3 hours ago3 hr I am going to be honest here, 2005 to 2006 is in the back of my head, where we rode our top dogs hard, and then they fell off the next year for the most part. If it were me, I am 100% looking for big innings next year, and I am NOT willing to count on the guys who we used hard in the last two months of the season as a whole. My gut tells me that guys like Newcomb, Hudson, Richards, Burke, Fedde, Schutlz, Taylor etc, are all at pretty high jumps YoY, and/or they were ridden really hard in the last two months of the season. I don't think they all will fall off, but if half had bad years next year, I wouldn't be surprised.
2 hours ago2 hr I wonder how deeply the Sox are scouting potential posting targets from NPB for next year. They got a gem in Murakami - perhaps they go to the well again if they feel a starting pitcher is being undervalued. Hiromi Itoh projects as a back-end starter, which is something the starting pitching-starved Sox could use without breaking the bank.
2 hours ago2 hr Author 35 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:I am going to be honest here, 2005 to 2006 is in the back of my head, where we rode our top dogs hard, and then they fell off the next year for the most part. If it were me, I am 100% looking for big innings next year, and I am NOT willing to count on the guys who we used hard in the last two months of the season as a whole. My gut tells me that guys like Newcomb, Hudson, Richards, Burke, Fedde, Schutlz, Taylor etc, are all at pretty high jumps YoY, and/or they were ridden really hard in the last two months of the season. I don't think they all will fall off, but if half had bad years next year, I wouldn't be surprised.yes and this is why we need a key FA add. hopefully a TOR type. 3 years say 100 million for one of the vet FAs.
2 hours ago2 hr 6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:yes and this is why we need a key FA add. hopefully a TOR type. 3 years say 100 million for one of the vet FAs.You have to find 300 more starting innings next year. That pushes the rotation into a reasonable spot, and reduces the burden on the pen so they don't get exposed as much.
1 hour ago1 hr Author 14 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:Schultz could be in the mix also.maybe imo. I kinda feel they are going to slow play him one way or another. maybe he even starts in Charlotte and continues to work on his mechanics in a lower pressure environment. Or they have him out of the pen for more of the year in Chicago.
1 hour ago1 hr Grant Taylor is and will be the Closer. It would be extra foolish to move him into the rotation. Castillo's future is uncertain because it became obvious that he lost velocity, movement and control of his fastball and did not have confidence to even attempt off-speed pitches. More concerning to me was that Castillo looked too nonchalant on the mound. He wasn't focused for whatever reason. A DFA would be a disaster financially for the team but might be the right move during Spring Training if he still sucks.
2 minutes ago2 min 5 hours ago, joejoesox said:Sox could get a haul for Grant Taylor, if they aren't sold on him being able to absorb a starter's innings for a full season, trading him this off season could help you find that next potential 2 SP and maybe more, I'm not suggesting they trade him but if someone blows you away you gotta consider itThe way Will has used him this season makes him more valuable than a SP, imo. Sucks for Grant because he won’t get paid as well when he gets to FA down the line, but there’s no way in hell I’m dealing him until he’s knocking on the door of FA.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.