7/13 Games

GGajewski18

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 10:09 AM)
Barnum pick wasn't crazy to me at the time. But you had to know going in he was boom or bust, with that raw power and not much else. High bust potential, and at this point, he's close to that tag.

Eh, the same people would have complained about a "safe" pick as well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 10:12 AM)
Eh, the same people would have complained about a "safe" pick as well.

I don't mind going for high risk high reward guys, just prefer betting on players who have more than one tool.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 09:15 AM)
I don't mind going for high risk high reward guys, just prefer betting on players who have more than one tool.

Not to mention, the disturbing tendency of the org to value BP displays over hitting approach. Raw tools over actual baseball skill. At least they waited til the 6th rd. this year for that kind of lottery pick.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 04:15 PM)

the point i would like to make is how many times did that worked for the sox, and on the flipside, how many times has that failed.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 12:17 PM)
the point i would like to make is how many times did that worked for the sox, and on the flipside, how many times has that failed.

Last guy I can remember who actually worked out for the Sox like that was Chris Carter. Ironically one of the rare prospects the Sox have traded who has amounted to anything.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 12:17 PM)

The dirty secret is that the vast majority of all people drafted will fail. There is also the obvious fact that the White Sox spent nearly a decade intentionally underspending on the draft and minor leagues in general. The last few years are a different story, and we are already seeing results and changes because of it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 05:33 PM)
The dirty secret is that the vast majority of all people drafted will fail. There is also the obvious fact that the White Sox spent nearly a decade intentionally underspending on the draft and minor leagues in general. The last few years are a different story, and we are already seeing results and changes because of it.

you are correct...... the draft has always been a crap shot.

The draft is like hitting a baseball. You will get a lot more outs than hits, but if you are skilled and have a good approach, you will be successful.

A lot of high draft choices bust. Conor Gillaspie, e.g., was a first round draft choice, but the team that drafted him has won 3 WS since. I read that Tampa hasn't had a player drafted in rounds 1-10 succeed in the majors since the 2007 draft.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 08:20 PM)
The draft is like hitting a baseball. You will get a lot more outs than hits, but if you are skilled and have a good approach, you will be successful.

A lot of high draft choices bust. Conor Gillaspie, e.g., was a first round draft choice, but the team that drafted him has won 3 WS since. I read that Tampa hasn't had a player drafted in rounds 1-10 succeed in the majors since the 2007 draft.

oh, i am going to try to say this nicely b/c i do not want to offend anyone.

but look at the sox and who they have drafted in the first round. some of still developing and some didn't make it. the judging of skills in baseball, of me, is one of the biggest hit or miss of any sports.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 01:33 PM)

This is also why you can never point to a specific pick as evidence that a team can or cannot draft.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 05:59 AM)
This is also why you can never point to a specific pick as evidence that a team can or cannot draft.

except for the whole time the sox tried not to draft a specific agent clients in the top 1-4 rounds. also the sox appears not to draft players who didn't want to receive lower than expected salary.

the draft today, does help in the parity of the slotted money bonuses.