any musicians out there?

sox4lifeinPA

yeah, I have a marshall too. (vs100r) it's good, but I'm looking for great. I'm making money off performances, so I need punch without noise. my marshall gives me too much hum.

what kind of guitar to you have? :snr

ah i got an ibanez grx20, got it used for $110, which isn't bad for starting off.

zah

aren't there two types of fender strat mex? one made in mexico, one made here? or am i thinking of some other guitar?

Yeah the ones made in mexico are less than half the price than the ones made in america. the mexican made ones are considered less quality because the wood and pickups are different. I've played a mexican and an american and they are similar but the american feels alot better.

as for the original question....that amp is ok but it depends on what you need it for. mesa boogies are usually for heavy metal, nu-metal type of LOUD music... :fthecubs

check out www.harmony-central.com for reviews of any gear

My buddy has a Mesa/Boogie for playing mostly clean stuff...not sure what model, but it sounds awesome.

I use a Rickenbacker 4K1 (not sure what year), Carvin Red Line 1000W, two single 15" JBL bottoms. I got the Carvin cuz it was cheap, but I'm highly impressed with the sound quality.

R10001.jpg

I know that alot of "nu-metal" bands have been using them as of late...

but artists from beck to radiohead use them...I just need something that gives me crisp quality tones without all the background notes. I also prefer to go tube rather than solid state or chip based amps.

I mean, santana was the first guy to use a mesa, so whatever that means.

I'm going to Austin tomorrow to check some stuff out...I'll let you know my findings.

rock on arne, it's cool to know you're a guitarist

I know that alot of "nu-metal" bands have been using them as of late...

but artists from beck to radiohead use them...I just need something that gives me crisp quality tones without all the background notes. I also prefer to go tube rather than solid state or chip based amps.

I mean, santana was the first guy to use a mesa, so whatever that means.

I'm going to Austin tomorrow to check some stuff out...I'll let you know my findings.

rock on arne, it's cool to know you're a guitarist

Primarily bass, really. I just dig checking out what guitarists use equipment wise for the myriad tones they can achieve.

I have another friend who swears by Randall amps big time. He too plays a lot of clean stuff, and has a pretty wicked sound...

I spoke to my brother about this amp....he said it is very high quality. He said it all depends what one is looking for or what sounds you want out of this amp.  He prefers Marshall...but Mesa/boogie is comparable.

and

any doubts about gear - go to harmony central. then take everything with a

pinch of salt - most reviews there are rave reviews - cause they are

generally by people who bought the kit :-)  so tone them down a bit & get

some good advice!!

the f50 has a couple of good reviews which can be found at:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data...12_Combo-01.htm

l

for the combo, or

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data...50_Head-01.html

what is also very handy about these reviews are the inclusion of the prices

paid which can give a good indication of just hhow badly youve just been

ripped off  :-)

Cdub,

thanks for that post. I think this is what I'm looking for. Over the next 6-8 months I'm gonna be upgrading everything to prepare for next summer's touring. this is my wish list:

Mesa/Boogie F-50 amp (replacing my Marshall VS100R)

Boss ME-X multi-effects pedal

Boss Tremolo

Boss Compression/sustainer

Fender Strat American or Tele American (to replace my Mex Strat)

Fender Rhodes stage model

my bass rig is sufficient for now. (hartke 350w amp, Fender Jazz Bass)

One last thing...my friend was getting rid of his Hammond T series organ...so I got it for 50 BUCKS!!! working leslie and all. :headbang

keep on rockin' in the free world y'all...