Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some great commentary from the National Review re: Weiner

"Weiner didn’t commit adultery or anything near adultery. He committed tasteless stupidity, and there’s no law against that. When reporters first asked him about the expose reports, he should have said “Butt out.”

The biggest offense in this case is the dirtying of the public airwaves and news-waves with ugly, trivial junk; it’s an offense like the one that used to be popular a generation ago with “urban youths,” who would carry around giant boom boxes and play music (or whatever it was) at deafening volumes.

For my part I couldn’t care less what sort of pictures or messages Weiner has been sending around the Net, and it’s an imposition to be required to care; to be unable to avoid the topic. I find that I have no interest in Congressman Anthony Weiner’s sex life or virtual sex life whatsoever. And I’ve heard enough tearful on-camera contrition to last me the rest of my life. I don’t want to hear Weiner’s apology. It’s got nothing to do with me, tells me nothing I want to know; the cable news media, conservative and liberal, would do the public a favor if they would agreed to a blanket tearful-apologies ban effective this instant. And in the future, let Weiner and everyone else who has done some trivial stupid thing that no one actually gives a damn about keep his apologies to himself," - David Gelernter, National Review.

Hannity was on in the background at the restaurant, he spent what seemed like at least half his show on this.

also in before "democrats do it too," because the media does obsess over this trivial bulls*** regardless of party.

edit: not so sure about the not-so-subtle racism in the middle paragraph

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 09:14 PM)
The fact that I read that link hours ago and wound up repeating it here?

The way you phrased it made it seem like you came up with on your own. I've seen it in several different stories on Pawlenty now.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 10:16 PM)
Some great commentary from the National Review re: Weier

Hannity was on in the background at the restaurant, he spent what seemed like at least half his show on this.

also in before "democrats do it too," because the media does obsess over this trivial bulls*** regardless of party.

Like the two weeks we spent talking about John ensign? I remember bet when that happened. Man I was plastered. One almost might think I imagined it.

Anyway, Weiners problem now is that he seemingly used House resources to keep everything covered up, which is a real issue

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 09:50 AM)
Read his quote again... he basically says that Amtrak isn't needed now because of the internet.

You've missed the attempt to make the connection make sense though...Amtrak isn't needed because using the Google, you can find a private sector company that does the same thing.

I mean he's wrong, but it makes more sense than you're giving him credit for.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 08:51 AM)
You've missed the attempt to make the connection make sense though...Amtrak isn't needed because using the Google, you can find a private sector company that does the same thing.

I mean he's wrong, but it makes more sense than you're giving him credit for.

*sigh*

Seriously dude, you have to parse everything to death. I was making a joke about his choice of words and examples. I'm sure he didn't mean it literally the way I put it.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 10:21 AM)
*sigh*

Seriously dude, you have to parse everything to death. I was making a joke about his choice of words and examples. I'm sure he didn't mean it literally the way I put it.

duty_calls.png

Me.

Pawlenty's plan is even more fantastical and absurd than Ryan's (really Heritage's) "2.8% Unemployment!!!" crap that Very Serious People take Very Seriously as a Serious starting point for a Serious discussion.

He proposes tax cuts that would be triple the Bush cuts. A complete elimination of capital gains and estate taxes (the investor-class can now live tax-free!) And a decade of sustained 5% GDP growth.

Republican economics are now a religion. And not a long, storied one like Judaism or Hinduism, but the crazy cult upstart that is bats*** crazy by any rational observation, like Scientology. Of course, it's being received warmly in the WSJ editorial pages instead of being derided for the nonsense that it is. "Tim Pawlenty claims to be an economic sorcerer, capable of performing literal magic, this is a Serious Candidate. Obama, take note!"

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 06:57 PM)
LOL a decade of 5% GDP growth.

Read that really terrible WSJ editorial.

"Oh, sure, he was wrong, it's never been done. In fact, the closest was a couple of years of near-5% under Reagan and Clinton. But it's an admirable goal!"

Yeah, so is ending poverty world-wide and lasting global peace. That doesn't mean it's an actual policy, and it certainly doesn't mean your ridiculous ideas of gutting the government in favor of the incredibly wealthy will actually get you there.

edit: that'd be a 62% GDP increase in 10 years. I don't think Pawlenty understands compound interest.

Ezra Klein

Pawlenty promised that substantially cutting taxes would increase economic growth by 150 percent and reduce the deficit by 40 percent. Some hard truth. Next you'll deliver the bad news that if I stop paying my mortgage, my income will grow twice as fast, the bank will pay off half my loan and I'll be able to use the savings to redo my kitchen. Or perhaps you'll sit me down to explain the bad news that eating more pie will stimulate my metabolism and help me lose weight.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 07:59 PM)

"Oh, sure, he was wrong, it's never been done. In fact, the closest was a couple of years of near-5% under Reagan and Clinton. But it's an admirable goal!"

Yeah, so is ending poverty world-wide and lasting global peace. That doesn't mean it's an actual policy, and it certainly doesn't mean your ridiculous ideas of gutting the government in favor of the incredibly wealthy will actually get you there.

edit: that'd be a 62% GDP increase in 10 years. I don't think Pawlenty understands compound interest.

Ezra Klein

Was that also the post where Ezra pointed out that 5% growth for a decade would also likely wind up pushing unemployment to -1%?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 07:19 PM)
Was that also the post where Ezra pointed out that 5% growth for a decade would also likely wind up pushing unemployment to -1%?

LOL, maybe. But this is the start of Serious Discussions by Very Serious People, just like the Ryan plan! These economic policies are objectively absurd, contradictory, delusional and fantastical and yet they're playing a role in framing our national narrative on government.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 07:59 PM)

Ezra Klein

Obama should just claim 5% GDP growth in all of his plans and we'd have a motherf***ing utopia before too long.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 08:25 PM)
Obama should just claim 5% GDP growth in all of his plans and we'd have a motherf***ing utopia before too long.

If he did that the press would call him on it.

Plans that either push to -1% unemployment or involve $8 trillion in tax cuts are serious. Because they're cutting taxes on the media members.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 07:28 PM)
If he did that the press would call him on it.

Plans that either push to -1% unemployment or involve $8 trillion in tax cuts are serious. Because they're cutting taxes on the media members.

I don't think it's so much about media owners controlling the message as the MSM being so f***ing paranoid of being called "liberal" or "biased" that they bend over backward to handle Republicans with kid-gloves and give them a pass for their terribleness. Oh, and also that journalism is dead, reporting is now just repeating quotes or statements verbatim without an analysis of the validity of what was said.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 08:06 PM)
Cheerleader must compensate school after refusing to cheer for player who raped her

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/am...st-2278522.html

WTF is wrong with this country/Texas/the superintendent/5th circuit?

Yeah i posted that a few weeks ago, pretty disgusting. How about the leaders of the school? How does common sense not come into play there?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 02:02 PM)
Yeah i posted that a few weeks ago, pretty disgusting. How about the leaders of the school? How does common sense not come into play there?

If you asked them...I think they'd say they were doing the common sense thing. Probably while implying that the rape was no big deal.