Kenny Williams

Soxguy

I'm a pretty new poster here, but the last few days I have been surfing through some very old posts just reading various things discussed during the season. In many posts I see references to Kenny Williams no longer being our GM and he does not control our team anymore? I'm very confused by this. Can anyone clear this up for me?

I'm a pretty new poster here, but the last few days I have been surfing through some very old posts just reading various things discussed during the season.  In many posts I see references to Kenny Williams no longer being our GM and he does not control our team anymore?  I'm very confused by this.  Can anyone clear this up for me?

Well this offseason is very important for KW to say the least. He's got a payroll of about $55 to $60 million to fit under, and if Ozzie's a failure here, I think KW will be shown the door. I think he did all he could last season gettin Alomar and Everett but it was JM's blunders which ended up costing us a spot in the postseason.

I'm a pretty new poster here, but the last few days I have been surfing through some very old posts just reading various things discussed during the season.  In many posts I see references to Kenny Williams no longer being our GM and he does not control our team anymore?  I'm very confused by this.  Can anyone clear this up for me?

Simply put, that was a rumor that didn't quite come to fruition.

Because after the debacle that is shaping up to be the '04 season, the White Sox will need a fall guy  :lol:

The sad thing is that the Sox will probably use KW as the scapegoat (saying they have a bad season), but we all know this lands squarely on JR's shoulders.

He relies too much on loyality to employees (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but since he refuses to fire someone that is obviously not doing the job, it is a bad thing in this case) and he doesn't have a strong enough crowbar to open that wallet of his and take care of business.

There was speculation during midseason that Ken Williams was going to be removed from his post as the General Manager.

Ken Williams is still the GM though. This will be his make it or break it season if you ask me. Personally I like Kenny. He's not the best, but he's pretty darn good and I believe him when he says he will do everything it takes to bring a world series ring to the South Side of Chicago. The problem is, he has JR limiting what he can do, which makes it incredibly tough. This will be his toughest offseason though, but if he can move Konerko and Koch and then get Maggs value to shoot up, he may find himself in a position to put together a hell of a ball club at JR's price.

Very good post. Im a big KW backer, and found he has done a good job as GM, under JR circumstances.

I must say, he has always made me very excited with trades he makes. I was excited about the Wells, Ritchie, and Koch trades when they happen (ouch), and I was excited about the Colon, Everett, and Alomar trades. I have faith that KW will make a trade this year which makes me happy to be a White Sox fan.

I must say, he has always made me very excited with trades he makes. I was excited about the Wells, Ritchie, and Koch trades when they happen (ouch), and I was excited about the Colon, Everett, and Alomar trades. I have faith that KW will make a trade this year which makes me happy to be a White Sox fan.

I didn't like the Toad or Botch trade from the moment I heard about them.

D Wells/B Colon were good trades..... D Wells, of course, being a good trade at the time it was made.

As exciting as the R Alomar and Everett trades were at the time, KW and the Sox refusing to further deal for a 5th starter may have quashed any White Sox postseason hopes.

I have no faith in KW when he makes offseason deals. None. In the above offseason trades, KW is batting .225..... 1 (Colon) for 4 (Wells, Toad, Botch). Not to mention, KW is the guy that brought us K-layton. As for guys like Marte, even a blind squirrel eventually finds a nut.

Because after the debacle that is shaping up to be the '04 season, the White Sox will need a fall guy  :lol:

Not necessarily.

After the debacle of the 1997 season, Ron Schueler was retained as GM for 3 more years. It was Terry Bevington that was shown the door. Since Terry Bevington II will only be in his first year as manager, its ulikely that either of them will be fired. Especially since it was Reinsdorf who really made the decision to hire Bevington II in the first place.