SN Report

Molto

Jas....I don't think so...if Graffy isn't ready, then Nunez comes up....who plays 3B if Crede gets a little banged up and has to miss a game or two? Jose? And then you're counting on Jimenez playing SS and Harris playing 2B....that's a hell of a lot different from Crede-Valentin-Jimenez from left to right...and then say Rowand isn't ready and Borchard is god-awful in ST....and Harris has to play CF. Who are we gonna use at 2B, Gary Glover?

If Graffy isn't ready....we'll use either Miles, Hummel or Nunez for his spot until he is. Daubach and Rios will battle out for the OF/1B lefty hitter role....and I figure that Daubach will get that role. He's proven it in the past and hustles his ass off(from what I've seen of him).

I figure our bench will look something like this...

Alomar

Daubach

Harris (these are the only 3 I feel are a given)

Nunez/Miles if Graffy isn't ready...otherwise, Graffy

the last one is tough...do we use 3 catchers right away, or do we maybe use Brumbaugh or Burke or whatever his name was that was a good utility player that we just signed....personally, I'd go with our most versatile guy...because as it is, with the 4 guys I have listed, we have 1 that can catch(Alomar), 1 that can play LF, RF, and has played 1B before(Daubach, but anyone could play 1B....it's a matter of fielding and catching the ball as well as holding a guy on base after he gets on base....it's harder than this in reality, but anyone could really play 1B...hell, Willie Harris could play 1B)....two guys that can play 2B(Harris and Nunez/Miles/Graffy) and Harris can also play CF, and Nunez/Miles/Graffy can play SS and 3B....that's all 8 positions...and we have 1 guy for each. We have a very injury prone backup catcher, but that's what the DL and minor leaguers are for...if he gets injured, he goes on the DL...regardless of whether it is risky or not...we don't even want to bother trying to make him go out playing hurt, because he's practically already doing that. I believe it is Burke that can play a bunch of different positions, including catcher....I'd use him as an emergency player.....it is always good to have those type of players on your team, regardless of how well they can hit. That is the reason the Twins have kept Denny Hocking around so long....he can play all 9 positions(though he won't be pitching in the 8th inning if the Twins are up by 1)...but not because of how well he can hit.

Speaking of guys being able to play all 9 positions...wouldn't it be cool as hell to have 2 guys play all 9 positions in 1 game? That'd be a Veeck-like move....almost like announcing that you are going to have a midget come up to bat. Announce about 2 weeks prior to it and basically say "we're going to do something on such-and-such a date that we will have 2 guys play all 9 positions" assuming there is not a race at all....I mean, that kind of thing would get national coverage....it would make stars out of two very ordinary bench players...I don't know how the media would respond, but I can't imagine it would be too badly....can you imagine the laughs that would come out of the clubhouse if Jamie Burke and Josh Paul both pitched on the same day?

When you look at possibilities for the Sox bench I think catcher is the weakest spot. I just have an uneasy feeling with Mark Johnson gone, even though Mark didn't hit for much, and relying on Olivo and Alomar. I want to believe Olivo is ready, but a September call up is not enough history. I just have to say I am not sold on the Oakland trade Koch for Foulke. But money and contracts are the name of the game now and I guess Foulke might have left via free agency leaving us with nothing. Personally though I think Foulke is better than Koch. As an eternal optimist I must believe Koch will save 50 games next year. :bringit

The ten minor leaguer's that were invited to spring training were pitchers Kris Honel, Wyatt Allen, Neal Cotts and Byeong Hak An, catcher Jonathan Aceves, outfielders Scott Morgan, Anthony Sanders and Mario Valenzuela, along with infielders Aaron Miles and Jorge Nunez.

Jason, make sure you say hello to Neal Cotts for me. Tell him that you've talked with a girl who would talk with him at Linkins Dining Center at ISU.

The Sox will likely carry 5 bench players, unless neither Rauch or Loaiza play good in ST to where they will need a seventh reliever.

The five bench players will be:

OF-Rios

1B/OF-Daubach

C-Alomar

2B/CF-Harris

INF-Graffanino/Hummel/Miles/Nunez

Graffanino would have the edge if he was healthy, so I would have to give the edge to Miles.

As far as third base. If Crede goes down, Valentin or Jimenez will take his spot. I'm pretty sure Hummell has played some third before too.

Brian Daubach looks like an ogre... but that doesnt mean hes a damn good baseball player...

As for the rest of the guys, I dont think any of them will make the team. Rauch would do better than Heredia or Loaiza as the fifth starter, even tho hes just a rookie. I think Rauch could post maybe a 4.50 ERA and over the last couple of years Heredia and Loaiza have seemed incapable of doing that. Heredia was real good for the As a couple years ago but not anymore. Hes over the hill. Cooper, Morales and Brumbaugh dont look like much. But Burke could be a diamond in the rough. It didnt give his age (hes seen limited mlb action) but at AAA he had some pretty good stats. Maybe if Olivo isnt ready instead of using Alomar, we could try this guy. He could also be a third catcher. If Olivo fails I dont think I want Alomar playing the rest of the season...

In light of the new signings, Im going to post what I think will be the complete 25 man roster on a new thread...

IN the Bill Veeck era we always picked up guys like Daubauch and it always worked out.

What do you all know of this guy besides stats?

How did we get him? Why did Boston let him go??

Is he over the hill or can he play?

Is he a Clayton like cancer or a good clubhouse guy? For some reason I'm hoping he has a Thome-like demeanor

but I know nothing about Brian D.

Tell me more pls.

Daubach also hustles his ass off wherever he plays....he's a good player....a better version of Jeff Liefer...worthy of starting actually.

Can you believe that next year, we could have 3 lefty power hitters off the bench(Borchard, Rios, Daubach)? We had none last year...however, if we were to make the postseason, I assume only Borchard and Daubach would go, assuming they both hit what they can hit....hell, Rios may not make it out of ST....and he could get traded out of ST(like Marte did last year), which is a point baggs made.