For all the retirees

The Grinder

First I'm happier than JR in a garage sale for you, youve worked yr ass off and am hoping you have decades of blissful retirement ahead of you. I'm self employed and I will be working until I drop but thats ok

Next like my Mom said, when someone has nothing to do they assume YOU have nothing to do and therefore they will take up yr time like nothing else

My one buddy cant understand why I cant take off an afternoon and go fishing

Another one calls me excessively almost every day to chat about nothing of importance

Another one will stop by my place of business just to shoot the shit I'm shocked he hasnt brought his chess board in

Am I the only one who deals w this? I feel bad always telling them I have to get back to work (and biz in slow but that doesnt mean theres nothing to do) and at times they cop attitude. 

If I'm ever fortunate enough to retire and I;m not one to sit around the house I hope I dont impose this on my working friends!

5 hours ago, The Grinder said:

First I'm happier than JR in a garage sale for you, youve worked yr ass off and am hoping you have decades of blissful retirement ahead of you. I'm self employed and I will be working until I drop but thats ok

Next like my Mom said, when someone has nothing to do they assume YOU have nothing to do and therefore they will take up yr time like nothing else

My one buddy cant understand why I cant take off an afternoon and go fishing

Another one calls me excessively almost every day to chat about nothing of importance

Another one will stop by my place of business just to shoot the shit I'm shocked he hasnt brought his chess board in

Am I the only one who deals w this? I feel bad always telling them I have to get back to work (and biz in slow but that doesnt mean theres nothing to do) and at times they cop attitude. 

If I'm ever fortunate enough to retire and I;m not one to sit around the house I hope I dont impose this on my working friends!

Nothing worse than being an overworked employee of your own business.  Might as well go work for somebody at that point.  You’re stealing from your own family the personal time and money they deserve from you.  

Sucks.  Been there.  Felt like that.  Still do at times.  What’s stopping you from charging more and hiring somebody to do a lot of your work?

15 hours ago, The Grinder said:

Another one will stop by my place of business just to shoot the shit…Am I the only one who deals w this? I feel bad always telling them I have to get back to work. 

I have a similar issue with people I work with who don’t know when to end a conversation, or get triggered to start on a new topic when it should be pretty clear that I’m either very busy, not interested, or what they’re talking about has nothing to do with me/my work.

One girl will walk up to my desk, see I’m on a teleconference, and still start talking to me. Even if I say, “I’m in a meeting”, she’ll acknowledge but plow ahead with whatever she was going to say.

12 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

Nothing worse than being an overworked employee of your own business.  Might as well go work for somebody at that point.  You’re stealing from your own family the personal time and money they deserve from you.  

Sucks.  Been there.  Felt like that.  Still do at times.  What’s stopping you from charging more and hiring somebody to do a lot of your work?

I love what I do for the most part, I'm in a biz that depends on disposable income and in these parts, thats tough. I will retire sometime but will keep working at something. My part time employees are like family, I know for a fact they understate their hours so they can stay w me

I'm a lifelong bachelor so have no kids just siblings neices  and nephews who I rarely see. My GF has a wonderful family