Official NHL Thread

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 12:58 PM)
Hey, whatever works

Actually, now that I read the post again, I thought he wanted a header for TalkBHawks. Looks like he meant a wallpaper.

I'll see if I can do a wallpaper as well.

OK.

I made a new header for TalkBHawks. EDIT: The header is now up. Any problems let me know.

As for a wallpaper, I found a few nice photos of Kane. However, images of Toews are not as easy to come by. So, if anyone has any decent size images let me know.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 10:38 PM)
This is probably the best action shot of Toews, although I don't know if it qualifies as full size.

tx.toews2.jpg

That's not bad.

Sometime in the next week I'll make some sort of wallpaper.

Checkin in on my hockey people. Since i last posted, the Chicago Hounds have indeed folded, a Stanley Cup was won and a s*** ton of trades are happening. Hopefully Kane can live up to the hype. His size is of some concern but if he made it through the OHL, I think he should be OK. Just one more reason why David Koci deserves the body guard position all of next year.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/32371

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/32268

I thought I'd post Koci's two best fights from last season in honor of the 'Hawks resigning him yesterday. I don't know if he's a true heavyweight, but he's willing to go at it with just about anybody, and damn can this guy take a punch (and throw one, too). I hope he makes the 'Hawks roster as the 13th forward -- they're going to need somebody to protect Toews, Havlat, Samsonov and Kane this year, and I don't think it's necessarily smart to throw money at 'enforcers' on the market.

I like the Koci signing. We need someone to enforce out there, even if not dressed every game. He just needs to learn when to fight, more or less.

I'm going to try to make prospects camp Monday and maybe one of Thu/Fri perhaps. Let me know which other day you get off.

Unrestricted free agents can be signed starting at 11:00 am today.

Latest on Handzus, Sassone says could be a Hawk before he becomes a UFA (6/30 article).

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/story.asp?id=327604

I expect at least one "2nd tier" center and one pretty decent defenseman. We'll see what happens, but I don't see us even getting close on Drury, Briere, Gomez. That really shouldn't be Dale's focus anyway.

Let's see what the next 2-3 days bring us.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 06:06 AM)
I expect at least one "2nd tier" center and one pretty decent defenseman. We'll see what happens, but I don't see us even getting close on Drury, Briere, Gomez. That really shouldn't be Dale's focus anyway.

I wonder if the Hawks are, in fact, going to go after a defenseman. Do they really need one? Seabrook, Keith, Barker and Zyuzin are (in my mind) locks to make the team, so long as the latter two don't have absolutely atrocious training camps. You then have Wisniewski, Vandermeer and Johansson for the last three spots with Richmond and Byfuglian behind those two. I think we both agree that Wisniewski, provided he's 100% recovered from his injury, deserves a spot on the defense, but I'd be fine with Vandy and Johansson as the back two.

My prediction is the Hawks landing one top six forward. Because they need a "top line" center, I'll say they land either Handzus or Lang.

Samsonov - Lang/Zus - Havlat

Ruutu - Toews - Kane

Williams - Sharp - Vrbata

Lapointe - Burish? - Borque

Koci

This is obviously subject to change, and I don't think Borque is at all guaranteed a spot next year, but I'd guess that's pretty close...

There's some crazy money being thrown around so far in free agency. It's reminding me of this past baseball offseason, where average players were getting big bucks and the "stars" (using that term very loosely to describe Soriano, Lee and Zito) were getting waaay too much money. So basically I don't want the Hawks to go after Gomez, Briere or Drury -- these guys are going to get upwards of five years at $7-8 million per, and the Hawks need to be able to lock up their own before they handcuff themselves with another huge contract. Marty Havlat is only signed for two more seasons -- he's priority one, followed shortly thereafter by Ruutu, Seabrook and Keith.

So basically my top three priorities are...

1.) Michael Nylander - 83 points (57 of them assists) playing with Jagr last season. He'd make a great center for Havlat. I've heard he still owns a home in Chicago, so I'd offer him an inflated two year deal -- say two years, $12 million.

2.) Michael Handzus - obviously the injury risk is there, so I wouldn't want the Hawks to go beyond three years.

3.) Robert Lang - declining player on the downside of his career, but I think he would come cheap. He had 52 points last year (don't know who he played with, though -- Critic?).

QUOTE(Purdue129 @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 08:44 PM)
per tsn:

Yanic Perreault agrees to terms with the Chicago Blackhawks on a one-year, $1.5 million contract.

He's a good faceoff man, but not the top six center the Hawks need. I can live with him on the third line.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 03:57 PM)
He's a good faceoff man, but not the top six center the Hawks need. I can live with him on the third line.

This better not be Dale saying "here's your #1 center," there has to be something else coming.

If so, it screams Arkhipov all over again - he talked him up mightily when signed, but he was nowhere near Dale's expectations.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 10:18 PM)
This better not be Dale saying "here's your #1 center," there has to be something else coming.

If so, it screams Arkhipov all over again - he talked him up mightily when signed, but he was nowhere near Dale's expectations.

Tallon is in a bit of a tough spot. Most of these guys are getting (or will get) more money and years than they're worth. The years is actually more important than the money -- I could live with the Hawks overpaying for a guy for two years (maybe even three), but when other teams start tossing around 4-5 year deals, what's Dale to do?

That's why the Zus thing could blow up. He's 30 years old and is coming off of a major injury and surgery -- if you sign him for four years and he ends up going all Adrian Aucoin on you, the Hawks are again in a tough spot.

Anything for three years or less I'll generally be happy with, but if it turns out that these pretty-good-but-not-great players are getting more years and money than that, the Hawks might be better off taking it on the chin again and just play Toews on the first line.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 05:40 PM)
Tallon is in a bit of a tough spot. Most of these guys are getting (or will get) more money and years than they're worth. The years is actually more important than the money -- I could live with the Hawks overpaying for a guy for two years (maybe even three), but when other teams start tossing around 4-5 year deals, what's Dale to do?

That's why the Zus thing could blow up. He's 30 years old and is coming off of a major injury and surgery -- if you sign him for four years and he ends up going all Adrian Aucoin on you, the Hawks are again in a tough spot.

Anything for three years or less I'll generally be happy with, but if it turns out that these pretty-good-but-not-great players are getting more years and money than that, the Hawks might be better off taking it on the chin again and just play Toews on the first line.

I agree with you Keith. And I like this signing - one year only, and it's only 1.5. That's not much at all for someone who will contribute in spots this year.

I'd just like to have a #1 or close to #1 center so YP or worse yet Toews has to be thrown up there. That wouldn't be good for his development IMO.

And if Dale doesn't like what's in the FA market, he's going to have to get something done via trade - and again like you said, trade for some sort of decent contract.

I still hope Nylander is on Tallon's radar in the FA pool, for one.

Edited by IlliniKrush