Sox minor leaguers

chicago

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey chisoxfn who is your buddy on the bball team for the mighty Gauchos? Also, where did Murcielago find that God awful pic of me from my college days. And lastly if you really want me to, I could write a little something for the website about Spring.  Oh ya, Cotts should be in Bham as well, giving us 4 lefties in the rotation, assuming Corwin is back in AA, (which I seriously doubt if he's healthy) Cant wait to see the minor league previews on soxnet as well.

Derrek Wheeler. He's a Redshirt Freshman. It was cool, he got in a couple minutes at the end of the blowout.

Since he's a freshman/walk on he doesn't play too much yet. All I know is they whooped UCI. On Saturday I'm gonna go see them play Long Beach State. Ya, Cotts should be pretty good. I've heard good things about him.

Also, it would be sweet to see your stuff up.

Guest hotsoxchick1

geez guys thanks...i go away for a day and miss all the fun... welcome aboard jim, hope you enjoy your stay around here...i have been going to birmingham for many years now.. (my dad lives down in pell city on logan martian lake) and i spend at least a week if not two going to the barons games every summer.....i was at tenn last year when the barons were getting ready to take the championship from them jaxx..........ive seen guys like maggs, buehrle, garland, borchard some of the freshies you would most likely relate to and then a few of the oldies but goodies like baldwin,thomas, jackson,durham/ray,and even as far back as pasqua take the field down in double a... i was there when michael jordan decided to make his baseball debut.......i love barons baseball.... its a lot of fun and i get to see you all before you guys make it up here ...........i bring back my scouting report each year when i come home and let everyone here know whats what about all you guys on the farm.....i am a little worried about this years barons.. i have come attached to a few who are graduating to the biggs or trip a and its going to be strange seeing all the new faces........i dont know why this freaks me out each and everytime it happens, but it does...........anyhow im glad you happened upon us here and i hope you stick around....we are a very social bunch here and even though it gets a bit nasty at times we still love eachother and love our sox............again welcome aboard............ :D

good job HSC...

jim, we do look forward to HSC's scouting report each year...she was very high on miguel olivo since '01 and she looks to be right on that one so remember the pressure is on when she is down there checking you out!! :lol:

thanks for signing on here and good luck to year this year..looking forward to seeing you maybe as soon as this sept as a call up???...we will be pulling for you

Yeah, i'd definitely have some choice words for JR and KW.

That is one reason why it will never happen. If one of them thought that they might be able to have a civil exchange of ideas and baseball philosophies with reasonable that won't drop the F-bomb 3 times in every sentence, it's possible that one of them just might consider it. And Mac, I'm not singling you out here. But, if I were in either of those guys positions, there is no way that I'd post in here.

I'd also like to welcome Jim Bullard to the board. I come in here and find out quite a bit above the players in the Sox minors from these people. In fact, this board has become my main source of information, with me being geographically removed from the Chicago area. Jim, I'm sure you'll enjoy this board.

Guest hotsoxchick1
good job HSC...

jim, we do look forward to HSC's scouting report each year...she was very high on miguel olivo since '01 and she looks to be right on that one so remember the pressure is on when she is down there checking you out!! :lol:

thanks for signing on here and good luck to year this year..looking forward to seeing you maybe as soon as this sept as a call up???...we will be pulling for you

yeah miguel was my boy down there and is now my boy up here.. at least till joey b gets his act together and makes the trip up....lol....now if only kw would just listen to me and bring on miles.... then we would be alright........lord knows i love that kid too.. and of course he traded my other guy valentine away.........still dont understand that one......but wait and see what he does in oakland.. hes going to be a hot one i tell ya.......

good job HSC...

yeah miguel was my boy down there and is now my boy up here.. at least till joey b gets his act together and makes the trip up....lol....now if only kw would just listen to me and bring on miles.... then we would be alright........lord knows i love that kid too.. and of course he traded my other guy valentine away.........still dont understand that one......but wait and see what he does in oakland.. hes going to be a hot one i tell ya.......

thats funny on valentine...because jim said if he was still with the sox he would have rated valentine as the guy with the nastiest stuff...you got a good eye for judging the youngsters (lol)...

thats why if you say yes on aaron miles then im hoping KW listens...i saw him only once and i was impressed too..im thinking david eckstein JR here..that kid can play..he just needs to have someone look past his lack of size and give him a chance

Guest hotsoxchick1

they need to look past his age and the fact that everywhere hes been hes been the odd man out because they never needed him above the minor leagues..........its a shame too cause he has tons of talent that would be helpful here... id rather have him out playing second as opposed to moe, curley and larry that we currently have sitting around out there...imho hummel should not be on the 40 man and miles should... and he should be given the chance to play in the 2nd base spot.......he can outdo harris with no problem...........let harris play cf till rowand is ready.. afterall thats why we got him in the first place cause of his versatility right???? lets see him use it now.........

they need to look past his age and the fact that everywhere hes been hes been the odd man out because they never needed him above the minor leagues..........its a shame too cause he has tons of talent that would be helpful here... id rather have him out playing second as opposed to moe, curley and larry that we currently have sitting around out there...imho hummel should not be on the 40 man and miles should... and he should be given the chance to play in the 2nd base spot.......he can outdo harris with no problem...........let harris play cf till rowand is ready.. afterall thats why we got him in the first place cause of his versatility right???? lets see him use it now.........

ref to valentin, cotts is going to be judge if this was a deal breaker or not.

then again, what happen if koch either does great or not will the performance of foulke will play a part in that as well.

geez guys thanks...i go away for a day and miss all the fun... welcome aboard jim, hope you  enjoy your stay around here...i have been going to birmingham for many years now.. (my dad lives down in pell city on logan martian lake) and i spend at least a week if not two going to the barons games every summer.....i was at tenn last year when the barons were getting ready  to take the championship from them jaxx..........ive seen guys like maggs, buehrle, garland, borchard some of the freshies you would most likely relate to and then a few of the oldies but goodies like baldwin,thomas, jackson,durham/ray,and even as far back as pasqua take the field down in double a... i was there when michael jordan decided to make his baseball debut.......i love barons baseball.... its a lot of fun and i get to see you all before you guys make it up here ...........i bring back my scouting report each year when i come home and let everyone here know whats what about all you guys on the farm.....i am a little worried about this years barons.. i have come attached to a few who are graduating to the biggs or trip a and its going to be strange seeing all the new faces........i dont know why this freaks me out each and everytime it happens, but it does...........anyhow im glad you happened upon us here and i hope you stick around....we are a very social bunch here and even though it gets a bit nasty at times we still love eachother and love our sox............again welcome aboard............ :D

The more I work on my preview article, the more I think the Barons could be really fun to watch. They are going to have an awesome starting rotation, that will be lefty dominated. I've never seen a team or system with as many lefties as the Sox.

The offense will be what it comes down to, but whenever you have a reall good pitching staff and a great coach like Wally Backman, you got a good shot at competing.

I was very interested in what Jim had to say about some of his teammates.  You talk about inside information, that is it.  As for Miles, if he is the best 2nd baseman we have, he should be in the lineup on opening day, regardless.

I think Miles deserves a shot this spring. If he plays great, then he should be up. The one problem is, the Sox seem to need a backup centerfielder and Harris is one that can fit that bill while still playing 2nd.

HSC's also right about Miles never getting a shot, because he did have Biggio in front of him, and if I recall he was with Houston pretty much his whole career.

If he rips the cover off the ball in spring or dominated down in Charlotte, then he should be with the Sox.

TO: Molto:

When do you plan on revising your top 25 list? I bet when you do it will include Anthony Webster and Jim Bullard.

Speaking of which, I think it is tremendous that one of our minor league players (J. Bullard) took the time to correspond to all of us, and I hope you continue making comments in Spring Training and whereever you end up playing this year.

We'll be starting that type of stuff near the beginning of the season and then will continuosly update it every month during the season.

The list will look much different this year, cause the Sox have a lot more prospects down in the lower levels and that list didn't include many of them.

Well, this year we will have a minor league section on the site, which will be run by Jason (chisoxfn), Cerb, and Mark (Murcie). I think they will update the list every month or so.

That section will be up and running sometime around March I'd say.

It is great to see a Sox prospect post on here, I would've never of thought so.

As things stand right now, almost on the eve of Spring Training, who does the Sox Brass rate higher as potential big league Center Fielders:  Anthony Webster or Jeremy Reed?

webster is going to be the man. even tho reed is good, webster has hitting power.

Well, this year we will have a minor league section on the site, which will be run by Jason (chisoxfn), Cerb, and Mark (Murcie).  I think they will update the list every month or so. 

At the begginning of the season, I think that you'll most likely see a new list. updating some of the players that are not here anymore.......... and the ones who have improved through spring training and such.

i found this and some info hope it helps

Anthony Webster, OF

HT: 6-0 WT: 190 Bats: L Throws: R 2003 AGE: 20 on 4/10/03

The Skinny: Sometimes, when the draft rounds hit double figures, teams just take a chance on a pure athlete with little baseball experience. The White Sox did just that with Webster, selecting him in the 15th round in the 2001 draft. His progress since signing has been almost staggering. Webster is one of the best athletes in the system, and he makes excellent contact while showing an understanding of the strike zone beyond his years. He has terrific speed on the basepaths and a strong build that could develop more power, but he currently projects as top of the order player. He already has good range in centerfield, and that's purely on his athleticism -- it should improve as he learns to take better routes.

2003 Outlook: Webster is definitely one of the players to watch in all of the minors as he starts his first year in a full-season league at Kannapolis in the Sally League.

Team/League/Level G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG

Bristol (Appy - R) 61 244 58 86 7 3 1 30 38 38 16 7 .352 .448 .418

and this

Micah Schnurstein, 3B

HT: 6-1 WT: 205 Bats: R Throws: R 2003 AGE: 19 on 7/18/03

The Skinny: Despite a quick bat and a smooth swing, Schnurstein dropped to the fifth round based on his lack of athleticism. In his pro debut, he showed plenty of offense, with 20 multi-hit outings and an Arizona League record 26 doubles in 50 games. At the plate, Schnurstein hits rockets to all fields, and what is currently gap power should develop into over the wall power as he matures. He's an aggressive hitter, which leads to few walks. Defensively he's a capable third-baseman who makes the basic plays and has a strong arm. He doesn't clog the bathpaths, but is a step slow both running the bases and in the field.

2003 Outlook: Schnurstein will start the year in the Sally League, and not turn 19 until mid-season. He could be seen as another later round steal for the White Sox.

White Sox (Arizona - R) 50 205 28 68 26 1 3 48 12 34 1 2 .332 .373 .512

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pedro Lopez, 2B

HT: 6-1 WT: 160 Bats: R Throws: R 2003 AGE: 19 on 4/28/03

The Skinny: Lopez, a Dominican signee who hit .312 in the Arizona League in 2001, continued to produce at the plate as an 18-year old in the Appy League, while showing one of the better gloves in the circuit. Offensively, he's reminiscent of Luis Castillo. He's an excellent bunter and tries to hit the ball on the ground and use his excellent speed to reach base. He has 11 multi-hit games in his final 18 contests. For a player with his style, he need to improve his patience at the plate. He has very little power and there is no reason to believe he will develop into anything but a singles hitter. Defensively, he's highly advanced -- showing excellent range, good fundamentals, a solid arm and a knack for turning the double play.

2003 Outlook: Like Webster, Lopez is ready for his first taste of full-season ball after two years in the Rookie leagues. He'll join Webster and Schnurstein at Kannapolis.

Bristol (Appy - R) 63 260 42 83 11 0 0 35 20 27 22 8 .319 .370 .362

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arnaldo Munoz, LHP

HT: 5-9 WT: 170 Bats: L Throws: L 2003 AGE: 21 on 6/21/03

The Skinny: It's hard not to love tiny lefthanders who strike people out. Munoz surprised some by skipping the Carolina League and showing up in AA Birmingham at the age of 19 while easily holding his own. Despite his tiny stature (he's probably not even 5-9), Munoz can generate enough velocity for a MLB average fastball (88-90) while featuring a pair of curves -- one a 12-to-6 sweeper and the other a harder offering bordering more on a slider. He's made progress every year on his control and his pick off move is reportedly one of the best in the minors.

2003 Outlook: With his size and stuff, nobody is ever going see Munoz as a future closer, but he has all the makings of an effective lefty reliever who can pitch in the majors until he's 40. He'll start the season by returning to AA Birmingham or advancing to AAA Charlotte, depending on organizational needs.

Team/League/Level G GS W L ERA IP H HR R ER BB SO H/9 BB/9 K/9

Birmingham (Southern - AA) 51 0 6 0 2.61 72.1 62 6 29 21 29 78 7.71 3.61 9.71

Well, this year we will have a minor league section on the site, which will be run by Jason (chisoxfn), Cerb, and Mark (Murcie).  I think they will update the list every month or so.  

At the begginning of the season, I think that you'll most likely see a new list. updating some of the players that are not here anymore.......... and the ones who have improved through spring training and such.

as much as i respect your knowledge but having jon adkins rated that high?????????

are you high? been hanging around with sox420? :lol:

Remember, Adkins does have some quality pitches, they are just all hard. If he can learn an offspeed pitch, he could turn into a solid reliever.

As far as Webster and Reed go, both seem to be thought of as good top of the lineup hitters. I could see both of them making Comiskey. Reed will be the first one here though. Webster is much younger and will take more time.

Both are very good players, imo. We could see Reed as early as next year, since college players tend to move through the systems much quicker.