Trade Players in ST

HollywoodTim

3 hours ago, Superstar Lamar said:

The impact of a backup catcher is going to be greatly reduced this short season.  Mc Cann might get 25 starts at most.  I think Collins can cover that amount.

If there is a team out there that is short a catcher and got caught off guard without a DH, I would not be hesitant to move him.  He should be attractive on the market as a team wouldn't have to take on much salary to get a starting quality player.

He's gone at the end of the year.  I'd be fine trading those 25 starts for long term value.  I also think he had his career year and I have little confidence he resembles the offensive player we saw in 2019

His value is higher now given the uncertainty around COVID-19.  If Grandal somehow gets it and is out two weeks, having a quality backup option in McCann could save the season.  I was all for moving him back in the winter, but no way am I giving him in this environment unless blown away.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

I think just the opposite? If there are games every day and/or doubleheaders, the starting catcher is going to need a break. Think about hockey and goalies that get worn down, need off-days to stay fresh down the start.

And then through in the possibility of losing one or two for 2 weeks to quarantine, and I think we might be in the BEST position to have all of the catching depth we have. That position (and SPs) will be the greatest need for depth this season.

Exactly this...great post.

2 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

42%?  He'd be lucky to get 25%.  But he has no value in trade so you just hold him

As the season goes along and some players get Covid maybe some teams will value a replacement for sick players much higher. Of course they also my not given that if they think a season can't be finished why even bother. This is totally unlike any season anyone has witnessed before. Throw every statement that you would make in a normal season out the window. We don't yet know who from the Phil and Jays has it . If we keep getting reports like that the season might not even start.