Awesome site I found

aboz56

We had 4 tests, which half were based on a text book and info that we talked about in class and the other half was a listening portion where you had to identify the song title, album it was on and who sang the lead of the song.

who was Dear Prudence written for?

Julia?

Which Beatle did the first solo album (and I still have it)?

Who introduced them to marijuana?

Without thinking, who was Stu Sutcliff?

What was them original name of the haircut?

And the immortal line "how can you sleep" was written by whom for whom because of what, and what was the musical response?

In the middle of the night I.... what?

Let's see how well they taught you!

:lol: :headbang :headbang :headbang

1) first solo album was done by Ringo, i believe.

2) Prudence I don't exactly remember, Julia was for John's mom.

3) Dylan introduced them to marijuana.

4) Stu was the original drummer of the band.

5) mop-top i believe

6) got me on that one, didn't cover that.

and now, a few for you, relatively easy.

1) Who is the song Sexy Sadie directed at?

2) Martha my dear was written for whom?

3) Who appeared on keyboard on Let It Be?

4) Who played lead guitar on While my guitar gently weeps?

5) and finally, what's the B-side to the paperback writer single?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul did the first solo album, Ram.

how can you sleep was a bitter, bitter song by John to Paul, after the break up.

The haircut was the mop top, I think

everyone things Ram was the first, but they are wrong.

and for what was John bitter in that song - it was very specific -

in the original interview at the airport, the Beatles gave the hair cut a name: they were asked, what do you call it and George replied with a male name.

1) Who is the song Sexy Sadie directed at? the Mararishi

2) Martha my dear was written for whom? that one I don't know, damn it!

3) Who appeared on keyboard on Let It Be? and damn I know that but need a second to think, I am old, being an original Beatles

4) Who played lead guitar on While my guitar gently weeps? E. Clapton

5) and finally, what's the B-side to the paperback writer single? Damn I know that - give me a sec to think, i will not cheat - Nowhere man is in my head but not sure that is right

1) Who is the song Sexy Sadie directed at?  the Mararishi

3) Who appeared on keyboard on Let It Be? and damn I know that but need a second to think, I am old, being an original Beatles

4) Who played lead guitar on While my guitar gently weeps?  E. Clapton

5) and finally, what's the B-side to the paperback writer single? Damn I know that - give me a sec to think, i will not cheat - Nowhere man is in my head but not sure that is right

When you want the answers, lemme know.

CW or Aboz, you guys have a personal top 10 for the Beatles?  I am going to post the one my friend and I did when I get home tonight.

2k, i'll come up with my top 10 and post it, but it's gonna be a tough call on this.

i'll do my best

The awesome talent and variety is what I love. If I had written down my top 10 favorite Beatle tunes of all time every year for the past 30 years I bet every song would have appeared at least once. ANd no two lists would have been the same. Songs I thought were just album fillers become sentimental favorites at different times in my life.

I gave up my radio show in college which was talk/student activities to do a Top 40 which no one wanted. I "re-defined" what I considered Top 40 and instead of Me and You and a Dog Named Boo, I rocked with the Beatles, and other "pop" hits.

:headbang

1) first solo album was done by Ringo, i believe. Wrong. It was Wonderwall by George, sitar music. The group Osis ripped off the album title for their drippy song of the same name. never sit near me when that Oasis dreck comes on the radio.

2) Prudence I don't exactly remember, Julia was for John's mom. Mia Farrow's sister.

3) Dylan introduced them to marijuana. Either he or George's dentist, both are credited from different sourcees.

4) Stu was the original drummer of the band. Stu was not the drummer, that was Pete Best. Stu was an art student, close friend of John's, and they gave him usually a bass to stand around with. he couldn't play nor sing but was such a close friend and artistic inspiration - when the 3 (J, P and G) had to make a decision about Stu, keep him or dump him, Stu died unexpectedly. Some of the p[oety and some of the early darkness in the Beatles music is the reaction to Stu's death.

5) mop-top i believe - see my comments about - when asked, George named it "Arthur."

6) got me on that one, didn't cover that. "In the middle of the night..." John did many things but sometimes, "... I call you name, O Yoko, o Yoko, I'd love to turn you on."

No,No, No!!! I am teh biggest Beatles fan in South Carolina...have benn for quite some time. I'd have to say that either the first disc of the White Album, or Revolver is my favorite Beatles album. If ya'll are gonna do a Top 10 list, that'd be nice...I can do that I think.

I'm an idiot, I knew Stu, can't believe I got them confused, we talked about him a ton in class.

Stu's girlfriend was named Astrid and cannot recall her last name but she took some early photos of the Beatles and helped them get their look together before they hit it big. Those photos by her are famous amongst the old times, about as important for the early iconic look as the Avedon photos, the photographer on the Meet the Beatles cover.

Wasn't it Billy Preston on the keyboards?

Here are my top 10 beatles songs:

10) You Never Give Me Your Money

9) Happy Just To Dance With You

8) In My Life

7) Rain

6) While My Guitar Gently Weeps

5) Across The Universe

4) Nowhere Man

3) Strawberry Fields Forever

2) And Your Bird Can Sing

1) Here, there and everywhere

This was a hard list to do, especially because there's not a beatles song that I don't like. However, I tried to avoid the singles, which I feel are the typical favorites of most.

Wasn't it Billy Preston on the keyboards?

Yes, it was.

Martha My Dear was for Paul's dog.

B-side to Paperback Writer was Rain.

Stu's girlfriend was named Astrid and cannot recall her last name but she took some early photos of the Beatles and helped them get their look together before they hit it big.  Those photos by her are famous amongst the old times, about as important for the early iconic look as the Avedon photos, the photographer on the Meet the Beatles cover.

Kirchherr was her last name, I believe.

Top Ten (Not in Order)

Yesterday

Long and Winding Road

Norwegan Wood

We can Work it OUt

Nowhere Man

Ticket to Ride

Lady Madonna

Let it Be

While my Guitar Gently Weeps

Lucy in the Sky

Come Together

I'll Follow the Sun

Hey, it's close to 10!

:snr

We're missing a guitar player

More trivia:

1. what did Paul consider an intentional act of sabatoge?

2. the original White albums were not entirely white covers - what was on the cover that wasn't white, only on the originals?

3. What was on the album Best of the Beatles?

4. original Ed Sullivan appearance, Beatles sang a song from a broadway show and it was...?

5. Who announced John's murder to the world, in terms of being first on the air, and on what tv show?

6. According to right wing religious idiots, what was the real meaning of the phrase "Norwegian wood"? They were wrong of course but it was a part of their attempt to say the Beatles were an evil influence.

7. Easy: who originally came up with the phrase Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds?

8. What is the musical secret of Do You want to Know a Secret? It was written to have what, and why?

Edit to add two tough ones:

9. What is Paul's real first name, and besides John's song asking the question, how did Paul sleep according to the early fan magazines?

10. The first Beatle to visit the United States was _____ and he visited _______ because ______.

Hmmm, Top 10 Beatles songs...thats is indeed a tough thing to do...I'll try to get it to 14, thats the best I can do.

14. Old Brown Shoe

13. I'm Only Sleeping.

12. The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill

11. I Want You (She's So Heavy)

10. You Never Give Me your Money

9. I'm Looking Through You

8. Helter Skelter

7. Dear Prudence

6. Glass Onion

5. A Day In the Life

4. Don't Let Me Down

3. Happiness is a Warm Gun

2. Rocky Raccoon

1. In My Life

That is not easy to do.

More trivia:

1. what did Paul consider an intentional act of sabatoge?

2. the original White albums were not entirely white covers - what was on the cover that wasn't white, only on the originals?

3. What was on the album Best of the Beatles?

4. original Ed Sullivan appearance, Beatles sang a song from a broadway show and it was...?

5. Who announced John's murder to the world, in terms of being first on the air, and on what tv show?

6. According to right wing religious idiots, what was the real meaning of the phrase "Norwegian wood"?  They were wrong of course but it was a part of their attempt to say the Beatles were an evil influence.

7.  Easy: who originally came up with the phrase Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds?

8. What is the musical secret of Do You want to Know a Secret?  It was written to have what, and why?

Edit to add two tough ones:

9. What is Paul's real first name, and besides John's song asking the question, how did Paul sleep according to the early fan magazines?

10.  The first Beatle to visit the United States was _____ and he visited _______ because ______.

5. Wasnt it Howard Cosell on Monday Night Football? I'm pretty sure it was on MNF, but not sure who it was.

The Weird Al Wanna-Be's Beatles top 10. (it was the name of our radio show in college)

10. I Wanna Hold Your Hand

9. Here, There, and Everywhere

8. Strawberry Fields Forever

7. Hard Days Night

6. Yellow Submarine

5. Let it Be

4. Hey Jude

3. A Day in the Life

2. In My Life

1. Yesterday

We actually did the top 64, if anyone wants to see they can PM me, or I can always post it if there is enough interest.

6. According to right wing religious idiots, what was the real meaning of the phrase "Norwegian wood"? They were wrong of course but it was a part of their attempt to say the Beatles were an evil influence.

I know that the song was a coded story about an affair that John had, but I have no idea what they interpreted it as, and I am really curious.

5. Wasnt it Howard Cosell on Monday Night Football? I'm pretty sure it was on MNF, but not sure who it was.

Right.

Dolphins were playing, I think at Jets, anyways it was a Dolphins game and Howard Cosell suddenly stopped for a second in an exciting 4th quarter close game and then said something like, "here is news that makes all of this meaningless" and then announced about John's death.

I know that the song was a coded story about an affair that John had, but I have no idea what they interpreted it as, and I am really curious.

The so-called immorality of the song was to be found in Norwegian Wood not being a statement about interior decorating but meaning "knowing we would." John always denied that in every interview I read.

That was in the days when people were burning Beatles albums because they were so immoral.