Atlanta-St. Louis Trade

greasywheels121

Interesting, then you believe the deal was never offered to KW? I'm under the same impression as this deal would've worked for the Sox at so many levels that it woulda been impossible for KW to dismiss it so quickly.

Don't put words into my mouth. I never said that a similar deal might have been offered to the Sox, but at this point we will never know. If a deal involving Wainwright(and maybe others) for Lee was offered, than I think KW would be stupid not to take it, but it is a moot point right now.

When you lose: Maddux $19 mil, Sheffield $10 mil, Lopez $5 mil, you can afford to take on a $14 million dollar player.

Name a better offensive player that is available besides Maggs?

Vlad?- Most of these teams have not been able to come close to a deal.

The Yankees, Red Sox, LA, teams that can pay players all covet a consistent All-Star who is not overpaid. Some people on these boards would take Maggs over Manny, and outside of the Pujols and Bonds of the world Maggs is consistent player who on a good team will be in MVP consideration every year.

The extra $9mil that the Braves would of had to pay for Maggs is nothing to them, they spend $9mil on Paul Byrd.

Not all teams cant afford players who are only slightly overpaid, just our team.

SB

When you lose: Maddux $19 mil, Sheffield $10 mil, Lopez $5 mil, you can afford to take on a $14 million dollar player.

Name a better offensive player that is available besides Maggs?

Vlad?- Most of these teams have not been able to come close to a deal.

The Yankees, Red Sox, LA, teams that can pay players all covet a consistent All-Star who is not overpaid. Some people on these boards would take Maggs over Manny, and outside of the Pujols and Bonds of the world Maggs is consistent player who on a good team will be in MVP consideration every year.

The extra $9mil that the Braves would of had to pay for Maggs is nothing to them, they spend $9mil on Paul Byrd.

Not all teams cant afford players who are only slightly overpaid, just our team.

SB

This is untrue. Multiple reports have said that the Braves are cutting payroll this year. Why do you think that they have let Maddux, Sheffield, and Lopez go? Because they don't need them? You answered your own question in a round about way. The fact that the Braves aren't keeping Maddux, Sheffield, and Lopez should be evidence enough that they are cutting payroll if the reports aren't enough evidence for you. Why not keep Sheffield long-term for about 12-13M/yr instead of give up some good prospects for 1 year of Maggs at 14M? They didn't even offer Sheffield arbitration because they were affraid that the Yankees deal might fall through and he would accept the arbitration offer. You need to look at things from the perspective of the other team as well. It will give you a much better understanding of the game and possible trades. The overall fact is that the Braves are cutting payroll this year and probably wouldn't have taken on all of Maggs 14M contract.

The Braves have removed a total of 44mil from payroll from last year.

The trade of Drew and Marrero (4-5mil and 3mil respectively) means the Braves spent a total of 7-8mil to get Drew.

Brave's sources say that they are going to have about 78-80 mil payroll so even with increases the Braves will have about 10mil to play after the Drew trade.

The difference in price $6mil is not that high compared to the results, and especially to the Braves a team that is expected to win.

If William's wants to move Maggs, there will be plenty of takers.

SB

The Braves have removed a total of 44mil from payroll from last year.

The trade of Drew and Marrero (4-5mil and 3mil respectively) means the Braves spent a total of 7-8mil to get Drew.

Brave's sources say that they are going to have about 78-80 mil payroll so even with increases the Braves will have about 10mil to play after the Drew trade.

The difference in price $6mil is not that high compared to the results, and especially to the Braves a team that is expected to win.

If William's wants to move Maggs, there will be plenty of takers.

SB

Isn't drew himself slated to get about 8 mill in arbitration this year or at least thats what I remember reading when their were talks that he could be headed to the Sox early this season.

Well da Cards win this trade in my opinion. Drew is an overated hyped playa who's neva lived up to his potential cos he's always injured, and that won't change. Plus he'll be makin big bucks in arbitration this year. Marrero was just included as a backup as Catcher and on the outfield. Adam Wainwright will be a stud no. 2 or 3 guy in the Cards rotation in bout 2 years and I'm really shocked da Braves traded him when they r gonna lose Maddux in all likelihood. I also think Jason Marquis could blossom in St. Louis as he'll be given a chance in their rotation straight away if they don't sign Millwood or Maddux who LaRussa wants. Ray King is a nice Lefty reliever for da Cards to add to their bullpen as well. He'll replace Fassero.