Who the heck voted Chapman to Sox?

caulfield12

This article is such a mess.  Why would the White Sox sign Chapman?  Why does anyone think the Brewers and the Orioles sign Snell and give up draft choices when they can sign Montgomery in extremely unlikely event of them spending money?  Doesn't the Red Sox have enough DH types on their roster to sign JD Martinez?  

Article definitely compared 2024 projected payroll to 2023 payroll and used that to decipher who had money left to spend.  

I'd like to be on record saying I love Chapman and I bet Getz does too.  

With that being said I really think Getz's budget is so tight that he couldn't even fire the manager or pitching coach after they underachieved by 30+ wins. 

The only logical path to getting Chapman is basically Sox use the money so that Chapman is than more affordable and can get spun to a contender at the deadline. It isn't crazy - other than Sox have never done something like this, but the logic makes sense.  Chapman gets big money on ST deal and essentially knows as long as he stays healthy and produces he'll ultimately play for a contender. IF he does well - he got paid a ton this year plus is in a better spot to make a ton next year as he hopefully helped a contender get deeper or win it all.  

With that said - I presume he would prefer to do that staying on the west coast and there is no way Sox are going to pay him a 1yr 25M deal.