Santos gets some love from...Benetti?

caulfield12

Maybe I'm being too sensitive, but it's very funny to me how they just ignore the whole of his White Sox tenure for this framing...

Santos is a 24-year-old reliever who has already been through three organizations, and he’s now on to his fourth. He’s got a career 4.00 ERA, and he was DFA’d by the Giants as recently as December 2022. His 2023 season ended early due to elbow inflammation. Quite the sales job, isn’t it?

Somehow, absolutely nothing happened between his Giant's DFA and late season injury 🙄

When a playoff team trades two of their top 25 prospects and a draft pick for you, you're no longer "under the radar"...and when you have a 132 ERA+/2.65 FIP over a full season, it would be very hard to follow that up with anything that could be considered a "breakout."

But sure. I look forward to him producing much the same results as he did here and being heralded as some hidden gem that only the Mariner's staff was savvy enough to unlock after he unfortunately disappeared into an alternate dimension during the 2023 season.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

Maybe I'm being too sensitive, but it's very funny to me how they just ignore the whole of his White Sox tenure for this framing...

Somehow, absolutely nothing happened between his Giant's DFA and late season injury 🙄

When a playoff team trades two of their top 25 prospects and a draft pick for you, you're no longer "under the radar"...and when you have a 132 ERA+/2.65 FIP over a full season, it would be very hard to follow that up with anything that could be considered a "breakout."

But sure. I look forward to him producing much the same results as he did here and being heralded as some hidden gem that only the Mariner's staff was savvy enough to unlock after he unfortunately disappeared into an alternate dimension during the 2023 season.

this was an incredibly stupid remark that made me not want to read the rest of the article. i'm slightly offended too.

"breakout relievers" is a silly thing to write about anyway. the "breakout relievers" are probably treading water in AAA or are currently failing as a starting pitcher. I think this article would've been more entertaining if all of the choices were starting pitchers, Michael Kopech for example has a promising career as a setup man.

• Like 1