What is allowed at Soxtalk?

Look at Ray Ray Run

I 100% understand the locking political threads and threads that go that way if that's not the intention of the forum.

But locking threads and squashing discussion in threads about baseball, and a literal Sox in-game decision because posters don't agree I really don't understand. I think that just pushes people away, but maybe I'm wrong.

Is the rule to agree with everyone? Just trying to figure it out.

• Like 1

• bmags locked and unlocked this topic

That thread devolved to cheap shots and personal attacks and it’s better to lock it than suspend people though it’s getting to that point with some. 

Your response wasn’t even a problem but it’s not going anywhere good.

To directly answer your question,  what is allowed is determined by the owner and interpreted constantly, continually, and quickly by the mod/admin team. We continually review decisions and discuss the overall tone of the board. 

We get some wrong, both in allowing some threads to go too long and shutting some down too early. But we also get a lot of them right. 

:gosoxretro:

I knew the GA/Atlanta ASB one would be locked before I even opened it.

Limiting dropboxes, precincts in minority areas, not allowing snacks or even water when lines are prolonged, trying to shut down voting at 5 p.m. should be obvious points that transcend race in America and goes to the very core of what constitutes a democracy.

The interesting aspect here is that baseball is viewed by most as a sport for older white fans.  Many in that constituency are likely Trump or GOP voters.

There’s not quite the same demographic overlap as the NBA and NFL.

However, if Manfred wants to cater to younger, less white fans...it makes sense. But it feels like more political correctness simply because MLB has been so sensitive over the last twenty years about the declining percentage of African American players as well as white ownership groups.  

In my opinion, it’s better to stress the opportunities for Latin American players, but they are nevertheless two sides of the same coin (minority participation and representation.) Even then, you’d have more people upset with Roberto Clemente’s #21 being retired like Jackie Robinson’s than with honoring Hank Aaron in a similar fashion.  The MLB argument is there is already a specific Clemente day and humanitarian award that in some ways is the most respected one that MLB awards each year.

Do I really think Manfred cares at all about disenfranchisement, though?...not at all.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 1

• Texsox locked this topic