Evolution of "high leverage" relievers....

caulfield12

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1803278...as-game-changer

Skip halfway through the article, past where the Cubs have changed the face of the world itself...

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1803278...as-game-changer

Clubs not seeking longer relief in 2017 (but they're definitely thinking about it)

This would be an area the White Sox are going to have a lot of freedom to experiment with in 2017, particularly if they hold onto Robertson until at least July.

Can Nate Jones go multiple innings, in terms of his health? This would seem to be, at best, questionable.

Burdi? He's still being looked at some as a starter, so why not let him be the long man and eventually go into that Joel Zumaya/Miller "high leverage from 5th-8th inning guy" who goes multiple innings? See how his stamina and repertoire of pitches hold up.

Petricka's coming off an injury as well, so you can probably cross him off the list. In terms of the minor leagues, a couple of guys who might thrive in that role would be Jordan Stephens and Spencer Adams. Hansen's another name to watch, as well.

Then there's Carson Fulmer.

So if we're rebuilding, we might as well try to build up our own cache of "high value" relievers, right?

Obviously, you would RATHER have them make it as starters, but this seems like the best alternative. Bullpen depth/quality after the top 3-4 guys last year was one of the biggest issues for the White Sox (and your 3/4/5 guys going down to injury/ineffectiveness/overuse). In theory, instead of pitching your 12th/13th guys 50 innings or so, you can spread the load amongst 2-3 "high leverage" guys like Burdi, Fulmer, Stephens, Adams or Hansen.

That would improve the overall bullpen results by, let's say, 10-15%, conservatively.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 12:38 AM)
I'd rather Shields be that guy. Fulmer should be starting if he's good enough to hang at the major league level.

Possible, but VERY long odds.

Worth a shot if he continues to struggle in the rotation so we can salvage some type of return or lessen money going the other direction by 25%.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 22, 2016 -> 11:33 PM)
Petricka's coming off an injury as well, so you can probably cross him off the list. In terms of the minor leagues, a couple of guys who might thrive in that role would be Jordan Stephens and Spencer Adams. Hansen's another name to watch, as well.

Petricka should be able to throw multiple innings (based on performance before surgery). Trouble is that he's a last man in the bullpen quality pitcher, so it doesn't help.

And really, regular multiple inning outings doesn't make a lot of sense in the regular season. It reduces the ability to use them when really needed - high leverage.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 07:50 AM)
I don't think this strategy would work during the regular season compared to the playoffs.

Exactly. The most days you play in a row in the playoffs is 3. You can't use Miller like he was used or he would be done by May. You could modify it a bit. Keith Foulke,before he was the White Sox closer, pitched a lot of innings in middle relief. I think he had over 100 on year, and had more strikeouts than most of the starters. But that was a losing team, which probably kept his appearances down.

Edited by Dick Allen

I hopefully the game transitions more to this. The constant pitching changes for every matchup gets to be a bit much to watch sometimes. That and it's probably just more effective instead of trying to get by by using 3 mediocre guys in the 6th and 7th

Jones at closer and use Burdi and Fulmer in this type of role. Would be able to keep 1 fresh and really shorten the game.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 09:19 AM)
I hopefully the game transitions more to this. The constant pitching changes for every matchup gets to be a bit much to watch sometimes. That and it's probably just more effective instead of trying to get by by using 3 mediocre guys in the 6th and 7th

Jones at closer and use Burdi and Fulmer in this type of role. Would be able to keep 1 fresh and really shorten the game.

It won't, except for the playoffs. Pitchers have to be conditioned for it. And it would have to be league wide with all the player movement. Once they turned it more specialized, they pretty much are stuck with it unless every team is on board with change.

Several years ago the Rangers were going to go with 4 man rotations in their minor leagues. I don't think it lasted very long.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 09:53 AM)
It won't, except for the playoffs. Pitchers have to be conditioned for it. And it would have to be league wide with all the player movement. Once they turned it more specialized, they pretty much are stuck with it unless every team is on board with change.

Several years ago the Rangers were going to go with 4 man rotations in their minor leagues. I don't think it lasted very long.

That was only the Rangers, though. I agree with most of your post. Pitchers not only have to be conditioned to go 2 or 3 innings, they also have to be incentivized and ego-less enough to want to throw outside of their current role. With Cecil's deal, it seems the incentives are starting to catch up a little bit.