And so it begins!

Chimpton

23 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Funny thing is stretching can decrease speed and power. There is a fine line and you cannot expect the athletes to know exactly what their line is. I doubt Eloy was missing any stretching sessions. The strength and conditioning guys stretch the guys out or at least supervise. Injuries are going to happen. I don’t fault the trainers or conditioning guys or players. Most during the season go through the same routines. Some never get hurt, some seem always injured.

You could not be more incorrect on stretching can decrease speed and power. Go watch the world class track sprinters at world class events and see how much they stretch. 

Btw, if you ever went to a game when Abreu played for us, his stretching before the game was quite extensive. He also was stretching before every at bat in the on deck circle. In fact all the baseball players on all teams stretch. 

“1B is a sieve though and the outfield potentially a disaster again.”

I don’t think either one of these is true. I’ve never hear any concerns about Vaughn’s defense at 1st. I would think he’d, being younger, would be at least as good as Abreu on D. Are there concerns about Vaughn’s D at first?

Outfield defense should be a team strength: gold glovers in left and center and Colas is athletic enough to be in center at times and he has the great arm in Right.

On 3/26/2023 at 5:46 AM, Kyyle23 said:

Why did you pick mostly first basemen.  Kind of flies in the face of “these guys all can run around the outfield” point that we always debate about Eloy, doesn’t it

First of all they weren't all first baseman. Secondly the poster made the claim that the reason Eloy gets injured so often is because of pulled muscles that all big men seem to have. I was establishing the fact that being a big and/or tall baseball player has nothing to do with getting injured.. As a result I wanted to show the fact that tons of big men play close to full seasons. 

Plus Eloy's injuries sometimes have been just running down the first base line. The players I listed also run down the line often and obviously stay healthy and played a more extensive season than Eloy ever has. 

On 3/26/2023 at 12:23 AM, Leonard Zelig said:

What criteria are you using to define “big men”?   Because it really appears that you’re cherry picking here. 

Big was the criteria just as the original poster stated. He called Eloy big at 6'4" 240 lbs. and that was the reason he was always injured with his pulled muscles. As a result, I posted players who have the similar size and weight and played a pretty full season unlike Eloy's pathetic 84 games.