine Dye, Dustin Hermanson, Orlando “El Duque” Hernadez, Japanese star Tadahito Iguchi, A.J. Pierzynski, and added Scott Podsednik and reliever Luis Visciano to the tune of nearly $30 million. They also kept around Ben Davis, Carl Everett, Shingo Takatsu and Frank Thomas. A pair of three-year deals was also agreed upon with Aaron Rowand and Juan Uribe.

The Sox played a little sabermetrics, and changed the face of a lineup that was all bash and no dash for years. They addressed a pitching staff; if Buehrle, Garcia, Conteras, Hernandez, and Garland can walk out every fifth day, with his payroll, Williams can at least say he’s got names.

If healthy, the front end of the Cubs staff is the envy of any staff outside of New York when you want to get into a “stuff” discussion. But the White Sox don’t have a St. Louis Cardinals in their division, and instead must merely deal with a growing Indians squad, and the same Twins team that calls any off-season when it can keep people in town a success. What's the over-under on a 15 year marriage with Johan Santana and that town?

Kenny Williams addressed every part of his team with little room to hike the payroll, and arguably improved each of them. Lineup, starters, bullpen, defense.

The Cubs finally addressed their one-man-mess of a clubhouse, but still have plenty of unanswered questions, and instead look like a team with more hope than answers.

So here’s the question: Which of these teams was 9 games out of first place, and which was 16 out? It was the Sox and Cubs - in that order.

Perhaps Jim Hendry just did it too well the last few years. Perhaps his moves to get Aramis Ramirez and Derrek Lee were just too slick. Perhaps he has gained a status like Pat Gillick had, where people are just naturally leery of his brilliance, and fear dealing with him. I doubt it. Like Billy Beane in Oakland over the last few years, his success is still based around the development of a few pitchers in Wood, Prior, and Zambrano that were not his own.

He doesn’t deserve serious questioning, but his legacy here is still tied to successes not of his own making. You wonder if the Cubs success will be because of Hendry and his hired hand Dusty Baker, or in spite of them. This is a major market team, with major market dollars, and a major talent inherited to front their starting rotation. Why should they not be successful?

Across town, not blessed with the inborn talent, or cash-flow, the White Sox quietly displayed to their fans a willingness to make moves, to cut ties with a failed recent past, and to tactically experiment with the future.

Based on objective handling of their franchises and immense, or scant resources, one team succeeded, another failed, a Jeromy Burnitz signing notwithstanding.

Regarding that move, as Chris Farley would say, "Whoopdeyfrickindoo!"

When fans line up for tickets soon, though you won't be surprised at who has greater demand, you should wonder who's done more to earn it. If the demand to see Sammy was worth something before, hopefully the void will hold some value now.

His absence is all that's been gained.

QUOTE(southsider17 @ Feb 1, 2005 -> 01:41 PM)
Thanks.

Where can I get this pub?  I'm not too familiar with it (weekly, monthly?).

it's a monthly magazine distributed throughout downtown and in a few of the surrounding neighborhoods ... 700 places or so, 30,000 copies. it's anywhere from 18-24 pages. it's mostly story/feature oriented; for example there are sports book reviews, a story on people like Jim DiDomenico, an Illinois skier, and then a couple months ago there was something on Ben Wilson, who was a top high school basketball player in the 80s who was tragically killed. with that we'll some interviews with Chicago sports guys, whether it's Ozzie Guillen or a sportswriter.

February's issue should be out by the end of the week

My favorite lines:

So here’s the question: Which of these teams was 9 games out of first place, and which was 16 out? It was the Sox and Cubs - in that order.

Based on objective handling of their franchises and immense, or scant resources, one team succeeded, another failed, a Jeromy Burnitz signing notwithstanding.

Regarding that move, as Chris Farley would say, "Whoopdeyfrickindoo!"

Perhaps Jim Hendry just did it too well the last few years. Perhaps his moves to get Aramis Ramirez and Derrek Lee were just too slick. Perhaps he has gained a status like Pat Gillick had, where people are just naturally leery of his brilliance, and fear dealing with him. I doubt it.

Chris Sprow, my foot. Nice article, Hawk! :P

Seriously, that's a good article. After seeing all the local papers swarm to the middle of the Sammy watch and his pending departure and ESPN picking up on the story, it makes me as a fan appreciate that KW addressed needs on this team and filled them. Whether or not they fully work out remains to be seen, but like the article said, the Sox weren't handcuffed this time to one player. When they knew the Mags relationship was over, they quickly cut ties and brought in a replacement. And even though ESPN has fallen victim to that "Yankee" philosophy that the only way you can win is by bringing in the biggest name, it doesn't always fit the need. To be able to acquire speed with Posednik & Iguchi, more bullpen help with Hermanson & Vizcaino, & more starting pitching with El Duque at the expense of one player (El Caballo) is quite the feat, even though those aren't big names in the minds of ESPN and the like.

I'm happy with the makeup of this team, and for once, I could actually care less that the Cubbies are dominating the headlines again. Our team is ready to go, and April 4 can't get here soon enough. B)

QUOTE(ChiSoxFan @ Feb 1, 2005 -> 03:00 PM)
Chris Sprow, my foot.  Nice article, Hawk!  :P

Seriously, that's a good article.  After seeing all the local papers swarm to the middle of the Sammy watch and his pending departure and ESPN picking up on the story, it makes me as a fan appreciate that KW addressed needs on this team and filled them.  Whether or not they fully work out remains to be seen, but like the article said, the Sox weren't handcuffed this time to one player.  When they knew the Mags relationship was over, they quickly cut ties and brought in a replacement.  And even though ESPN has fallen victim to that "Yankee" philosophy that the only way you can win is by bringing in the biggest name, it doesn't always fit the need.  To be able to acquire speed with Posednik & Iguchi, more bullpen help with Hermanson & Vizcaino, & more starting pitching with El Duque at the expense of one player (El Caballo) is quite the feat, even though those aren't big names in the minds of ESPN and the like.

I'm happy with the makeup of this team, and for once, I could actually care less that the Cubbies are dominating the headlines again.  Our team is ready to go, and April 4 can't get here soon enough. B)

well, I admit I swormed to the Sosa story as well, of course mine was critical of the Cubs; revolving around my belief that Sosa was used by the Cubs.

Quite frankly, I want the Cubs to take all the headlines...I like flying under the radar, keeping the pressure down...the Sox, as it stands, apparantly have nothing to lose this season...everyone thinks of us as a fourth place team somehow, and thats fine...let them keep thinking that.

I feel we are the best team in the AL Central...and while the others overlook us because Chicago is all Cubs...the Sox are going to take them by suprise. Realize that the Goliath of the AL Central--the Twins--isn't such a big Goliath.

You can tell I'm excited...as we all should be. There is no way the Twins repeat again, many Twins fans like to point out the ? on the Sox...yet they have more ? than anyone in the AL Central...it's over for them, and I don't care who says otherwise.

This is our division now, the AL Central just doesn't know it yet.

-y2

QUOTE(ChiSoxFan @ Feb 1, 2005 -> 03:00 PM)
Chris Sprow, my foot.  Nice article, Hawk!  :P

Seriously, that's a good article.  After seeing all the local papers swarm to the middle of the Sammy watch and his pending departure and ESPN picking up on the story, it makes me as a fan appreciate that KW addressed needs on this team and filled them.  Whether or not they fully work out remains to be seen, but like the article said, the Sox weren't handcuffed this time to one player.  When they knew the Mags relationship was over, they quickly cut ties and brought in a replacement.  And even though ESPN has fallen victim to that "Yankee" philosophy that the only way you can win is by bringing in the biggest name, it doesn't always fit the need.  To be able to acquire speed with Posednik & Iguchi, more bullpen help with Hermanson & Vizcaino, & more starting pitching with El Duque at the expense of one player (El Caballo) is quite the feat, even though those aren't big names in the minds of ESPN and the like.

I'm happy with the makeup of this team, and for once, I could actually care less that the Cubbies are dominating the headlines again.  Our team is ready to go, and April 4 can't get here soon enough. B)

QUOTE(Molto @ Feb 1, 2005 -> 04:34 PM)
well, I admit I swormed to the Sosa story as well, of course mine was critical of the Cubs; revolving around my belief that Sosa was used by the Cubs.

Which would separate you from the two major papers in this city that became involved in spin control for the Cubs.

No offense to the Hairston Jr lovefest but there are numbers that can't be ignored:

1999 Bal 193TPA 73TB

2000 Bal 212TPA 66TB

2001 Bal 602TPA 183TB

2002 Bal 479TPA 160TB

2003 Bal 259TPA 81TB

2004 Bal 334TPA 114TB

The more he plays the worse his TPA/TB ratio becomes.

Projected over a fullseason & he walks < 50 times a yr.

Likewise he fell back to Earth in the 2nd 1/2:

Pre All-Star 185AB, .324 .390 .422 .812

Post All-Star 102AB, .265 .356 .353 .709

Similar to his 3 yr avgs:

Pre All-Star 517AB, .282 .357 .371 .728

Post All-Star 414AB, .275 .341 .394 .735

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Feb 2, 2005 -> 12:51 PM)
No offense to the Hairston Jr lovefest but there are numbers that can't be ignored:

1999 Bal 193TPA  73TB

2000 Bal 212TPA  66TB

2001 Bal 602TPA  183TB

2002 Bal 479TPA 160TB

2003 Bal 259TPA  81TB

2004 Bal 334TPA 114TB

The more he plays the worse his TPA/TB ratio becomes.

Projected over a fullseason & he walks

Likewise he fell back to Earth in the 2nd 1/2:

Pre All-Star 185AB,  .324 .390 .422 .812

Post All-Star 102AB,  .265    .356 .353 .709

Similar to his 3 yr avgs:

Pre All-Star 517AB,  .282 .357 .371 .728

Post All-Star 414AB,  .275 .341 .394 .735

Quoting Demolition Man in your sig = :headbang