Everything posted by Balta1701
-
DEM Primaries/Candidates thread
Teamsters reportedly to endorse Obama today. That would leave Hillary with only 1 of the 4 biggest unions in the country behind her.
-
White Sox about to sign Bartolo Colon?
Yay. Some good news. I really don't want this to happen.
-
For Dems only.
The fun of statistics...if you hang out at 25% approval for long enough, eventually there's going to be a poll that puts you in the teens. 19%.
-
For Dems only.
Sweet, a lynching party. We haven't had one of those in forever! (You can probably guess who said that).
-
DEM Primaries/Candidates thread
QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 10:26 AM) But I'm sure McCain supported it even though in his victory speech last night he is still blasting the notion that Obama would want to do something like this. And Obama never said he would bomb Pakistan. If someone can find me a quote where he said that I'll paypal you $100. You're going to weasel out of it because he said the word "Act" instead of the word "Bomb" aren't you?
-
DEM Primaries/Candidates thread
FWIW, Obama currently has about a 9000 vote lead in Washington.
-
White Sox about to sign Bartolo Colon?
QUOTE(Vance Law @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 08:25 PM) Nothing is a minor risk. Everything is the end of the world. Everything is, "when this thing that is a rumor happens happened, I'm never watching another Sox game again." That last part is only if we signed Bonds. Or Clemens now. You can hate a move and still be a fan, I hope.
-
DEM Primaries/Candidates thread
QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 08:22 PM) No clue whatsoever why there is a primary there tonight. I asked this a few weeks ago in this thread. I thought cnn.com had a typo. Here's the NYT with the answer.
-
DEM Primaries/Candidates thread
Obama and McCain now both are showing 17 point leads.
-
DEM Primaries/Candidates thread
QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 07:34 PM) I loved how the networks pulled away from Clinton's speech to cover Obama. There is a subtle hint... That's what they usually do when the winner of a night's contests comes on at the same time as one of the people who lost. I find it more interesting that the Obama camp actually had the balls to have him come out while she was still on and going after him.
-
White Sox about to sign Bartolo Colon?
QUOTE(JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 07:45 PM) Could Colon just be an emergency option for Contreras? Maybe since they both have AARP cards, they will switch off starts? I dont see that as a wise financial decision, but maybe Kenny is not worried about the money (see Uribe, Linebrink). Considering we already have a 12 man bullpen set up, trying something like that would wind up leaving the Sox with a 3 man bench. 2 after Toby Hall.
-
White Sox about to sign Bartolo Colon?
QUOTE(daa84 @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 07:38 PM) how can anyone say this is a terrible deal having not seen the terms of the agreement? lets say this is incentive laden 2 mil guaranteed 1 year deal, than i think this is a smart deal to provide some insurance in our shaky back end of the rotation....at least we have options should someone get injured.... I'd much rather use Broadway, Egbert, or Sisco as backups for the back end of the rotation. We don't have anyone in the minors who seems like an immediate, Verlander type star, but we have several guys there who have some talent and who might well be able to be solid pitchers for us. I wouldn't want this team picking up Colon if he were free. I would rather us go with the young guys and try to develop them. If key parts of our rotation falter, then we'll be looking towards the future anyway, and those guys are much better "Future" candidates than Colon.
-
White Sox about to sign Bartolo Colon?
QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 07:29 PM) Here's hoping that Floyd looks good in ST then. No one's trading for Floyd in ST. He's the White Sox's guy right now until he's either DFA'd or earns that rotation spot. One more thing...if the White Sox were to sign Colon, and then try to move Floyd in response...that pretty much destroys any trade value that those couple good starts last year or a good ST might build. Because why would another team want him if the White Sox think a guy who's arm is about to fall off is a better pitcher?
-
White Sox about to sign Bartolo Colon?
QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 07:24 PM) I'd sooner deal Floyd than Danks if we're going for Roberts. And very few teams would be willing to give up anything of significant value for Floyd, because he's too much of a wild card. Even we don't know what we have in him. It's entirely possible that 2 months down the road, Floyd could be one of the most valuable guys in baseball as a dominating young pitcher, or he could be DFA'd. So it makes almost no sense to deal Floyd, especially right now.
-
White Sox about to sign Bartolo Colon?
QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 07:18 PM) So if this did indeed happen, would this make either Danks or Floyd expendable in a Brian Roberts deal (with Danny Richar being included also). Something like I dunno, Danks + Richar + Uribe for Roberts (maybe with us adding in something else). My God, this works better than ipecac.
-
White Sox about to sign Bartolo Colon?
QUOTE(chwhtsox @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 07:14 PM) Why hate this deal? This is what they should be doing, spending the money (that I help contribute) to fill holes and get depth. I would understand hating this deal if we sent out some young talent (or any talent for that matter), but it's hard to hate it without knowing how much they even offered. This isn't to say that I'm a fan of Bartolo Colon, but I'm not a believer in Floyd or Danks so the more pitchers to compete the better. Because any signing of Colon unless it's to a minor league deal guarantees that Danks is going to be sent down, because Floyd is not going to be simply released by the team. And I really don't want to see Danks in the minor leagues. Signing Colon would leave me rooting for Jose to wind up on the DL in ST so that we could actually have the 2 guys we need to get time in the major league starting rotation actually in to that rotation. And Hell...if I'm looking towards the future at all, I'd rather give Egbert and Broadway and Haeger and Sisco the chance to fill in if anyone does get hurt than Colon. If We're signing him, I want him in AAA as like a 5rd backup option. And I don't think that's going to happen.
-
White Sox about to sign Bartolo Colon?
If it does wind up being true, I'd just like to say that I hate this deal.
-
GOP Primaries/Candidates thread
In his speech tonight, John McCain referenced an "eloquent but empty call for change" several times. Get used to that slogan folks. We've got almost 9 months of it.
-
DEM Primaries/Candidates thread
CNN has their exit polling data up. Quite similar to the stuff I had earlier. Shows hillary eeking out a margin of error win amongst women, but Obama with a 2-1 advantage among men. Obama winning every age group except 65 and older. Texas and Ohio were already showing some movement before today. It's possible this could be big enough to be a big driver. The exit polls average out to roughly 56-43.
-
DEM Primaries/Candidates thread
MSNBC does the aforementionned call of Wisconsin based solely on exit polls. CNN hasn't pulled the trigger yet.
-
DEM Primaries/Candidates thread
QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 05:20 PM) It would seem that Obama is bringing in voters from outside the party regulars, who probably would stay home in the fall general if their guy isn't the nominee. I can't believe they would suddenly jump to JMc You can count me amongst the group you're noting there. I really don't want to vote for Hillary, but there's not a chance in Hell I'm voting for "Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran" when I'm still draft age.
-
Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread
Unnamed source says IU is most likely to suspend Sampson now with the expectation that he'll be terminated in the near future after a more detailed investigation is completed.
-
DEM Primaries/Candidates thread
QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 04:50 PM) Wouldn't it be fair to say that Fox polling has favored Obama thus far? Are you referring to the Fox News polling or the exit polling data? Because they're 2 totally different things. Not even done by the same people, I think. If you want to know how accurate those exit polls are, watch right around 8:00 CT. Because if Obama actually scored a win among women, they may well call this thing as soon as the polls close.
-
GOP Primaries/Candidates thread
Yeah, these folks are still voting too. Time.com exit poll details.
-
DEM Primaries/Candidates thread
Time.com with some demographic exit polls. If Obama actually won amongst women...this one likely won't even be close.