Colon, Sully to be offered arbitration

Cerbaho-WG

These are really logical moves, but sometimes with you have to applaud logical moves with this team!!! Worse case scenario with both these players are they accept arbitration and they come back, this is a reasonabile salary situation.

The longer Colon hasn't signed with the Angels the more I think that the 4 year 48 is either just a false report or heavily deffered, so I actually think Colon may take arbitration and try free agency again off season, especially since Sox may be closer to a bigger television deal at that point with the new Comcast deal, hence more money to offer him. The real tell tale sign for Colon will be when Pettite signs somewhere, than could cut another leg out from Colon and his agent if he resigns with NY

The longer Colon hasn't signed with the Angels the more I think that the 4 year 48 is either just a false report or heavily deffered, so I actually think Colon may take arbitration and try free agency again off season, especially since Sox may be closer to a bigger television deal at that point with the new Comcast deal, hence more money to offer him.

Hopefully, the hungry Colon goes 22-7 with 2.50 ERA with us in 2004 and smokes people in the playoffs, which would help both parties. The he can get overpaid in the offseason and we can use new revenue and fan interest to go after Mulder.

Hopefully, the hungry Colon goes 22-7 with 2.50 ERA with us in 2004 and smokes people in the playoffs, which would help both parties.  The he can get overpaid in the offseason and we can use new revenue and fan interest to go after Mulder.

Hey, that'd be great! I'm glad these two were offered arbitration. I know we may have to wait a bit more w/ Colon, but do you think Sully will take his offer?

Hey, at least if we lose Colon and Sully if still get 7 draft picks(9 if we offer Everett arbitration) in the first 2 rounds. Hope this turns out to be a strong draft.

It's important to note that we would not be able to sign 7 or 9 first round types. That would be too expensive. We'd have to take lower calibre players for less money.

It's important to note that we would not be able to sign 7 or 9 first round types.  That would be too expensive.  We'd have to take lower calibre players for less money.

Well, if no free agents were signed their would be a lot of spare money (maybe) and the Sox's have been pretty good at signing their top draft picks (given their agent isn't Boars). Plus for every 1st round pick or sandwich pick you don't sign you get an extra sandwich pick the following season.

Hey, at least if we lose Colon and Sully if still get 7 draft picks(9 if we offer Everett arbitration) in the first 2 rounds. Hope this turns out to be a strong draft.

How do you figure 7? I got two for Gordon, two for Colon and I think Sully is a B so one from him. That be 5, but I could be missing someone.

By the way ...

Was the Gordon signing with the Yankees deal ever officially announced? I find it a little strange that I haven't seen anything about it, especially seeing as today is the arbitration deadline, and "officially" signing him afterwards will allow NYY to keep the draft picks.

Plus, the two picks which originally belong to the Sox.

Thanks, after making the post I realized I wasn't counting the original picks the Sox had.

This should definately put the Sox in a good position to get some stud pitchers and some other stud prospects. I think the Sox will have a pitcher heavy draft this year.

And my guess is that Shaffer will be running it. I Think Shaffer still ran last years draft too, but I could be wrong.

By the way ...

Was the Gordon signing with the Yankees deal ever officially announced?  I find it a little strange that I haven't seen anything about it, especially seeing as today is the arbitration deadline, and "officially" signing him afterwards will allow NYY to keep the draft picks.

That will only work for New York if the Sox fail to offer Gordon arbitration. If they offer, and the Yanks sign him, we get the picks regardless of when they "officially" sign him.

Yes ... and I'd imagine the fact NYY offered a two year deal at such a high number would eliminate any concern the Sox would have that Gordon would decide to accept an arbitrators offer, thereby sticking the Sox with paying a higher salary than they want to.

So they'll offer him arbitration, and the draft picks are ours.

I see Lightenberg was just cut loose (in effect) by Baltimore. That's a guy I'd like to have in the pen, along with Sullivan. I'd suspect Kerry L. will be chased after by lots of teams and the Sox would be low on his list.

Mac, there is no way in hell we offer Everett arbitration. We would either lose, or we'd win and pay him about $8 mill a year. You wanna pay Carl Everett $8 mill a year and watch him hit .280 30 100 TOPS? I sure as hell don't.

Either he will be resigned, or he will be gone with no compensatory picks in return, plain and simple. I am about 99% sure the latter will occur, and not the former.

And do whoever said worst case scenario is that both Colon and Sully accept arbitration, :finger . That's best case scenario :)

Either way, it's win-win. That's the beauty of arbitration and compensatory picks.

Mac, there is no way in hell we offer Everett arbitration.  We would either lose, or we'd win and pay him about $8 mill a year.  You wanna pay Carl Everett $8 mill a year and watch him hit .280 30 100 TOPS?  I sure as hell don't.

Many times players and team will make a deal in which the player wouldn't accept arbitration when offered in order to give the team more time for negotiations. All KW would have to do is trick Everett into thinking he seriously has interest in him and than make a low-ball offer (or that Sox trademark deferred money) Everett would than have no choice but to look somewhere else providing us with 2 more draft picks. It's kinda shady, but a good acting job can make it look good.

Yes ... and I'd imagine the fact NYY offered a two year deal at such a high number would eliminate any concern the Sox would have that Gordon would decide to accept an arbitrators offer, thereby sticking the Sox with paying a higher salary than they want to.

So they'll offer him arbitration, and the draft picks are ours.

I see Lightenberg was just cut loose (in effect) by Baltimore.  That's a guy I'd like to have in the pen, along with Sullivan.  I'd suspect Kerry L. will be chased after by lots of teams and the Sox would be low on his list.

Lightenberg would be an excellent pick up. He has playoff experience from his days with the Braves and if I recall he has some closer experience with the Braves as well.

Sully, Lightenberg and Grimsley are the three guys I would like. Both are righties that are different type of pitchers. I should add that I think Koch should be gone and I think the Mets will eventually get him, with a distant possibility of him joining the Red Sox.

If the Sox deal Koch for Weathers, then I'd suggest just two righty relievers and the addition of a lefty, unless they decide to stick with Wunsch, who is a Type C free agent. Are the Sox going to offer him arbitration? Or do the Sox own his rights still so they can either keep him or non tender?