True sox fans

Bmr31

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course CW got it right, us "old" timers know our baseball history. Enjoyed reading the posts about 67. The Bosox, Tigers, Twins and our guys battling it out for the pennant. (There was no division play then.) White Sox lose the last five games of the year to end up in 4th. I think the team BA was .225 or thereabouts. Of course pitching was very dominant from 65-68. That was the last year in a 17 year streak of winning seasons, the third longest streak in MLB history. For me the real heartbreaker was 64. The Sox only finished a game behind the Yanks, and the Orioles were a game behind us. The Sox couldn't beat NY early in the year which cost them the pennant. However there was a four game sweep of the Yanks in August that vaulted the Sox into first. On the Yank team bus Phil Linz played his harmonica and got in to a fist fight with manager Yogi Berra who objected to any fun after getting swept by the Sox. It was a great story at the time. I don't believe in overemphasis on the past, but this year is turning out "bloody awful" as the British say. Gotta think of more pleasant times.

Of course CW got it right, us "old" timers know our baseball history.

1964 was depressing but I was comforted by the Beatles so it hurt less. :headbang

Your comment on old timers - you realize that in 1967 when we lost that doubleheader to the Kansas City Athletics - yes, the KC A's for you younger folk out there - I was the same age then as my friend Psycho (Old Roman) is now.

Damn, I'm f***ing old.

1964 was depressing but I was comforted by the Beatles so it hurt less.  :headbang

Your comment on old timers - you realize that in 1967 when  we lost that doubleheader to the Kansas City Athletics - yes, the KC A's for you younger folk out there - I was the same age then as my friend Psycho (Old Roman) is now. 

Damn, I'm f***ing old.

Whoa Vince. You remember individual doubleheaders from 36 years ago? I dont even remember double headers from last year... :o

the double header loss to KC was one of the saddest days of my life. In an odd way, it also made me a diehard Sox fan, when I realized how much it hurt me that they lost.

Has anyone actually scheduled a doubleheader in decades (other than making up for rain outs). They seemed like such a bargain back in the day, but they could be so long.... I doubt today's fans could sit through a double header, our attention spans have all gotten shorter.

1964 was depressing but I was comforted by the Beatles so it hurt less.  :headbang

Your comment on old timers - you realize that in 1967 when  we lost that doubleheader to the Kansas City Athletics - yes, the KC A's for you younger folk out there - I was the same age then as my friend Psycho (Old Roman) is now. 

Damn, I'm f***ing old.

Whoa Vince. You remember individual doubleheaders from 36 years ago? I dont even remember double headers from last year... :o

OldRoman, don't pick on Vince. I can remember things from individual games too. Like in '67 when the Sox played the Twinkies at Comiskey. Pete Ward hit a 2-run homer off Dean Chance in the bottom of the 8th and the Sox won 3-2. I had to listen to Twins baseball back then, which meant I could hear the Sox 18 times during the year. I can remember when Ward hit that homer the Chicago crowd yelling and screaming and that was it over the radio. The Twins announcers were silent.

I want to digress for a moment and talk about what's wrong/different about baseball today. I was in high school in '67 and started writing to Sox manager Eddie (The Brat) Stanky through the year. Everytime I wrote Stanky responded sending a post card picture of himself with his written comments. We mentioned the no-hitter pitched by Horel, well, the Sox and Gary Peters got beat by the Tigers the day befoe (a Saturday, which I watched on NBC Game of the Week). Actually Bob Locker lost the game in the 9th. The Sox had a 3-0 lead in the top of the ninth and Peters was taken out after giving up a long fly caught at the wall by Walt (No-Neck) Williams. Locker then gave up 7 runs in the 9th. It was devastating and the NBC crew was saying this could be the end of the Sox and their chances in the big race. I wrote a letter to the Brat right away and told Eddie I knew the Sox would come back and rushed it to the post office . The next day was a DH and Horlen threw the no-hitter and Cisco Carlos and relief help shut out the Tigers in Game Two also. I got a letter back from Stanky telling me thanks for the support and that I had been right. At the end of the season he sent me a package with a bunch of Sox momentos.

Do you think that would happen today? I don't.

I've had the pleasure of knowing a few pro athletes in hockey and football, one superstar the rest role players. They all talk about the days when a kid would come up and ask for an autograph because they were excited about meeting a pro athlete. The kids would cherish them, pulling them out to show friends that they had met a celebrity.

Now as often as not the kid runs to an adult and asks "how much is this one worth?" I don't blame guys that have lost their enthusiasm for fans.

Back in the 60's when I was a little tot we lived on Maplewood Ave near Irving Park Rd. To avoid traffic on Irving, some of the players living in the north suburbs would short cut behind out neighborhood. My friends and I would hang out at one corner with a sign asking for autographs. I remember Santo, Kessinger, Huntley, and a few others stopping and signing autographs. I forget which pitcher threw a no hitter and received a car (Hootin?) he stopped and gave us a ride. Imagine if a 7 year old jumped in a car with a stranger today.

I'm not sure if it's the money that spoiled today's athletes or if they are just reflecting society.

I've had the pleasure of knowing a few pro athletes in hockey and football, one superstar the rest role players. They all talk about the days when a kid would come up and ask for an autograph because they were excited about meeting a pro athlete. The kids would cherish them, pulling them out to show friends that they had met a celebrity.

Now as often as not the kid runs to an adult and asks "how much is this one worth?"  I don't blame guys that have lost their enthusiasm for fans.

Back in the 60's when I was a little tot we lived on Maplewood Ave near Irving Park Rd. To avoid traffic on Irving, some of the players living in the north suburbs would short cut behind out neighborhood. My friends and I would hang out at one corner with a sign asking for autographs.  I remember Santo, Kessinger, Huntley, and a few others stopping and signing autographs. I forget which pitcher threw a no hitter and received a car (Hootin?) he stopped and gave us a ride. Imagine if a 7 year old jumped in a car with a stranger today.

I'm not sure if it's the money that spoiled today's athletes or if they are just reflecting society.

you are very right - the whole autograph thing has gone from kids meeting their sports favorites to a business.

Hooten I think was the spelling.

I've known players all my life, and they too have changed. The house three doors down from mine was rented to black hawk players and cubs players depending on the season. And those were the days when a lot of athletes - all of them almost - worked in the off season since sports was an all year business then - a lot of them were manager trainees at Sears it seemed at 6 Corners (I suspect you know where that is). It was no biggie to know players.

I think your post nailed it. I remember a time a kid would climb into an auto with a player and no one thought anything about it because it was all so innocent, all so what sports was about. If I were an athlete today, I wouldn't let a kid get within a mile of my car for self protection.

I also remember the doubleheader against KC. I remember being so down because because we lost to a rookie pitcher with a very strange name..... Blue Moon Odom. Of course, he went on to become a very good pitcher.

More good stories about 67. I still remember thinking after that season, how did they get that far? The team had no hitting. They did it with great pitching, smoke and mirrors. The 64 team won 98 games, was much more balanced. Should have been a pennant winner. Almost were.

I gave Chris Gatling a birthday gift. I waved to Mark McGwire at the neighborhood swimming pool. I ate dinner in the same restaurant as Manute Bol. I sang Christmas carols to Dave Parker.

This was all in Oakland when I was like five. Since, Ive never personally met any athlete...

I aint picking on him. Im just amazed he can remember something specific from so long ago. Geez, I dont remember what I had for breakfast this morning. Oh wait, thats right, I didnt have breakfast...

I know you weren't really picking on him.

Hey guys. Sorry I haven't been posting on here lately. Been watching all the games. I have been home from college and we have dial up right now so I don't go online a lot. Thing pisses me off too much. Just letting you know I am still lurking around here and will probably be on more soon. See ya soon. Go Sox!

Guest hotsoxchick1
I'm a true Sox fan.

Those who complain aren't.

I agree!

hey your not a true fan if you dont have a b**** or gripe every once in a while.......thats what being a fan is all about.. it cant be a bed of roses all the time.......... ;)

I'm a true Sox fan.

I agree!

hey your not a true fan if you dont have a b**** or gripe every once in a while.......thats what being a fan is all about.. it cant be a bed of roses all the time.......... ;)

That is unless you are Cub fan. :lol:

Guest hotsoxchick1
:D :lol: ahhh even their bed of roses has a thorn in it now........lol............lmao.........ahh ha ha ha ha ha ha ... shamme......lmao...... :D :lol:

I'm a true Sox fan.

I agree!

Especially the s*** we have subjective to this year, it is beyond horrid :angry: