Official 2013-2014 College Hoops Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 08:12 PM)
Hope for Tate.

If he's as bad as you seem to make him out to be I'm sure he'll be the one. He could possibly be the last guy off the bench next year because Abrams, Starks, and Snider would all be ahead of him

QUOTE (Boogua @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 09:59 PM)
If he's as bad as you seem to make him out to be I'm sure he'll be the one. He could possibly be the last guy off the bench next year because Abrams, Starks, and Snider would all be ahead of him

It's not that he's bad, he just doesn't belong in the Big Ten. He's a mid major PG. And like you point out, he's going to end up being a waste of scholly.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 10:18 AM)
I wonder if this changes the Cliff situation at all. It was always a long shot, but another lost scholarship may be too much to keep going after him.

Unfortunately for Illini fans, I'd move on from Cliff. He's probably going to be a Jayhawks.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 10:03 PM)
It's not that he's bad, he just doesn't belong in the Big Ten. He's a mid major PG. And like you point out, he's going to end up being a waste of scholly.

You have to tread lightly because of his HS.

I could easily see Starks transferring again.

BTW, if anyone still thinks the Illini could be better than last year, as was the conversation months ago from someone, here's the roster:

3 returning scholarship players (only 1 senior)

2 transfers

5 freshman

1 walk-on soph

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 10:20 AM)
Unfortunately for Illini fans, I'd move on from Cliff. He's probably going to be a Jayhawks.

And Black was going to Florida, and Snider was going to UCLA....

I get that fans shouldn't expect it or be too optimistic about it, but there's still a chance.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 10:28 AM)
BTW, if anyone still thinks the Illini could be better than last year, as was the conversation months ago from someone, here's the roster:

3 returning scholarship players (only 1 senior)

2 transfers

5 freshman

1 walk-on soph

Call me a believer. Without the crutch of BP and DJ either Bertrand or Abrams will really step up. You have to believe that Egwu has learned not to foul out of every game. Nunn I think is BP-lite and will have his moments. I think Ravonte Rice is going to be very good. And hopefully Ekey hits some threes to stretch the floor. Struggles? Sure. A bad loss or two? Sure. But they'll still be capable of winning some big games.

The major problem is depth. They'll have issues with foul trouble and/or fatigue. And an injury is really going to hurt. Hopefully they can manage that stuff.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 10:42 AM)
If he had more than 1 year left, I'd agree about Starks.

Doesn't make a huge difference. From his perspective, for all we know the scholarship was conditional on his waiver getting approved. He can either transfer again and play next year immediately, or stay and be looking at less minutes.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 10:26 AM)
You have to tread lightly because of his HS.

I could easily see Starks transferring again.

I don't think Tate will be "Groced" out if he decides to transfer. If he realizes that he'll never play a significant role for the Illini he might choose to transfer.

Yes, I think Starks will have 5th year eligibility (won't have to sit out a year if he transfers), so it could definitely be him.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 12:58 PM)
Creaning a Simeon kid would be all kinds of stupid.

Yeah, I don't think there's any way that happens. If Tate decides to transfer it would be his choice. He'll likely never start a game for the Illini (barring injuries).

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 12:15 PM)
Doesn't make a huge difference. From his perspective, for all we know the scholarship was conditional on his waiver getting approved. He can either transfer again and play next year immediately, or stay and be looking at less minutes.

Thought I read he wanted to stay in state because of family. That's why I think he sticks. Could be wrong.

What I don't really get is this - if he has a dying grandmother, why couldn't he just take a year off? Why does he need to "go home" 100+ miles away where he'll be busy with school and basketball? I get that he wants to be closer so he can visit more often, but if he wants a waiver it seems like he needs to immediately get home, not wait a year.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 02:35 PM)
Because it's the last chance for his grandmother to see his grandson play basketball?

Turn on the TV?

And if she's that sick is she really going to travel 100+ miles 3-4 days a week?

Btw, having to sit out a year is stupid to begin with. Coaches can leave a school and coach the next year, why can't players?