Rocky Biddle

Jim Fainter

umm where the hell did i  say that they didnt suck????? thats right i didnt say anything about it either way now did i........ as for watching a ton more games than i... heh, in your wildest dreams.. i have quite a few more years of watching baseball  on you little boy.... and im not your honey so dont call me that ......thanks.......

Hmm well first of all i watch games outside of Chicago and 2nd of all, if you had watched so many baseball games, you wouldnt think the sox have good team speed.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He just got his 10th save yesterday.  I under-rated him.  Maybe short relief is his niche.

Didn't read the whole thread, but I think you just may be right. He seemed to usually start out with the real good stuff and then go downhill from there.

Guest hotsoxchick1
Hmm well first of all i watch games outside of Chicago and 2nd of all, if you had watched so many baseball games, you wouldnt think the sox have good team speed.

:fyou your not worth the time and energy today..... go play with someone else ................ :D

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/game...og?statsId=6552

OK well looking at his game log and stats, he has had one outing that is accounting for 45% of his era, and about 1/3 of his walks.  9 of his appreances have been perfect, 11 of his appearances he hasn't given up a hit.  He is averaging a strike out an inning, and has only given up one HR in just over 24 IP.  He has one loss where he came in, in a tie game, and only one blown save, of which he went two innings and ended up getting the win.

STATISTICALLY he looks like he is doing a damn good job to me.

hey dude, maybe you should follow another sport then lol. I dont care WHEN he gives up his hits or runs, just that he does.

Now that is funny. It doesn't matter when they give them up, huh? Think about that just a little bit.

Think about what? That i dont care how a closer got a 4 plus era in the nl? Why would i? lol :huh:

If you don't care so much why the hell are you arguing with everybody then? :lolhitting

Pop quiz, hot shot...better closer is...

A. MacDougal

B. Biddle

Neither. They both blow. If i HAD to pick one, id take Macdougal, and use him in set up. Its not fair to make this guy a closer, at this point in his career.

Let me try to explain this to some of you less knowledgable baseball fans. A pitcher can come into the game in the 9th inning, with an 8-5 lead, and give up 2 runs, and get a save.  The SAVE stat is an absolutely worthless stat. A relief pitchers whip needs to be below 1.2, and era below 3, to even be CONSIDERED good.  Biddle is just in a different role. He is NOT pitching any better than he was with the sox.  He is in the NL, facing lesser hitters, when he is completely rested.  Starting pitchers ERAs shoudl always be higher, because when they pitch into the 6th, 7th, 8th innings, theyre pitching tired.  PLEASE stop acting like 12 saves is a great accomplishment.  THanks.

OK, Bmr, I try to be nice, but if you are going to spout off crap, then I'll have to expose you on it. Next time want to accuse others of not knowing anythign, get your own head our of your fantasy ass and back up what you say.

You say Biddle sucks because he has an ERA over 4.00. That is as assinine of a generalization as your criticism of his number of saves. If you understand numbers, you should know that numbers can be derived from different circumstances and that the same number for two different pitchers can be quite different based on how the number was obtained.

You are correct that saves are not a tell-all stat. However, as a closer, they are extrememly important. The bottom line is winning games and if a guy gives up a run yet still gets the save, then the ultimate goal of a win has still been accomplished. However, things with Biddle are not as you say.

Only ONCE has he given up a run while earning the save, the very situation you lead us to believe happens every time he pitches. In 23 appearances, he has given up earned runs in six outings.

Biddle currently has an ERA of 4.07. He has had one horrible outing which has made it that high. Take away his one outing against the Braves and his ERA is 2.35. In 23 appearances, he has given up earned runs in six outings. Not Smoltz-like, but nowhere near horrible.

His WHIP you refer to so sacredly is 1.32, not far above your own benchmark of 1.20 even WITH the s***ty outing. Take out the s***ty outing and his WHIP is 1.09.

I'd think it is quite fair to say that aside from one bad day, he has been pitching very well, even by YOUR benchmarks.

And yes, I do understand that all games count. But in the real world of baseball and not your fantasy world, I'd much rather have a guy have one really s***ty day and be solid over 22 of 23 outings, than to be mediocre over them all, as you want to profess Biddle to be. Your focus is so narrow that you don't have a f***ing clue about wins and losses and how performances affect real baseball and not your stats. Don't talk down to me about knowing baseball because I have forgotten more than you will ever know. So stick to your fantasy world or back up your mouth with info that matters in the real world of baseball when you speak.

I don't claim to know everything but I can certainly call you out when you are barking up a tree you have no business climbing. No one here said Biddle was among the elite 5 closers. No one said he was perfect No one is putting him on the same pedestal of Gagne, Wagner or Smoltz. But he has been pretty damned solid and definitely better than Koch to this point.

But if you cannot be knowledgable enough enough to look into the numbers rather than just on your fantasy stat sheets, then it is time for you to learn a little more about the game itself.

OK, Bmr, I try to be nice, but if you are going to spout off crap, then I'll have to expose you on it.  Next time want to accuse others of not knowing anythign, get your own head our of your fantasy ass and back up what you say. 

You say Biddle sucks because he has an ERA over 4.00.  That is as assinine of a generalization as your criticism of his number of saves.  If you understand numbers, you should know that numbers can be derived from different circumstances and that the same number for two different pitchers can be quite different based on how the number was obtained.

You are correct that saves are not a tell-all stat.  However, as a closer, they are extrememly important.  The bottom line is winning games and if a guy gives up a run yet still gets the save, then the ultimate goal of a win has still been accomplished.  However, things with Biddle are not as you say. 

Only ONCE has he given up a run while earning the save, the very situation you lead us to believe happens every time he pitches.  In 23 appearances, he has given up earned runs in six outings. 

Biddle currently has an ERA of 4.07.  He has had one horrible outing which has made it that high.  Take away his one outing against the Braves and his ERA is 2.35.  In 23 appearances, he has given up earned runs in six outings.  Not Smoltz-like, but nowhere near horrible. 

His WHIP you refer to so sacredly is 1.32, not far above your own benchmark of 1.20 even WITH the s***ty outing.  Take out the s***ty outing and his WHIP is 1.09. 

I'd think it is quite fair to say that aside from one bad day, he has been pitching very well, even by YOUR benchmarks. 

And yes, I do understand that all games count.  But in the real world of baseball and not your fantasy world, I'd much rather have a guy have one really s***ty day and be solid over 22 of 23 outings, than to be mediocre over them all, as you want to profess Biddle to be.  Your focus is so narrow that you don't have a f***ing clue about wins and losses and how performances affect real baseball and not your stats.  Don't talk down to me about knowing baseball because I have forgotten more than you will ever know.  So stick to your fantasy world or back up your mouth with info that matters in the real world of baseball when you speak.

I don't claim to know everything but I can certainly call you out when you are barking up a tree you have no business climbing.  No one here said Biddle was among the elite 5 closers.  No one said he was perfect No one is putting him on the same pedestal of Gagne, Wagner or Smoltz.  But he has been pretty damned solid and definitely better than Koch to this point. 

But if you cannot be knowledgable enough enough to look into the numbers rather than just on your fantasy stat sheets, then it is time for you to learn a little more about the game itself.

BIddle is a piece of s*** and his numbers will always show it..........NEXT?

By the way Rex(and others), fantasy baseball is not about stats, its about projecting the FUTURE output of players. I NEVER said Biddle sucked because his era was above 4. I said he sucks PERIOD and that if some idiots were gonna look at saves, they should look at era and whip FIRST. The EASIEST and BEST way to judge a pitcher is by whip and if you INSIST on looking at current stats, look at whip. Personally, I dont look at stats EVER, unless forced to.

For fun, let's break Biddle down a bit farther....

April 10 - Gives up 1 meaningless run in a 7-0 game. Expos win 7-1.

April 17 - Biddle cames in and gets out of a jam in the 8th. Game tied at 8. Comes back out and absolutely blows in the 9th, allowing 6 runs, 5 earned. Five of his 14 walks were given up here. Definitely his worst outing.

April 19 - Got two outs, but gave up two hits and was removed in favor of a lefty/lefty matchup. Joey Eischen gives up a hit and a run scores, charged to Rocky. Expos lose 8-7. Another bad outing, yet he did not give up the hit that scored the lead run.

May 7 - 1st blown save... Gives up two runs to tie the game in the 9th. Stays in and pitches a scoreless 10th and Expos win in the bottom half, giving Rock a win. Obviously not a good outing in blowing the save, but give him credit for tossing a scoreless 10th to keep his team in position to WIN, which they did and is the ultimate goal.

May 12 - Gave up one run in a save situation. ONLY time all year he has done so. Entered with a 4-2 lead and got the save as the Expos won 4-3. End result correct.

May 14 - Gave up one run in a non-save situation. Entered with score 6-2 and Expos win 6-3. No save, but another win.

Other than those six games, his other 17 have been exactly what you want. One could argue that only 3 of those appearances were actually bad outings.

I'll take a guy that gets the job done 20 out of 23 times any day!

A relief pitchers whip needs to be below 1.2, and era below 3, to even be CONSIDERED good. Biddle is just in a different role. He is NOT pitching any better than he was with the sox. He is in the NL, facing lesser hitters, when he is completely rested. Starting pitchers ERAs shoudl always be higher, because when they pitch into the 6th, 7th, 8th innings, theyre pitching tired.

Bmr, you are full of s***. The above words are YOURS. All you are doing is spouting off stats, YOUR stats, but stats nonetheless.

The whole point of this discussion was that Biddle has been doing a nice job so far this year and that is true and the numbers support it. If you want to play Kreskin and say that Biddle sucks and won't do well in the future, then fine. But don't act like you know more than everybody else and use current numbers to prove your point, when your use of those numbers is flawed.

Admit you were wrong and move on.

A relief pitchers whip needs to be below 1.2, and era below 3, to even be CONSIDERED good. Biddle is just in a different role. He is NOT pitching any better than he was with the sox. He is in the NL, facing lesser hitters, when he is completely rested. Starting pitchers ERAs shoudl always be higher, because when they pitch into the 6th, 7th, 8th innings, theyre pitching tired.

Bmr, you are full of s***.  The above words are YOURS.  All you are doing is spouting off stats, YOUR stats, but stats nonetheless.

The whole point of this discussion was that Biddle has been doing a nice job so far this year and that is true and the numbers support it.  If you want to play Kreskin and say that Biddle sucks and won't do well in the future, then fine.  But don't act like you know more than everybody else and use current numbers to prove your point, when your use of those numbers is flawed.

Sorry bro, his current numbers suck, which support my opinion. Saves are a worthless category.

Bmr, you are full of s***.  The above words are YOURS.  All you are doing is spouting off stats, YOUR stats, but stats nonetheless.

The whole point of this discussion was that Biddle has been doing a nice job so far this year and that is true and the numbers support it.  If you want to play Kreskin and say that Biddle sucks and won't do well in the future, then fine.  But don't act like you know more than everybody else and use current numbers to prove your point, when your use of those numbers is flawed.

Sorry bro, his current numbers suck, which support my opinion. Saves are a worthless category.

That answer tells me all I need to know Bmr. Can't admit you're wrong, can't provide evidence to the contrary either.

Good luck in your fantasy world. I'll stick with the real baseball world.

That answer tells me all I need to know Bmr. Can't admit you're wrong, can't provide evidence to the contrary either.

Good luck in your fantasy world. I'll stick with the real baseball world.

Not wrong, lol.

Guest hotsoxchick1
Hey ride him while hes hot.  Im  loving what Loaiza is doing right now, but i know it wont last. ;)

did the jeanie tell ya that from rubbing your budda belly and readin the wiskers from your goatee?????of did she see it in the reflection off your bald head.........inquiring minds want to know when loz will take a nose dive so we can get him off our fantasy team before we loose out........ :rolleyes: