Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Chisoxfn

Admin
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Chisoxfn

  1. QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 10:57 AM) "I looked at the tape of the game, and I was pleased with the effort that the players gave. It doesnt mean it was enough to win the game, because it certainly wasnt, but the effort was there" -Mark Trestman Is that serious?
  2. QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 08:29 AM) I think Gruden could do okay with Cutler. He's similar to Dalton, and Dalton was pretty good under him. I think he's better than Dalton but we could argue that different ways. He certainly can make more throws than Andy but both have their flaws as well. If I were a team that has invested in the draft at QB and continually failed, I might just prefer getting someone like Jay who is at least average (and obviously has the tools that will at least tantalize you to say there might be some upside).
  3. QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 07:57 AM) I think any draft that includes Mack will be considered a success In other news, Matt Spiegel just said that Andy Pollin(ESPN 980 Washington DC) is reporting that Dan Snyder is interested in Cutler and would consider swapping firsts and Kirk Cousins. Pleaseohpleaseohplease Dan Snyder be Dan Snyder-y That would be amazing. Literally amazing.
  4. QUOTE (ventura_abreu @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 05:17 PM) Doesn't the original baseball stats guru, Nate Silver, now advocate using Bayesian statistical methods rather than the regression methods used by places such as Fan Graph? Fan Graph's methods are really backward looking whereas Bayesian methods are both forward and backward looking. Interestingly enough, the more subjective and backward and forward looking Bayesian methods are more likely to yield the kind of conclusions that a traditional analysis might yield. Also, I loved the test Nate did that pitted his advanced stat metrics against Baseball America's more old fashion methods to see who more accurately predicted which minor league prospects actually turned out to be good. Baseball America did slightly better in the test, and Nate actually expected that to happen. Of course, that did not surprise Nate because the purpose of the Billy Beane or Scott Hahn use of advanced stats is not to replace traditional analyses but to complement it, and the Baseball America predictions in effect tacitly combined traditional and (to some extent) advanced statistical analysis. In a sense, the main role for advanced stats is to serve as a sort of tie breaker after traditional analysis is first done. It also can be used to try to optimize how to allocate ones budget. There is a subtle difference between doing that and how some try to give a generic interpretation to things such as using WAR metrics to determine who is a better player or team. In short, for those who like a more traditional analysis, take heart that the most path breaking statistical analyses may come to some of the similar conclusions that your old fashioned perspectives tend to yield. In any case, that is my 2 cents on part of this issue. Good points and interesting insight and completely agree with the point regarding the use of stats to compliment traditional analysis (not to replace it). You should post more!!!
  5. QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 03:14 PM) Pretty sure the Raiders, Bears and Dolphins are going to find out. Jets too.
  6. QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 02:16 PM) A marginal improvement by the defense with last year's offense and they had a chance. Instead they have scored 30+ points exactly zero times And zero points at the half 4 different times. Pathetic doesn't begin to describe the season.
  7. Now to see if, amid these reports, the Bears just come out and fire Trestman or if they issue a statement or just ignore the whole thing. My bet is they ignore the whole thing or basically say we will evaluate everything at the end of the season (basically same thing as saying...Trest...He Gawn!)
  8. Chisoxfn replied to Kyyle23's topic in SLaM
    QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 03:49 AM) It's good to hear Homeland is good again but I just can't bring myself to go back to it. You are literally doing yourself as disservice. This season has been fantastic.
  9. QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 01:48 PM) I'm not gonna lie. I was feeling pretty good about the Bears when they beat San Fran. I don't think any of us realized just how bad of a head coach Trestman was. I literally think he'll go down in league history as one of the worst head coaches on the planet. He's about as big of a disaster as I've ever seen (especially for someone with his record). I realize Marinelli had his 0-16 year with garbage talent but when you look at the whole story, wow is all I can say about the Trestman era in Chicago.
  10. QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 01:44 PM) If I told you back in August that the Bears would win 3 of their first 4 road games, including @ San Francisco and @ Atlanta, would you think there is any chance Trestman would get fired in December? Not a chance.
  11. QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 01:11 PM) Emery almost has to pick a overly safe person. My list...which I think we all know starts with Harbaugh, goes onto expand to Cowher / Dungy / Gruden. There is absolutely no way I don't back channel and throw the keys to the kingdom to them. Outside of Harbaugh, I don't think the others would be interested, but what we need (especially because I do think we have more talent than our record) is a change of culture and any of these 4 guys would bring with them a total culture shock.
  12. QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 01:06 PM) Trade for Harbaugh Heck yeah, get er done. Best news I heard was someone on ESPN radio this morning talking about harbaugh saying he isn't interested in GM'ing or any of that crap. He wants to implement his system in a place where he has a GM who supports him and works well with him but he has zero interest in handling all of the personnel moves and wants to focus on coaching. You also have to figure, if Emery is somehow saved, he'll do everything he can to make a big time splash as that is his best shot at staying around long term (especially after he went out on a limb with this last hire).
  13. QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 12:55 PM) ‏@dan_bernstein Source: #Bears ownership met last night. Trestman likely fired at season's end, Emery's fate still undecided. Please be true...please be true...please be true.
  14. http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/12/16/gab...g-hasnt-worked/ Fantastic article, must read article, with a lot of insight he has collected from his contacts in the organization. I highlighted a couple key quotes below but this really is a must read and Gabriel hits everything right on the head. I keep saying, a lot of stories are going to come out when the Trestman era ends and they aren't going to be flattering.
  15. QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 12:33 PM) Best Sox suggestions for AJP in a looong time. I think Hawk and him would even work well in a transitional role and I think AJP would be great in that role. I just don't know if AJP would want to take on that sort of commitment. Now a days, if you made it like AJP did, that is a lot of travel and time to go around and call baseball games vs. an analyst gig which requires far less travel. He's made enough in his career that this would be something fun for him to do in retirement more than I need this.
  16. QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 11:41 AM) I watched the pregame, caught the first few possessions where the Bears and Saints turned over the ball and literally fell asleep until there was about a minute left in the game, true story. I saw the ESPN guys rip into Jay so I knew he stunk up the joint and I was the least bit surprised. Jay isn't this bad, he's checked out mentally from this club, a change would be best for the Bears and also for him at this point, too. The ESPN guys ripped into Jay for the first 80% but than at the back end they did compliment his work ethic and the amount of time he has started putting into this thing and how significantly his attitude has changed over the past couple years vs. the player he was early in his career. They than went back to, Mon-Sat you can do the right thing but it doesn't necessarily translate to Sunday. Dilfer even said he had that problem for a significant portion of his career. I think whomever talked about trust hit it on the head. A QB needs to trust his play caller and situations and given how Jay is naturally untrusting and the experiences had during his career, he's even less willing to trust, which means he's never going to be entirely bought in at this point. Right now I don't think he trust much anyone inside the org and he certainly isn't comfortable so while he's putting in all the effort, etc, there is still that block in his head that he can't get past (and to be frank...with this coaching staff, I don't blame anyone for not trusting them cause they are a joke). Change of scenery would be beneficial but even than, I think he is what he is and what we have seen over the larger window. Had he went someplace else after Denver or had the Bears ran things different early in his Chicago career (and gave him support than), maybe things turn out different but at this point, you are what you are. Kind of like David Carr...had he gone other places, he may very well have succeeded. Outside of those rare generational talents, I think the reality is the success of QB's is often heavily influenced by the people they work with and the front office and what they have done. Certain organizations, whether luck or not, seem to do a much better job at it.
  17. QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 07:34 AM) Just let Flowers do his thing. Brantly will be a serviceable backup. I mean, I'd take a flyer on Castro if it didn't cost much, but that is unlikely. AJP though? C'mon now. I think he will join the broadcast booth or at least local tv and than move onto bigger and better things.
  18. QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 12:22 PM) No I think that's the base salary with another 4M in incentives . That is absurd. Wow. Crazy Dodgers...crazy.
  19. QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 11:17 AM) I, Brian Anderson have been just waiting my time to get back in the game. No but seriously, Anderson was trying for an invite last year - didn't get one. He done. I am excited for the day BA returns to our organization. If his bat could play a bit, he would fill a major defensive need for us.
  20. QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 11:29 AM) Go back and look at some those Polian draft classes of his later years. Yuck. His kid is a dips*** too and he would want him to come along. I am referring to hiring them as consultants to come in and help with the process, not bringing them in full time. Really I want Harbaugh and someone who can draft / make front office decisions and work well with Jim.
  21. QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 11:20 AM) There were some great stats about the Bears versus playoff or potential playoff opponents this year on 670 a little bit ago. That list would be Green Bay (x2), New Orleans, New England, Dallas, Detroit. ** They are 0-6 being outscored by an average margin of 22.5 points.. ** The Bears scored 114 points in those 6 games. Their opponents scored 122 points in JUST THE 2ND QUARTER of those games. **The closest game was the 41-28 loss to the Cowboys; a game the Cowboys started the fourth quarter leading by 28. **The fewest points allowed were the 31 scored by the Saints last night **The average score after 3 quarters was 35-10 **The Bears were within 24 points to start the 4th in only 2 of those 6 games. And within 2 touchdowns entering the 4th just once (down 7 to Detroit on Thanksgiving) **The opposing QB has 23 TD and 0 INT and averages 323 yards passing (Romo was only one not to exceed 300 yds) **Jay Cutler had 12 TD and 11 INT in those games **Drew Brees' passer rating of 137.8 was the 2nd WORST in the 6 games (others: Rodgers 151.2 and 145.8, Brady 148.4, Romo 138.0 and Stafford a measly 116.0) Buffalo should be on that list. They are potential playoff team. Do Niners still have a chance? Either way, no shocker at how dismal we are.
  22. QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 11:09 AM) He based in on winning percentage. I think currently, Rex Grossman has a better career winning percentage, and a Super Bowl appearance. He must be HOF material. You are right, they have to clean house. If it takes 2 more weeks of being totally embarrassed, fine. It needs to be done. Move Phillips to the business side, hire a Polian or someone of his ilk, and let him start off clean with Emery and the coaches, every one of them taking a walk. If Polian says no, throw a bunch of money at Ron Wolf and let him help make the decisions to get the right people in. They really need to change everything and what will really seal the deal is if we lose these next two. I do want our young players to play well and show improvement though.
  23. QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 10:51 AM) He went all in when he shoved Arians out of the picture, too late to distance himself now. He goes down with that ship. The s***show that is that coaching staff was all Emery. The Bears look like a badly coached college team right now. Actually there are high school teams are more properly run. I don't disagree but if you recall, it was Emery who actually stepped in and disciplined Bennett (probably going come on Trestman...geeze) in training camp and it certainly seemed like he wanted to get rid of Kromer. I think Emery made a joke of a hire and deserves his share of the blame and they should all be gone, but I also really don't care what happens if we can find a way to get Harbaugh. If Emery can convince him ownership and Harbaugh to come here, that works for me. More importantly I just want a GM who will work with Jim (who supposedly doesn't want total control which is good).
  24. QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 10:47 AM) He is paid to carry the team. Surround anyone with good team and they will do good. I don't think that is even close to true. Romo is very good and this is the 2nd time in a long career that he'll be playing in the playoffs.
  25. By the way, notice how Emery has started to distance himself from Trestman & Company?

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.