More from your "religion of peace".

NUKE_CLEVELAND

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 10:29 AM)
Meanwhile, all the parents of these kids are all quoted saying they aren't upset about it.

Again, Nuke, I know its real easy for you to label an entire religion of a billion people as evil, but its just not reality.

OK, maybe only a half billion are evil then. (half green, if it were available!)

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 10:40 AM)
OK, maybe only a half billion are evil then. (half green, if it were available!)

Even if its 10%, that's still 100 million, and I'd agree that's a scary number. I am not dismissing that there is a significant, and growing, extremist minority using Islam as a banner for their own hatred. I just bristle when ANY religion is labeled en masse as being evil.

while we may not agree with the punishment, isnt it the individuals personal responsibility to understand and obey the laws of the land in which they are in?

it's ok to sell marijuana in amsterdam. so is it fair for someone to come to the US, sell it, and then complain about the punishment they receive?

as american's (or in this case Europeans) you do not have a golden ticket to travel the world and dis-obey other countries laws and regulations.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 12:53 PM)
while we may not agree with the punishment, isnt it the individuals personal responsibility to understand and obey the laws of the land in which they are in?

it's ok to sell marijuana in amsterdam. so is it fair for someone to come to the US, sell it, and then complain about the punishment they receive?

as american's (or in this case Europeans) you do not have a golden ticket to travel the world and dis-obey other countries laws and regulations.

OK wait... seriously, are you saying that this teacher deserved to be arrested and prosecuted because she allowed these children (Muslim children, by the way) to name a teddy bear Mohammed? You must be joking.

I've travelled a lot, been to about 20 different countries. Yes, you do what you can to respect that culture. You don't disrespect places of worship, or insult people's beliefs. But this was absolutely none of those things. There is no justification for her being treated this way. Its a disgrace.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 12:53 PM)

Like the umteen millions here illegally whose first act is breaking our laws?

QUOTE(Cknolls @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 01:29 PM)
Like the umteen millions here illegally whose first act is breaking our laws?

Pssh, for the 14 millionth time, they are bettering their lives and they do good things for our economy so its ok.

Seriously though, if this sort of crap doesn't show how ass-backwards these people really are... And this is difficult. There's obviously a difference between extremist muslims that strap bombs to their chests - thats a small minority. But this sort of intolerant absolutist stance isn't a small number. Think a year or two back when someone (in the Netherlands?) had the newspaper cartoon of Muhammed. A lot of Muslims went ape s*** over it.

Britian should swarm in and take her back to the homeland. If Sudan wants to say anything about it, Britian should pimp slap them and say "welcome to the 21st century you intolerant bunch of boobs."

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 11:48 AM)
Britian should swarm in and take her back to the homeland. If Sudan wants to say anything about it, Britian should pimp slap them and say "welcome to the 21st century you intolerant bunch of boobs."

Because clearly...this is going to convince these people that the modern, pluralistic way is better than their way.

Amazing. We have a thread discussing an event symbolizing the problem with extremism... and already we have some people indicting an entire religion for it, and others on the other side justifying this ridiculous action.

No wonder this country is having a hard time finding a political middle.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 02:00 PM)
Because clearly...this is going to convince these people that the modern, pluralistic way is better than their way.

And clearly we should be just as extreme and allow intolerant countries to execute people for something like calling a teddy bear Muhammed. I'm not saying lets drop some nukes and blow the country to bits. What's wrong with being firm with the Sudanese government? Cut a deal behind close doors - let her go or we stop funding your poor ass country.

I love these types of debates because in this instance I firmly believe Bush's mantra of you're either with us or against us. If you believe in a fundamental ideal, like freedom (of speech, religion, etc), it makes no sense to me to "allow" other countries to not follow that fundamental ideal. It's one thing if a backwards ass country wants to do it within their borders with their own people (though even then I think we all agree there are times to step in), but when it involves one of your own citizens I see no problem with putting your foot down to stop it.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 02:15 PM)
And clearly we should be just as extreme and allow intolerant countries to execute people for something like calling a teddy bear Muhammed. I'm not saying lets drop some nukes and blow the country to bits. What's wrong with being firm with the Sudanese government? Cut a deal behind close doors - let her go or we stop funding your poor ass country.

I love these types of debates because in this instance I firmly believe Bush's mantra of you're either with us or against us. If you believe in a fundamental ideal, like freedom (of speech, religion, etc), it makes no sense to me to "allow" other countries to not follow that fundamental ideal. It's one thing if a backwards ass country wants to do it within their borders with their own people (though even then I think we all agree there are times to step in), but when it involves one of your own citizens I see no problem with putting your foot down to stop it.

While I don't at all see this as "with us or against us", I would support an operation to get her out. For that matter, I think a good response would be to not just pull her out, but pull some other ties back as well, making it clear that such a reaction is not tolerable.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 12:17 PM)
While I don't at all see this as "with us or against us", I would support an operation to get her out. For that matter, I think a good response would be to not just pull her out, but pull some other ties back as well, making it clear that such a reaction is not tolerable.

I think a cutback in ties is entirely appropriate. Possibly trade sanctions, no idea how much trade is left with that country though. But here's my counterpoint question...what happens if some guard resists an operation to pull this person out? How much bloodshed would you tolerate? 1 death? 10? 100?

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 02:20 PM)
I think a cutback in ties is entirely appropriate. Possibly trade sanctions, no idea how much trade is left with that country though. But here's my counterpoint question...what happens if some guard resists an operation to pull this person out? How much bloodshed would you tolerate? 1 death? 10? 100?

Any operation to rescue someone in a situation like that, IMO, has no choice but to go all the way with the hardware in hand.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 12:30 PM)
Any operation to rescue someone in a situation like that, IMO, has no choice but to go all the way with the hardware in hand.

And that is exactly why I don't think such an operation is sound/justified. Going into a foreign country in arms? It could turn out well (Israel raid on Entebbe), but it's probably more likely, even with technology and so on, to turn into a Desert One or a Battle of Mogadishu, depending on what you send in.

If they seriously want to try this person, I can't see how a military solution is the appropriate response. There have to be other diplomatic options, if we care enough to use them. Usually though, we don't, because we like money and that's more important to us. (IIRC, China has thought to be one of the key players with Sudan in terms of stopping the Darfur mess. But we can't use, you know, our trade with China to encourage them to step in, because that'd cost us money.)

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 02:22 PM)
Wow, and all this just because the kids wanted to name a toy bear after a legendary boxer...

lol, zing!

It's a "with us or against us" in the since that we view as a FUNDAMENTAL RIGHT the ability to say what we want and practice religion how we want. If it's so fundamental, then it's entirely against our way of thinking if we allow countries to punish our own for it. I'm not saying our way is the best way and we should force everyone in the world to do what we do. Obviously that's not right. But when you have a fundamental belief and the issue involves one of your own then you damn well better do what you can to defend those ideals from intolerant boobs like these Sudanese people appear to be.

I'm all for trade sanctions, or economic sanctions, or whatever. It's absolutely ridiculous to condone such activity. The PM of Britain "assured" her family that Britian is "doing all it can" to free her and bring her home. That's bulls***. She's sitting in a jail cell somewhere with her life being threatened. "Doing all it can" means a call to the Prez of Sudan with severe threats if a hair on her head is touched.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 08:20 PM)

We could offer to give them back Manute Bol for the teacher!!!!!!!!!!

:lolhitting

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 03:17 PM)

You mean hypothetically? As in, if she were actually going to be executed?

It's going to be difficult for this lady to live a normal life after this incident. Her face is plastered all over the news. I don't know how you walk down a street by yourself or visit a grocery store without looking over your shoulder. We've seen prior examples of how Islamic extremists hold grudges.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 08:11 PM)
No, for allowing 7-year old Muslim children to name a teddy bear.

Even better.

Im surprised these Islamic thugs aren't out demanding the kids in the class be killed because they have been "tainted" or something lame like that.