BA Org Talent Rankings Update

DirtySox

Baseball America has done a midseason farm system ranking update.

White Sox have moved from 30th to 24th. Also Colas seems to have moved from #99 to #96 on the top 100.

Chicago White Sox
Notes:
Preseason 2022: 30 | 2021: 20 | 2020: 8 | 2019: 6 | 2018: 4 | 2017: 5

Top 100 Prospects (2): SS Colson Montgomery (36); OF Oscar Colas (96)

The Skinny: Shortstop Colson Montgomery and outfielder Oscar Colas have been excellent this season, and Bryan Ramos has stretches of greatness as well. Righthander Cristian Mena has intrigued at the lower levels, and infielders Lenyn Sosa and Jose Rodriguez have been impressive at times as well, with Sosa earning his first big league callup. The White Sox invested heavily in pitching in the draft, including high-end talents Noah Schultz and Peyton Pallette with their first two picks.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/2022-mlb-midseason-organization-talent-rankings/

Edited by DirtySox

I didn't realize the Tigers were having such a tough time with the farm during the rebuild. They went from 6th to 27th. Though I suppose they had graduations in Tork/Greene and a few others?

Detroit Tigers
Notes:
Preseason 2022: 6 | 2021: 5 | 2020: 11 | 2019: 14 | 2018: 20 | 2017: 25

Top 100 Prospects (1): RHP Jackson Jobe (69), RHP Wilmer Flores (90), 2B Jace Jung (94)

The Skinny: The Tigers have seen Riley Greene live up to expectations in the majors, while Spencer Torkelson struggled. The Tigers' 2022 draft is promising, and players like Reese Olson, Garrett Hill and Kerry Carpenter have provided bright spots. But the system as a whole has consistently struggled to produce hitters who become MLB regulars.

Royals are also dead last at 30 after being 5th initially (tons of graduations), and the Twins are 25th after the trade deadline.

Edit: Holy moly, Asa Lacy has not been good for the Royals. Also dealt with lots of injuries. I thought he was going to be a slam dunk.

Edited by DirtySox

This seems about right to me.  One interesting question on philosophies -- would you rather have a couple of impact talents or a lot of depth.  The Cubs, for instance, have had no break outs this year, but they have depth throughout.  The Sox have a decided lack of depth, especially on the mound, but Montgomery, Colas, Ramos, and Sosa all profile ahead of Pete Crow-Armstrong and Brennan Davis offensively at this point.  Clearly, the rankings factor in depth at a fairly high level, but winning in the majors requires the farm to produce impact players.  I think the Cardinals are a great example of a deep farm system that produces a lot of big league contributors.