From Rozner's column....

YASNY

I just read this in Barry Rozner's column at the Daily herald website:

" When we heard last week that the White Sox were working hard to get Bartolo Colon, and pleading with them to finish this high-priced game of chicken, we also were told by a Sox employee that the second half of the equation could be Pudge Rodriguez. "

That's the first I've heard anything about the Sox having any interest in IRod.

Complete Column

Thanks for getting the point.  I-Rod was on the market the same time Sandy was, and we took Sandy.  Why would they work backwards and go after Pudge now?  Makes no sense.

it didnt make sense to sign sandy but it does make sense to sign IROD even after signing sandy...im putting sandy's done for the year mark at may 15th...from that point on its olivo and paul......please tell me this rumor is true and we are after IROD...balt offered him in the 'hood of 6 million i believe...sox can afford that

I don't see this happening, we just signed Alomar and I really don't see any point to Sandy being on this team other than to take some of the pressure off Olivo and help groom him into our catcher of the future.  If we had Pudge, Sandy would be worthless.

Unless KW and Co. think Olivo isn't ready and the Organization is more inclined to go with an IRod/Alomar catching duo at the beginning of the 2003 season..... I don't think that is the case, but there is an outside possibility.

wouldn't be a bad idea, not like we threw a ton of money at Alomar, I believe it was 700,000 or so.

I think they still have some extra cash to work with. Give him $5 mil for one year and have Olivo play in Charlotte.

I like Olivo and would have no problem if he starts up here, BUT we also can't forget that he had a BIG year last year. Perhaps another few months in AAA could help him out.

I don't think it would happen, but getting IROD would be a pretty damn big move after trading for Colon. It would show that the Sox are legit at contending this year and make them immediate contenders.

IF we were to get him, which is pretty doubtful, but let's just say we do, I think they should consider batting him second and moving Valentin down the order: Only problem is Valentin is more productive out the 2-hole. So either this:

2B-Jimenez

C-Rodriguez

DH-Thomas

RF-Ordonez

1B-Konerko

LF-Lee

SS-Valentin

3B-Crede

CF-Rowand

Or This:

2B-Jimenez

SS-Valentin

DH-Thomas

RF-Ordonez

1B-Konerko

C-Rodriguez

LF-Lee

3B-Crede

CF-Rowand

Or perhaps this was a totally useless post and the lineup will be as is:

2B-Jimenez

SS-Valentin

DH-Thomas

RF-Ordonez

1B-Konerko

LF-Lee

3B-Crede

C-Olivo

CF-Rowand

Thanks for getting the point.  I-Rod was on the market the same time Sandy was, and we took Sandy.  Why would they work backwards and go after Pudge now?  Makes no sense.

it didnt make sense to sign sandy but it does make sense to sign IROD even after signing sandy...im putting sandy's done for the year mark at may 15th...from that point on its olivo and paul......please tell me this rumor is true and we are after IROD...balt offered him in the 'hood of 6 million i believe...sox can afford that

I'd give him a one year deal so he can test the market later.

Then Olivo can learn under one of the masters. He could also adjust and get some time in AAA and then come up once Alomar goes down. I couldn't possibly believe this, but why would he possibly mention someone like Pudge, cause it isn't like Sox fans have really talked about him. We just figure we are going to go with Olivo.

I'll say one thing, if we sign Pudge, put him in the 2 hole with Jimenez leading off. Pudge is a sweet 2 hitter, imo.

Mario...I didn't read your post, but it sure looks like I did, because what I said and what you said was like the same damn thing.

I know one thing, remember when we got CJ late a couple years ago, well Pudge is way better then him, offensively and defensively and we could get him for a full year.

Just one year, nothing more. He gets to play for a winning team and in this offense he'll have great protection for a monster season. The Sox can also ocassionally give him time at DH. Then Olivo, who hasn't ever played in AAA, can start the season there, eventually moving up when Alomar goes down. Once Alomar goes down, look for him to be signed up as a coach for the Sox next year (Just my hunch)

Guest hotsoxchick1

havent heard anything on pudge but have heard a rumor floating around about a mid relief guy...........just rumors though nothing solid........

havent heard anything on pudge but have heard a rumor floating around about a mid relief guy...........just rumors though nothing solid........

Is that mid-relief guy Tom Gordon?

I'd sign Irod...I've said that we could get Konerko, Thomas and Irod about 130 games each, with each of them doing some DHing.

Not only that, but it would give Manuel something to tinker with. We all know how he loves to tinker. Suppose he had tinker toys when he was a kid? I bet he did.

Hell....we really only took on about $6 mill of Colon's salary and sent some cash, mostly the cash we got from the Yankees, to the Expos in the deal...I'm sure we could sign him to a 1-year $8 mill contract...our payroll would be about the same as last year with a much improved product. Or we could sign him for $5 mill guarenteed and he'll receive a max total of up to $9 mill or so if he reaches all of his incentives.

Not only that, but IRod is the most popular catcher in the AL, if not the majors...I think Piazza is probably the most popular among all major leaguers, but IRod would still get Chicago a hell of a lot of attention from the media and such. It would attract more fans to come to the ballpark than are already there. JR rose the ticket prices...the least the cheap son of a b**** could do is add Pudge. Olivo could use some more ABs in the minors, and IF Sandy goes down, which he probably will, then Olivo comes up. Sandy will make his annual DL trip, but he was healthy for the rest of the year last year. Hell he was as healthy as Moises Alou....what's that tell you? I'll tell you what it tells me....it means that he was healthy, considering he's Sandy Alomar. And then he retires and we hire him as a catchers coach....we then use Olivo and who not....Alomar still teaches him, albeit a year later, and Alomar DOESN'T take up a roster spot.

I say we do it...but I doubt we will.

Guest hotsoxchick1

dont know if its flash or not.. no names mentioned just a position.. relief..... as for olivo.. hes not going to be in aaa if he makes a good showing at st .... count on paul going down.......dont think we will be getting pudge 2 here either..........just doesnt make sense nor does it fit.... and we already have enough dh's on this team.........why make room for another..........

and we already have enough dh's on this team.........why make room for another..........

Because when healthy, IRod is the best all-around catcher in the game, but he wants to go somewhere where he'll get both catching and DH time. Manuel could tinker something around.

I heard somewhere that he was offered a 40 million buck contract from one of the Japanese teams.

Still, I just don't think its all about the money with Pudge (IROD). Irod wants to play and get his hall of fame credentials and I think he wants to do it in the majors, not elsewhere.

JR, KW, if your reading this, Please go after him with a one year deal...I don't know how I could thank you all, but I'd be very very PLEASED!!!!

If we sign IRod, even if it's for only one year, I will quit my job and work for the Sox Marketing Dept. We would sell a s***potfull of tickets. JR would make a ton. What a marketing Bonanza that would be. Plus, we would kick everyone's ass. Wet Dream. It would piss off every Cub fan in the state. Someone send JR a calculator for Ground Hog Day.

Pudge might be willing to sign for around 5 mil with a good team. He's tring to play for a big contract next season.

Unfortunately or not, Pudge will not play for anyone this season, since he is retired.

Should you be referring to IRod and not Fisk (and there is ONLY ONE PUDGE AND HE WORE #72),

IRod's agent has been asking for more than twice the $5 million you cite, which is why no one has signed him and why his agent said he may go to Japan to get the money he wants NOW.