What luxury tax? Yankees sign Contreras

Cerbaho-WG

lol, this is sad. Not that they are spending money, but that they gave 15 million a season to two guys who have never played in the majors.

just when you think the Yankees were going to settle down and watch how they spend, they do this.

Originally posted by Molto

wow cubkilla, i didn't see that coming

how does the Yankees spending money foolishly have anything to do with JR?

I never knew baseball was a two team league.

How is spending money to hopefully contend foolish? Would JR be a fool if he dished out $40,000,000 to outbid the Yanks for Contreras' services? Everyone on this board would be thrilled that JR FINALLY spent some money..... hosts of others would post BS about how JR has finally committed himself to winning. And what if Contreras lives up to the hype? What if he is the second-coming of Pedro? Is Steinbrenner still the fool? Was signing him to that contract foolish then? Everyone on this board loves to trash the Yankees but not one, NOT ONE, wouldn't want Steinbrenner to own the White Sox. Did you see that coming?

you don't like to read posts do you?

first off, you are comparing JR to Steinbrenner, not 29 owners to Steinbrenner.

second, paying a pitcher who is 31 (MAYBE) $8 mil a year for 4 years is stupid. just because the yankees win, doesn't mean all their moves are great. they win because they spend so much damn money that they are going to great players along the way. they've overpaid a lot of ballplayers.

THIRD, JR has spent money. he spent money on Belle, spent money on Wells, traded for Ritchie which added salary. signed Konerko, signed Ordonez, signed Thomas.

he's spent money. but of course, now you will say that when JR has spent money, he spent it in teh wrong places, you mean just like Steinbrenner did, right?

personally, and I really don't care if you believe me or not, I wouldn't want an owner like Steinbrenner. (yeah, I know, you think I'm full of s***). I like baseball and respect baseball as a game. although I love the Sox and will always like them, I want the game to remain fair and on equal grounds.

and isn't that I think Steinbrenner is wrong in spending money that MANY other owners have, but that he overpays guys by $2-3 million, thus raising the demands of players, which in turns hurts some teams in the league.

I love the Sox, but I want the MLB to become competitive again and salaries to stay within reason.

Originally posted by CubKilla
Originally posted by Cerbaho-WG

First of all, spending 40 million on Contreras is a joke.

Just used 40 million as an example Cerb.

I know, but 32 million is a joke as well.

Here's to hoping Contreras is another Yoshii. :metal

second, paying a pitcher who is 31 (MAYBE) $8 mil a year for 4 years is stupid.  just because the yankees win, doesn't mean all their moves are great.  they win because they spend so much damn money that they are going to great players along the way.  they've overpaid a lot of ballplayers.

THIRD, JR has spent money.  he spent money on Belle, spent money on Wells, traded for Ritchie which added salary.  signed Konerko, signed Ordonez, signed Thomas.

he's spent money.  but of course, now you will say that when JR has spent money, he spent it in teh wrong places, you mean just like Steinbrenner did, right? 

personally, and I really don't care if you believe me or not, I wouldn't want an owner like Steinbrenner.  (yeah, I know, you think I'm full of s***).  I like baseball and respect baseball as a game.  although I love the Sox and will always like them, I want the game to remain fair and on equal grounds.

and isn't that I think Steinbrenner is wrong in spending money that MANY other owners have, but that he overpays guys by $2-3 million, thus raising the demands of players, which in turns hurts some teams in the league.

I love the Sox, but I want the MLB to become competitive again and salaries to stay within reason.

First off, I read most of the posts :D

Second, I am comparing JR to Steinbrenner because the White Sox are the team I cheer for. I can care less about the Tribune Co or Jerry Coangelo because they don't own the White Sox..... and you can bet that if the Trib or Coangelo outbid JR for a player we were after I'd be comparing JR to them.

Yes, paying a pitcher $8,000,000 a year for 4 seasons before he has even thrown one pitch in the ML's is stupid. Agreed. But, and the 2000 White Sox proved this, to be competitive in the offseason you have to be willing to spend some money...... whether wisely or, in this case, foolishly. Luck will only get you so far. Ownership and GM's separate the real contenders from the fakers.

Yes..... from decade to decade, JR has occasionally spent some money. Belle was signed, IMHO, not because JR wanted to compete. Competing was secondary. JR really wanted to shove it up the ass of MLB owners for ending the '94 strike. He spent money on Wells..... can't disagree with you there. Trading for Ritchie did add salary but not the type of salary that a game-making pitcher would demand. JR and KW sold Ritchie as something, at least for the first half of 2001 and most of 2002, he was not. JR added a few million in salary instead of 6 or 7 million. Once again, the lesser of two evils. JR signed Konerko, Ordonez, and Thomas because he had to..... not doing so would have been Organizational suicide. JR knew this. This team averages probably around 12-15,000 a game on the weekdays. Cut that in half if JR lets all 3 of those guys go.

Yeah..... both JR and Steinbrenner have spent money. But Steinbrenner has numerous WS Titles to go along with his sometimes foolish spending. JR and his thriftiness..... ZERO!

IMHO, expansion has done more to hurt baseball and create parity in the league much more so than Steinbrenner has..... just an opinion though.

To get the players you want, you have to outbid the other teams..... it's as simple as that. Yes, there are some classy players that take a cut in pay because of loyalty to the fans or the team when they could have gotten more to play elsewhere. But those players are few and far between. Nobody blamed Atlanta when they got Ortiz by, supposedly, outbidding KW and his three prospects deal. But everyone blames Steinbrenner because he's Steinbrenner and paying for players that he wants on his team is what he does. That's hypocritical.

The only way MLB will "become competitive again and (for) salaries to stay within reason" is if you institute a salary cap. Plain and simple.

1 - Yeah..... both JR and Steinbrenner have spent money. But Steinbrenner has numerous WS Titles to go along with his sometimes foolish spending. JR and his thriftiness..... ZERO!

2 - IMHO, expansion has done more to hurt baseball and create parity in the league much more so than Steinbrenner has..... just an opinion though.

3 - The only way MLB will "become competitive again and (for) salaries to stay within reason" is if you institute a salary cap. Plain and simple.

first off i am with all you guys and saying that 8 mil a yr is way too much to spend when he hasn't done anything.

ref 1, i am in agreement in saying that if you spend wisely in players and not being afraid to pull the trigger on trading some prospects. we can put more wins in the column and fans in the seat. the sox wins and i mean win, you will get the fans to come out to the ball park. but jr needs to spend and a gm who knows how to trade without being taken to the bank.

ref 2, expansion might have harm some teams but look at the yank and their spending or oak and their savy trades and good draft selection. you need some talent in the fron office and an owner who will pony up and spend some money on the right fa.

ref 3, i think that is way they have est a luxury tax format. but the yank would rather win a world series ring instead of paying a penalty for going over the salary restriction.

wow cubkilla, i didn't see that coming

how does the Yankees spending money foolishly have anything to do with JR?

I never knew baseball was a two team league.

How is spending money to hopefully contend foolish? Would JR be a fool if he dished out $40,000,000 to outbid the Yanks for Contreras' services? Everyone on this board would be thrilled that JR FINALLY spent some money..... hosts of others would post BS about how JR has finally committed himself to winning. And what if Contreras lives up to the hype? What if he is the second-coming of Pedro? Is Steinbrenner still the fool? Was signing him to that contract foolish then? Everyone on this board loves to trash the Yankees but not one, NOT ONE, wouldn't want Steinbrenner to own the White Sox. Did you see that coming?

It would be foolish because they'd be tying all that money to a guy that hasn't proven a thing. If they were going to spend that time of money they would of been better served getting Millwood.

Just cause you got money don't mean you blow it foolishly. I think that Godzilla signing was good and the Contreras one was good, but they could also blow up. The Yanks are about the only team that can afford a blow up, the Sox can't.

second, paying a pitcher who is 31 (MAYBE) $8 mil a year for 4 years is stupid.  just because the yankees win, doesn't mean all their moves are great.  they win because they spend so much damn money that they are going to great players along the way.  they've overpaid a lot of ballplayers.

THIRD, JR has spent money.  he spent money on Belle, spent money on Wells, traded for Ritchie which added salary.  signed Konerko, signed Ordonez, signed Thomas.

he's spent money.  but of course, now you will say that when JR has spent money, he spent it in teh wrong places, you mean just like Steinbrenner did, right? 

personally, and I really don't care if you believe me or not, I wouldn't want an owner like Steinbrenner.  (yeah, I know, you think I'm full of s***).  I like baseball and respect baseball as a game.  although I love the Sox and will always like them, I want the game to remain fair and on equal grounds.

Chicago fans would hate Steinbrenner. So many people don't realize that the fans in New York city can't watch the Yankees unless they buy a satellite dish. it isn't offered on cable. Ya, don't most fans whine about Mr. Wirtz who does the same thing?

Of course George spends a lot of money. The one thing I do like is he tries to win, he's just an idiot though and makes so many stupid moves, but when you have 150 mill payroll you can afford to make mistakes on about 50% of their signings.

I'd pass on George, I'd want cuban. The guy treats his fans first class, and he treats his players first class.

First of all, spending 40 million on Contreras is a joke.

Just used 40 million as an example Cerb.

I know, but 32 million is a joke as well.

Here's to hoping Contreras is another Yoshii. :metal

Or even better, IRABU :D

Originally posted by Chisoxfn

Chicago fans would hate Steinbrenner.  So many people don't realize that the fans in New York city can't watch the Yankees unless they buy a satellite dish.  it isn't offered on cable.  Ya, don't most fans whine about Mr. Wirtz who does the same thing? 

I'd pass on George, I'd want cuban.  The guy treats his fans first class, and he treats his players first class.

Agreed Chisoxfn..... I wouldn't like to not be able to watch the White Sox on TV. But remember, JR did pull the White Sox off of Channel 44 in the early 80's after he and Einhorn bought the team and, until Channel 32 (I think 32 carried the Sox games before Channel 9) picked up selected games a few years later, the only way to watch the White Sox was by subscribing to the ONTV Cable Company. Sorry to sidetrack there, but I think alot of White Sox fans, like all Hawk fans, would bad-mouth the owner for NOT showing home games on TV. But the difference between GS and "Dollar" Bill is..... you guessed it..... Championships. I know I, as a Sox fan, would forgive some owners bad marketing and fan relation decisions if it, ultimately, resulted in a Championship.

And I never knew that you were on the Mark Cuban bandwagon like me! :D I've been saying to Guido for awhile that what this team and stadium needs is a young, fresh face making the decisions..... and as competitive as Cuban is just sitting watching the Mavericks, you could bet he'd be pursuing a Millwood or a Maddux or a Clemens or a Colon if he thought that person could help the team he owns and cheers for win. JR just sits, blames the fans, and counts his money :mad:

oh i am going to get flame so here it is. :bringit

i think jr is not a bad owner. he may have some misguided loyalities (kw), but i am sure that he will spend the money if he knew that we can win a ring. he was never cheap in that category. the thing is, we need some smart people to run the team and get us there. until then i can see why he won't spend the cash.

Originally posted by LDF

i think jr is not a bad owner. he may have some misguided loyalities (kw), but i am sure that he will spend the money if he knew that we can win a ring. he was never cheap in that category. the thing is, we need some smart people to run the team and get us there. until then i can see why he won't spend the cash.

I would tend to agree with you pre-strike, and during the Albert Belle era. He "seemed" like he was going to live up to the "I'd trade my NBA rings...", but after the strike, he came up with the attendance excuse. Someone kidnap JR, and bring in Mark Cuban. The mere thought of him running onto the field during a brawl would make me go to every home game.

Originally posted by LDF

I would tend to agree with you pre-strike, and during the Albert Belle era. He "seemed" like he was going to live up to the "I'd trade my NBA rings...", but after the strike, he came up with the attendance excuse. Someone kidnap JR, and bring in Mark Cuban. The mere thought of him running onto the field during a brawl would make me go to every home game.

i agree with that..something happened to JR...its like the disdain that has developed between him and the fans is what drives him nowadays..its almost like he wants to punish us for the attendance problems...its time for JR to sell...is mark cuban a baseball fan???