Player ratings

southsider2k5

So since Tom Gordon is an A group player what kind of compensation do we get?

The Yankees first round pick plus a sandwich pick, I believe. But there are all kinds of comlications based on what other free agents that the Yanks sign as to who actually gets their first round pick, and who gets sandwich picks instead.

First off, good find, ss2k. I will add a link to the Baseball America List that only includes free agents and does not include their scores.

Free Agent Compensation Rankings

We discussed this yesterday in another thread, but I will summarize again here.

All the Sox have to do is offer Gordon arbitration before the December 7 deadline, which is a formality. If the Yankees would sign no other Type A free agent, then the sox would get the Yanks 1st round pick (because the pick is #16-30) and a supplemental first round pick. If the Yanks were drafting in spots 1-15, the Sox would get their 2nd rounder.

Unfortunately, the Yanks look to be ready to sign Gary Sheffield as well as others down the road, I am sure.

The way it works is that if a team signs multiple players, then the team losing the highest rated player will get the higher pick (1st round). It does not say whether that is based on Type A, B or C alone. If both are Type A players, it does not say how that "tie" is broken. If it is done by the ranking of the player, then with Sheffield being ranked at 91.579 and Gordon at 74.791, then the Braves would get the Yankees 1st round pick over the Sox. The Sox I believe, would then get their 2nd round pick plus the supplemental 1st rounder, of course. My guess is that is how it is done. But if there is another "tie breaking" criteria, then it is not made clear anywhere that I have found.

So you see, it is clear as mud and can only get muddier as the Yanks continue to sign free agents, especially if they are Type A's.

Either way, two fairly high draft pciks for Gordon is ok by me.

The trick is finding a couple of guys who can contribute quickly, and get them signed. Fortunately, the Sox have been pretty good about getting their top guys signed.

It seems the Sox have been leaning toward college talent lately, although not exclusively by virtue of their drafting Ryan Sweeney.

Guys like Brian Anderson and Jeremy Reed are good examples of guys who are thought of very highly and are close to contributing, or at least closer than a high school or JC pick.

Another advantage is a guy can be included in a trade, like Ring, if it's one year since they've been drafted. I'm sure the Mets were more interested in Ring because it appears he's fairly close to contributing at the major league level vs. a prospect who's 3-4 years away.

So once again, it comes down to scouting and player development.

Another completely unrelated thought ... the more I think about it, I wouldn't be surprised if Borchard is included in any potential deal with the Dodgers (Konerko/Perez, etc.). Borchard might be a good gamble for them.

Draft questions:  How many rounds are there?

If the yankees continue to sign the type A  players, will they even have high round picks?

The baseball draft goes on for what seems like forever. I think there is something like 50 rounds. It used to be unlimited and would go on until the last team stopped taking players. That has changed over the years and the draft has been reduced. Not sure of the exact # of rounds, however.

Yep 50 rounds. Gaston was a very good prospect who ended up going to Notre Dame. He had great grades and had no interest in playing in the pros at this point. He will be a high draft pick a few years from now if he continues to fill.

For some reason I think he was also a high school qb, but I may be mistaken on that. Somewhere I can find a write up of the draft review we wrote for FutureSox (Which will be back up during the early spring with a new prospect list). I'm building a brand new format/database for it that is still very preliminary but from what I can tell is pretty cool.

Yes, they could get it for Everett...the problem is to get a draft pick compensation you must offer your player arbitration. If the Sox offered Everett arbitration then it will be based on last years pay, which was 8 mill I believe and the minimum pay cut a player can receive in arbitration is 20%. This would basically have the Sox screwed because Everett would most likely accept arbitration and that would be that.

Now if Everett reaches an agreement before December 7th with the Devil Rays (A definate possibility) then the Sox could offer him arb and as long as Carl is signing a solid multi year deal, I don't see him accepting arbitration and then the Sox can get a supplementary pick.

Did we have to offer arbitration to Flash Gordon... I don't understand this shyte!

Yes, but we have till December 7th to offer it. Since he's signed the Sox will obviously offer it and they are ensured getting the two picks. At the very worse we have a sandwich first rounder and a 2nd rounder and at the best a first rounder and a sandwich first rounder.

WOrks out real good if ya ask me. We couldn't of gotten that by dealing Gordon.