Sox minor leaguers

chicago

I was reading on soxnet about the year in review of the sox minor league affiliates and on the Winston Salem team it mentioned that their ace was a lefty named Jim Bullard. I looked at his stats and they were great, considering how bad Winston Salem's team was. He led the team in wins and ERA among the starters and he made the Carolina League All Star team. He even got a promotion to AA and pitched there for the last month and a half of the season. I was wondering why he is not considered one of the Sox's top pitching prospects. I mean the kid is a 2001 pick and he already has seen AA action. Also he is a lefthanded 6'7 guy who seems to have pretty good stuff according to what I have read. Please fill me in on this guy if you have any knowledge of him and also, where would he rank in the organization's top prospects?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Aboard Chicago.

Bullard is a guy that really pitched good last year. I don't think I'd rate him in my organizational Top 10, mainly because he doesn't have the upside of other guys in the system.

Diaz, Honel, Wing, West, Wyatt Allen, Royce Ring, Edwin Almonte, Arnie Munoz, and Sanders all rank ahead of him in my book.

That doesn't mean he's not good. He has good size and has pitched well. The key is for him to prove he can do it at higher levels consistently. Bullard doesn't have that overpowering stuff scouts drool about, but he gets it done and has a good mind. Basically, Bullard is still a year off, and I think it will be hard for him to make it to Chicago, but you never know what happens. People get traded, people fail, people get hurt. I think Bullards best shot would be getting dealt to another team that doesn't have the depth the Sox have.

At 23, he isn't too old to be in AA, so it should be interesting to see how he does. To me the guy to watch at AA is Neal Cotts, the guy we got in the Billy Koch deal. In the next few days we'll have a AA Preview up on the site.

THanks chisoxfn for the info. I bet Bullard has another solid year. If the Barons can score some runs he'll have a good record to go along with his solid ERA and K/BB ratio. If anything he needs to cut down on hits/inn. From what I've heard about Cotts, he and Bullard are very similar. It should be interesting to see how the Barons do this year with the 2 of them, along with Allen, Phillips etc. in Bham.

I was reading on soxnet about the year in review of the sox minor league affiliates and on the Winston Salem team it mentioned that their ace was a lefty named Jim Bullard.  I looked at his stats and they were great, considering how bad Winston Salem's team was.  He led the team in wins and ERA among the starters and he made the Carolina League All Star team.  He even got a promotion to AA and pitched there for the last month and a half of the season.  I was wondering why he is not considered one of the Sox's top pitching prospects.  I mean the kid is a 2001 pick and he already has seen AA action.  Also he is a lefthanded 6'7 guy who seems to have pretty good stuff according to what I have read.  Please fill me in on this guy if you have any knowledge of him and also, where would he rank in the organization's top prospects?

welcome aboard and hope you enjoy the stay.

Please translate.....Stay away from AA??

The Sox AA club, the Birmingham Barons, are looking like they are going to have a lousy team this year.

Most of our top prospects are either in AAA, with the big club, or in the low minors.

I take it....... Malone, Diaz, West, Arnie, Sanders.......etc are all going to charlotte?

Too bad all their records are gonna suck.......because hitting is pretty weak up there.....

Maybe with the addition of Holt, a healthy Jb, and a healthy Mario Velenezulea (SP?) they can do som damage.

Guest hotsoxchick1
I'll talk about Bullard a bit in my Winstom-Salem preview for this year. Also, stay far away from AA this year, they are going to blow.

yeah im scared to even go down there this year....... its going to be a whole new team......... oh well i guess we gotta restart somewhere huh...........maybe i should follow all the guys to charolette........... :headbang

I'll talk about Bullard a bit in my Winstom-Salem preview for this year. Also, stay far away from AA this year, they are going to blow.

yeah im scared to even go down there this year....... its going to be a whole new team......... oh well i guess we gotta restart somewhere huh...........maybe i should follow all the guys to charolette........... :headbang

I have a good friend in Huntsville. I'm thinking about checking out the Barons when they visit Huntsville, or going on down to B'ham and checking them out.

The Sox AA club, the Birmingham Barons, are looking like they are going to have a lousy team this year.

Most of our top prospects are either in AAA, with the big club, or in the low minors.

welcome aboard to you as well. enjoy :headbang

I was reading on soxnet about the year in review of the sox minor league affiliates and on the Winston Salem team it mentioned that their ace was a lefty named Jim Bullard.  I looked at his stats and they were great, considering how bad Winston Salem's team was.  He led the team in wins and ERA among the starters and he made the Carolina League All Star team.  He even got a promotion to AA and pitched there for the last month and a half of the season.  I was wondering why he is not considered one of the Sox's top pitching prospects.  I mean the kid is a 2001 pick and he already has seen AA action.  Also he is a lefthanded 6'7 guy who seems to have pretty good stuff according to what I have read.  Please fill me in on this guy if you have any knowledge of him and also, where would he rank in the organization's top prospects?

If he keeps this up he could be the organizations next Mark Buehrle. :)

I take it....... Malone, Diaz, West, Arnie, Sanders.......etc are all going to charlotte?

Too bad all their records are gonna suck.......because hitting is pretty weak up there.....

Maybe with the addition of Holt, a healthy Jb, and a healthy Mario Velenezulea (SP?) they can do som damage.

Malone is going to be in AA still. He's got to prove he can pitch there and that he's 100%. I think he'll rebound and have a pretty good season.

That guy has a very high ceiling and can be a devasting lefty in the rotation.

Welcome Aboard Chicago.

Bullard is a guy that really pitched good last year.  

Diaz, Honel, Wing, West, Wyatt Allen, Royce Ring, Edwin Almonte, Arnie Munoz, and Sanders all rank ahead of him in my book.  

That doesn't mean he's not good.  He has good size and has pitched well.  The key is for him to prove he can do it at higher levels consistently.  Bullard doesn't have that overpowering stuff scouts drool about, but he gets it done and has a good mind.  Basically, Bullard is still a year off, and I think it will be hard for him to make it to Chicago, but you never know what happens.  People get traded, people fail, people get hurt.  I think Bullards best shot would be getting dealt to another team that doesn't have the depth the Sox have.

At 23, he isn't too old to be in AA, so it should be interesting to see how he does.  To me the guy to watch at AA is Neal Cotts, the guy we got in the Billy Koch deal.  In the next few days we'll have a AA Preview up on the site.

"I don't think I'd rate him in my organizational Top 10, mainly because he doesn't have the upside of other guys in the system."

"Diaz, Honel, Wing, West, Wyatt Allen, Royce Ring, Edwin Almonte, Arnie Munoz, and Sanders all rank ahead of him in my book. "

question...doesnt bullard have a higher upside then guys like ring,almonte,and munoz??...i dont know much about bullard other than he has put up good number everywhere he has pitched but when you talk about upside you are talking about as far as a guy can go...any starter in the minors should have a higher upside then a reliever because alot of starters become relievers but very few go the other way..and starting pitching is more of a premium...

to look at it another way..if ring cant make in his role..game over..if bullard cant make it as a starter he can always make the move to the bullpen..eric gagne comes to mind in this respect...never had it as a starter..but now is closing for the dodgers...btw..thats another of KW's screw ups everyone forgets about....howry for gagne was a done deal..till williams said he wanted another prospect from the dodgers...

Welcome Aboard Chicago.

That doesn't mean he's not good.  He has good size and has pitched well.  The key is for him to prove he can do it at higher levels consistently.  Bullard doesn't have that overpowering stuff scouts drool about, but he gets it done and has a good mind.  Basically, Bullard is still a year off, and I think it will be hard for him to make it to Chicago, but you never know what happens.  People get traded, people fail, people get hurt.  I think Bullards best shot would be getting dealt to another team that doesn't have the depth the Sox have.

At 23, he isn't too old to be in AA, so it should be interesting to see how he does.  To me the guy to watch at AA is Neal Cotts, the guy we got in the Billy Koch deal.  In the next few days we'll have a AA Preview up on the site.

"I don't think I'd rate him in my organizational Top 10, mainly because he doesn't have the upside of other guys in the system."

"Diaz, Honel, Wing, West, Wyatt Allen, Royce Ring, Edwin Almonte, Arnie Munoz, and Sanders all rank ahead of him in my book. "

question...doesnt bullard have a higher upside then guys like ring,almonte,and munoz??...i dont know much about bullard other than he has put up good number everywhere he has pitched but when you talk about upside you are talking about as far as a guy can go...any starter in the minors should have a higher upside then a reliever because alot of starters become relievers but very few go the other way..and starting pitching is more of a premium...

to look at it another way..if ring cant make in his role..game over..if bullard cant make it as a starter he can always make the move to the bullpen..eric gagne comes to mind in this respect...never had it as a starter..but now is closing for the dodgers...btw..thats another of KW's screw ups everyone forgets about....howry for gagne was a done deal..till williams said he wanted another prospect from the dodgers...

WHAT!!!!

no jon adkins. :D

Malone is going to be in AA still. He's got to prove he can pitch there and that he's 100%. I think he'll rebound and have a pretty good season.

his rep is that 1 yr he does good and the next he doesn't

Welcome Aboard Chicago.

Gagne was a power pitcher with filthy stuff. I know you and I were always drooling at the shot to get Gagne for Howry.

As far as Ring, Munoz, and Sanders go they all are lefties with good stuff, especially Ring and Munoz. Munoz has a nasty nasty curve, while Ring has harder stuff and is closer material.

Those two may be relievers, but they ain't like typical relieving prospects. Also, I kind of have a feeling the Sox are going to try converting Munoz to the rotation.

As far as Sanders goes, he fits more of the Bullard mold, not overpowering, just solid pitcher.

Bullard could pan out though. I can't wait to see some of these kids in Spring.

his rep is that 1 yr he does good and the next he doesn't

The problem with Malone last year was control and an injury. The control stems back to an injury as well as the fact that he is still pretty raw.

Otherwise, people didn't hit Malone much. The year before Malone had a huge jump as he started to figure things out. The guy will be a slower mover strictly because the Sox will have to teach him more things, mainly mechanically, but stuff wise he's right there with Diaz, imo, except he's got a bigger build, which lends me to believe his body will be able to harness his stuff. Something that is a big questionmark when it comes to Diaz, whose very small in stature, much like Juan Cruz, Ramon Ortiz, and Pedro Martinez.

Most likely Malone will start at AAA. He really tried to throw too many changeups, and started forcing them into his pitching scheme. He'll be fine.

For pitchers, in my mind, ranked ahead of Bullard are:

Honel, Malone, Diaz, Munoz, Almonte, and maybe Sanders. Ring hasn't thrown enough innings, and Wyatt Allen is way too unpolished. Bullard will REALLY excel in Birmingham this year, mainly because of its monsterous dimensions. Anything over a 3.5 ERA should be considered sub-par.

Hey sox fans! This is really weird, I was just surfing the net and found this site, so I thought I would check it out to see what you all had to say about the Sox and to my surprise I found something written about me and some of my teammates. I didnt think anyone had any clue who I was since I'm not considered a "top prospect". But anyway, thanks chisoxfn for the assessment of my ability and thanks chicago for asking about me. And those who think Bham won't be any good, just wait, we might surprise you. Thanks again and I'll be looking forward to checking this site out more often. Jim Bullard

Hey sox fans!  This is really weird, I was just surfing the net and found this site, so I thought I would check it out to see what you all had to say about the Sox and to my surprise I found something written about me and some of my teammates.  I didnt think anyone had any clue who I was since I'm not considered a "top prospect".  But anyway,  thanks chisoxfn for the assessment of my ability and thanks chicago for asking about me.  And those who think Bham won't be any good, just wait, we might surprise you.  Thanks again and I'll be looking forward to checking this site out more often. Jim Bullard

lemme be the first to welcome you Jim, it really is nice of you to post on our board.

Good luck in the upcoming season.

Welcome aboard Jim. Its really awesome to here from you. I know one of our regular posters, HSC, goes to Bham every year for a week or so and watches the players and says how much fun it is seeing the future Sox play.

Hopefully your right about the Barons. I'm writing something up on them right now (Just taking a break from it) and from what I can see the one weakness will be having players with much experience in AA back. I do think the rotation should be pretty good, especially with Malone, Ulacia (IF he's in AA to start the season) and You at the top.

Its not too often you see 3 lefties at the front of the rotation and being a lefty myself, there is nothing I like more then good lefties.

Hey sox fans!  This is really weird, I was just surfing the net and found this site, so I thought I would check it out to see what you all had to say about the Sox and to my surprise I found something written about me and some of my teammates.  I didnt think anyone had any clue who I was since I'm not considered a "top prospect".  But anyway,  thanks chisoxfn for the assessment of my ability and thanks chicago for asking about me.  And those who think Bham won't be any good, just wait, we might surprise you.  Thanks again and I'll be looking forward to checking this site out more often. Jim Bullard

welcome aboard, this is really getting wierd. first mark b family and now bullard.

i hope you enjoy your stay. hey how bout writing some stuff about spring training for us, who can't go. :headbang