Chicago Hispanics upset by doll

NUKE_CLEVELAND

This woman hit it on the head. White Corporate American Dollmakers Inc. missed the boat on this one.

Alejandra L. Ibanez, executive director of the community group Pilsen Alliance, said American Girl missed an opportunity.

"I wish that they would not have had Marisol leave her community so that little girls like Marisol living in the inner city can be proud of their neighborhood and not have the perception that they must leave the neighborhood so that they can do better for themselves," Ibanez said.

The way American Girl is going with this they are obviously not marketing to inner city Mexican girls who I assume are underrepresented in the doll world (but damn those American Girl dolls are friggin' $$$). Seems more like they are marketing to the Mexican girls from urban flight families or to Suburban white girls who want a pet Mexican doll to give the playroom some color.

QUOTE(winodj @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 11:29 AM)
I wanna make some joke involving the town of Munster, Indiana at this point and tie it into this thread.

I'm just too slow to make it.

A little help?

A little slow AND a little late, Pally. There already are Munster dolls out there...

themunsters.jpg

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 10:04 AM)
This woman hit it on the head.  White Corporate American Dollmakers Inc. missed the boat on this one.

The way American Girl is going with this they are obviously not marketing to inner city Mexican girls who I assume are underrepresented in the doll world (but damn those American Girl dolls are friggin' $$$).  Seems more like they are marketing to the Mexican girls from urban flight families or to Suburban white girls who want a pet Mexican doll to give the playroom some color.

Exactly. The fact is inner city girls can't afford those dolls. I know my girlfriends younger sister collects them. I looked at the catalog one time and it just freaked me out. Expensive. Of course they are marketing it to the middle class. No snooty people want their daughter to play with a doll from the ghetto. :headshake

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 12:33 PM)
Exactly. The fact is inner city girls can't afford those dolls. I know my girlfriends younger sister collects them. I looked at the catalog one time and it just freaked me out. Expensive. Of course they are marketing it to the middle class. No snooty people want their daughter to play with a doll from the ghetto. :headshake

crack.png

I resent your implications about the ghetto, Joe Rog-- er, Jeckle.