Best song of the 90's

QUOTE(bmags @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 09:09 PM)
i don't know...i really kind of like the post punk of the eighties as well as the pre grunge...which i'll consider the pixies...but joy division, the cure, the fall, the smiths, REM [edit] i forgot Depeche Mode...

I enjoy this type of music too, which always kinda got me funny looks from my metal friends back then - my punk friends didn't give me s*** about liking these bands, which was cool.

I'd add Jesus & Mary Chain and Peter Murphy's solo stuff to that list, as well as bands like Gene Loves Jezebel, the Stone Roses and Swervedriver. All very cool stuff.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 03:15 AM)
...as well as bands like Gene Loves Jezebel...

GLJ had sooo much promise, but that promise reached it's peak on their second album Immigrant. The big hit off of the follow up album, Discover, was a brilliant Pop ditty called "Heartache", and for as much as I loved that song I knew, I knew they were done. Immigrant had such original ideas on it, and some incredible dual vocal work by the brothers, that almost anything to follow would be a bit of a letdown or there would be too much chance of sounding like a rehash. But I didn't expect them to go into a typical New Wave Pop thing as so many of those bands went in the late 80's, and then to try and ride out the Glam thing once Michael left was insane.

I caught them on tour a few months before Discover was released, and they were amazing to say the least. This was back in '86 and I remember it like it was yesterday.