Midcentury Modern

iamshack

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They told me they are going with another offer. When we asked if we were close, the only thing they responded with was the number they countered with days ago without giving us an idea of the other "offer."

So I feel like she is full of crap and we are going to walk away without playing their games. I have two more showings this week and ill keep plugging along.

If they come back to us I will lower my offer.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 10:20 AM)
In the post above you said you'd lower your offer...so what's your move now?

Silence at first. I honestly have another offer out to another place currently though theirs is my first choice. I told my realtor if they want the offer back its going to be at a lower price point.

I really respect people who are honest in business. When I negotiate I am very honest and forthcoming and try to put my cards on the table. This agent could have done that and I am sure gotten this done faster. Because they lied and tried to play the game I have no qualms in being a total dick back.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 10:27 AM)
Silence at first. I honestly have another offer out to another place currently though theirs is my first choice. I told my realtor if they want the offer back its going to be at a lower price point.

I really respect people who are honest in business. When I negotiate I am very honest and forthcoming and try to put my cards on the table. This agent could have done that and I am sure gotten this done faster. Because they lied and tried to play the game I have no qualms in being a total dick back.

I agree

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 10:27 AM)

I agree with your approach here, they've dug this hole for themselves if they really only have your offer on the table.

Rock...take a deep breath....and another...

Now think about how badly you want this house...you may be angry, but are you really going to care in a week about this?

If you really want this house, give them your original offer and get this deal done. I know your instinct is to try and make them pay for getting cute with you, but is it worth not getting the home over making yourself feel good for like 12 minutes?

I'd give them the same terms and tell them they have 24 hours to agree, or else you are walking.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 10:48 AM)
I agree with your approach here, they've dug this hole for themselves if they really only have your offer on the table.

I dont understand the need to lie when negotiating. We both want a desirable outcome and agents generally will work behind the scenes to get something done. In this case they lied and are ignoring my agent for days at a time. Its stupid IMO. There is no substitute for being completely honest, and if it doesnt work at least we all know sooner rather than later.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 11:03 AM)
Rock...take a deep breath....and another...

Now think about how badly you want this house...you may be angry, but are you really going to care in a week about this?

If you really want this house, give them your original offer and get this deal done. I know your instinct is to try and make them pay for getting cute with you, but is it worth not getting the home over making yourself feel good for like 12 minutes?

I'd give them the same terms and tell them they have 24 hours to agree, or else you are walking.

I'm not really angry, I run into this in my day job fairly frequently. My agent is telling them my limit and they can either take it or we are moving on for good.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 09:07 AM)
I dont understand the need to lie when negotiating. We both want a desirable outcome and agents generally will work behind the scenes to get something done. In this case they lied and are ignoring my agent for days at a time. Its stupid IMO. There is no substitute for being completely honest, and if it doesnt work at least we all know sooner rather than later.

The buyers of my home are now trying to negotiate after the fact. We have a signed contract which does not require me to pay any money for any repairs, and it also allows me, at my option, to rent back from them for up to 3 weeks at $500/wk beyond closing.

They did the inspection on Thursday. My listing agent heard the inspector telling them my home was in beautiful condition. Now they are asking me to repair a bunch of ticky tack things, and even asked me to replace the entire dishwasher!

Additionally, they proposed a rental agreement to me which does not allow any animals on the property!

That was the entire purpose of renting back from them, was so that we had a place to keep the dogs between the sale of my home and the purchase of another. We asked them about this immediately upon them telling us they were planning on submitting an offer.

Now, I was planning on being good to them. We were going to have the house professionally cleaned and the yard cleaned up again after we moved out, so that they walked into a property that was devoid of any evidence of the dogs having been there. Not anymore. I'll probably leave them as many piles of dog s*** in the yard as possible, so that there is a swarm of flies hovering near the house. I will also refuse to repair anything, or agree to their rental agreement whatsoever, because I really don't care if they walk at this point.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 11:13 AM)
The buyers of my home are now trying to negotiate after the fact. We have a signed contract which does not require me to pay any money for any repairs, and it also allows me, at my option, to rent back from them for up to 3 weeks at $500/wk beyond closing.

They did the inspection on Thursday. My listing agent heard the inspector telling them my home was in beautiful condition. Now they are asking me to repair a bunch of ticky tack things, and even asked me to replace the entire dishwasher!

Additionally, they proposed a rental agreement to me which does not allow any animals on the property!

That was the entire purpose of renting back from them, was so that we had a place to keep the dogs between the sale of my home and the purchase of another. We asked them about this immediately upon them telling us they were planning on submitting an offer.

Now, I was planning on being good to them. We were going to have the house professionally cleaned and the yard cleaned up again after we moved out, so that they walked into a property that was devoid of any evidence of the dogs having been there. Not anymore. I'll probably leave them as many piles of dog s*** in the yard as possible, so that there is a swarm of flies hovering near the house. I will also refuse to repair anything, or agree to their rental agreement whatsoever, because I really don't care if they walk at this point.

LOL, horrible.

So I officially reached out to a realtor, I'm particularly interested in one condo that just became active again (originally had an offer within 2 weeks of listing).

I was showing the listing to some friends of mine this weekend and they pretty much said I'd be crazy not to explore buying the place. Plus, a good friend of mine works at GE and was telling me that I could get some realllly good discounts from them for the fridge and W/D the unit is missing currently (for some odd reason they aren't present, but the unit has every other appliance).

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 01:40 PM)
So I officially reached out to a realtor, I'm particularly interested in one condo that just became active again (originally had an offer within 2 weeks of listing).

I was showing the listing to some friends of mine this weekend and they pretty much said I'd be crazy not to explore buying the place. Plus, a good friend of mine works at GE and was telling me that I could get some realllly good discounts from them for the fridge and W/D the unit is missing currently (for some odd reason they aren't present, but the unit has every other appliance).

Nice! Good luck!!

As a vendor for GE I've been trying to get discounts out of them for years!!!

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 02:19 PM)
Nice! Good luck!!

As a vendor for GE I've been trying to get discounts out of them for years!!!

Thanks! Yea I'm curious to see what discounts I can get, he mentioned that his dad is a developer and his bulk discount with GE isn't even close to what he gets so I'm hoping it's pretty great.

Also, the realtor I'm speaking with is recommending talking to my landlord to go over options of getting out of my lease early. I have no idea if this is possible without paying a huge fee anyways, anybody have experience with this? The lease ends August 31st, I figured by the time I close and everything it would be around June/July, a 1 month overlap wouldn't kill me but it'd be nice to use that cash towards the condo.

Edited by bigruss22

Give your landlord advance notice. Obviously there is very little chance that your agreement gives you the right to terminate (unless you have cause).

Hopefully your landlord is smart and works out a deal with you, where they get their property at a specific time/date and you are released from the contract.

Otherwise if its just 1 month, you can stick your landlord by not paying rent. That would mean a 5 day notice, then being served. That is likely 2 weeks. First court date another week, then filing jury demand, discovery, etc, it could be 6 months to trial. Landlord would have to mitigate damages, becomes nonsensical and thus its over.

That is if you are in Chicago, another town may allow for attorney fees, in which case best bet is just to cut a deal.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 03:24 PM)
Give your landlord advance notice. Obviously there is very little chance that your agreement gives you the right to terminate (unless you have cause).

Hopefully your landlord is smart and works out a deal with you, where they get their property at a specific time/date and you are released from the contract.

Otherwise if its just 1 month, you can stick your landlord by not paying rent. That would mean a 5 day notice, then being served. That is likely 2 weeks. First court date another week, then filing jury demand, discovery, etc, it could be 6 months to trial. Landlord would have to mitigate damages, becomes nonsensical and thus its over.

That is if you are in Chicago, another town may allow for attorney fees, in which case best bet is just to cut a deal.

Yea I don't think I'd want to do that, besides not feeling good about breaking a contract and not paying at all I wouldn't want to mess with the courts. I'd rather just pay the rent at that point. I'll see if the landlord will cut a deal though.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 03:31 PM)
He will if he is smart. Because eviction lawsuits are a huge waste of time and money. I just more wanted you to realize that you have extreme leverage in this position.

Definitely appreciate it, I have to think that this is a somewhat common occurance for them (it's a rental company that takes care of everything for the actual condo owner).

Looked at that unit yesterday, very nice but not with a lot of "living room" space. However a very large unit. The part that I liked is the agent told me he isnt paying attention to the comps as the owner wants list price. I can respect someone who is honest like that and I will probably walk away even though I like it. The comps are about 30k less than his list.