Not your fathers Yankees: Jacoby Ellsbury situation

Look at Ray Ray Run

The Yankees are trying to deny Ellsbury pay for this year for seeking outside medical treatment without requesting approval.

This is an issue that I have a pretty strong opinion on. The team doesnt own my body and have a very specific desire for my outcomes - which revolves around me playing.

The Yankees are arguing that Ellsbury seeked medical treatment from outside the organization without their approval. They are arguing that warrants them not paying him. This is a poor decision by the Yankees imo but we'll see how it plays out.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

12 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The Yankees are trying to deny Ellsbury pay for this year for seeking outside medical treatment without requesting approval.

This is an issue that I have a pretty strong opinion on. The team doesnt own my body and have a very specific desire for my outcomes - which revolves around me playing.

The Yankees are arguing that Ellsbury seeked medical treatment from outside the organization without their approval. They are arguing that warrants them not paying him. This is a poor decision by the Yankees imo but we'll see how it plays out.

This is a tough one.  The Yankees should rightfully be concerned and have a say in things that will affect his performance. Seeing some of the absolute quacks out there over the years would make me require approval as well.

However, to totally void a contract seems too extreme.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

This is a tough one.  The Yankees should rightfully be concerned and have a say in things that will affect his performance. Seeing some of the absolute quacks out there over the years would make me require approval as well.

However, to totally void a contract seems too extreme.

I agree with your top paragraph - even if we didnt see entirely eye to eye on team physicians main objectives in the past.

You need to protect yourself against all the quacks and loonies out there - like Tom Bradys trainer - but at the same time Ellsbury should have the right to seek help from anywhere he can; especially given his individual case.

Also I believe the doctor they're accusing him of seeing is in nutritional therapy.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

28 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I agree with your top paragraph - even if we didnt see entirely eye to eye on team physicians main objectives in the past.

You need to protect yourself against all the quacks and loonies out there - like Tom Bradys trainer - but at the same time Ellsbury should have the right to seek help from anywhere he can; especially given his individual case.

Also I believe the doctor they're accusing him of seeing is in nutritional therapy.

Seeing anyone he wishes isn't in his or the teams best interest. They are paying him a great deal of money for his physical performance.  They have the right to know what he is doing with his body as well. If he doesnt request the approval, they dont need to pay him that money.

This is especially true with nutritional assistance. This could easily lead to PED suspensions. How many times have you heard a player say they didn't know what they were putting into their body. I would lean towards the player in cases of a specific injury or true health issues. For nutritional assistance as a team I would want to screen the advice and supplements very closely.

On 11/22/2019 at 8:10 PM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I think it's difficult/impossible to know how to feel without having a lot more information than we have.

If you're Ellsbury, the team doesn't own your body, but they do own the rights to your services (which they've purchased, directly from you, at an extremely high price), and so it stands to reason that they should be able to negotiate terms around your health as it relates to your ability to provide those services. For an athlete, I think it's reasonable for that to include the types of therapy/training that the team believes makes sense, not dissimilar for say, an employer of a crane operator to be concerned about said crane operator's illicit drug use. Sure, your employer shouldn't have a say in the moral/ethical quandry of recreational drug use in general, as it pertains to one's life -- but it's hard to argue that that employer shouldn't have a say when said drug use could directly affect the employee's productivity and safety at the workplace. In this instance, the Yankees both (a) have a substantial amount of in-staff medical expertise and experience, and (b) have interests/incentives aligned with the player, in terms of having the player's health in its best interest, so I don't see an ethical problem here, in theory.

Where the Yankees could look bad would depend on how legit their claim really is. What exactly DID Ellsbury do? How drastically does it differ from what the Yankees recommended? What were the range of outcomes, medically, and how relatively risky was each path? At the end of the day, if we had that info and the expertise required to truly understand it, I wouldn't be surprised if we felt the Yankees' claim was complete bullshit or completely legit.

I hope we find out one day, but I doubt that we will. Both parties have legal and ethical obligations, I'm guessing, to keep Ellsbury's health information private.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 7:10 PM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If I'm the Yankees, I'd at least give it a shot. What's the worst that happens? They pay him anyway?