Kenny's Krushers

TBrown54

aka The Little White Engine That Tries Hard

Only Moncada and Abreu are consistent.  Leury is at his career ceiling.  Eloy is too green to count on this year.  McCann (small sample size) and Anderson (undisciplined hitter, good intangibles) are better than expected, but both question marks.  Mix in remaining ingredients and stamp with the Kenny Williams Seal to guarantee another A.L. bottom-feeding offense (and bottom-feeding attendance).

2 hours ago, TBrown54 said:

aka The Little White Engine That Tries Hard

Only Moncada and Abreu are consistent.  Leury is at his career ceiling.  Eloy is too green to count on this year.  McCann (small sample size) and Anderson (undisciplined hitter, good intangibles) are better than expected, but both question marks.  Mix in remaining ingredients and stamp with the Kenny Williams Seal to guarantee another A.L. bottom-feeding offense (and bottom-feeding attendance).

I get where your coming from and the spirit of the post.  However...if you try I'm sure you could name a few more positives like Gio & Bummer.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, poppysox said:

I get where your coming from and the spirit of the post.  However...if you try I'm sure you could name a few more positives like Gio & Bummer.

Thanks for your comment.  The lack of offensive star power since last of 2005 stars departed has suffocated the franchise.  Giolito has been great, but so was Chris Sale, and he couldn't stand it after awhile, it was a lost cause with Kenny still around.  Moncada, Eloy, Robert, and perhaps Anderson provide optimism, but nothing yet to get the casual fan market to take notice.

33 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

How on earth is Anderson a ?

He has an 8 career WAR in 1850 PAs. That translates to almost 3 per complete season. He's above starter level, slightly below all star level, having an all star year. Not a question mark.

Before this year, I considered him a below average hitter:  current lifetime OBP is .294.  I still don't foresee him as that good of a hitter but I think they can win with him as their SS (and I hope he turns out to be above average hitter).

1 hour ago, TBrown54 said:

Before this year, I considered him a below average hitter:  current lifetime OBP is .294.  I still don't foresee him as that good of a hitter but I think they can win with him as their SS (and I hope he turns out to be above average hitter).

His BABIP was 30 points down from his average last year, 30 points over his average this year. He's getting a ton of cheap singles that are falling in the right spots this year, but he absolutely got robbed last year a lot of times. I would guess that he'll settle at .275/.310/.430/.740 for career marks. I'd take that.

4 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

His BABIP was 30 points down from his average last year, 30 points over his average this year. He's getting a ton of cheap singles that are falling in the right spots this year, but he absolutely got robbed last year a lot of times. I would guess that he'll settle at .275/.310/.430/.740 for career marks. I'd take that.

I will have to look up what is BABIP.  Balls in play average?

31 minutes ago, TBrown54 said:

I will have to look up what is BABIP.  Balls in play average?

Batting average on balls in play. Generally speaking it can be 1 of 2 things - it's a combination of how hard a guy hits a ball and how lucky he's been. If a guy has the highest BABIP in the league with minimal plate appearances (cough James McCann cough) that is often a sign that he's gotten unusually lucky in having balls that were hit in play turn into hits. If a guy hits the ball right at people for a month, he will have a low BABIP, if those same bloop hits fall then he will have a high BABIP. 

Guys who hit the ball right on the nose will often be slightly elevated in that stat, making it a little hard to discern luck from performance, but most big leaguers will fall somewhere in the range of .270-.330 by the end of the year. Someone like Moncada might be a little bit higher because everything he hits turns into a double off the wall since his contact is so hard. Someone like Harper might be a little low because they ground into the shift. Someone like Madrigal might be a little low since his contact is so weak.

If you compare 1 year to another for a player, the low BABIP for Anderson in 2018 could be that he just had an unlucky year and that given enough time  it swung the other way in April of this year. Anderson's BABIP in April was .435, so you could certainly say that no matter how good of contact he was making, he was likely to come dramatically down on his batting average from where he was at the end of April, because about 25% of his hits were just falling in by luck compared to the best hitters in the league. 

• Thanks 1