Beck - Loser

Ben Folds Five - Philosophy

Ben Folds Five - Army

Blur - Song 2

Blur - Tender

Dave Matthews Band - Ants Marching

Filter - Welcome to the Fold

Foo Fighters - Everlong

Fuel - Bittersweet (although I can't stand anything they did since that song)

Greenday - When I come Around

Live - The Dolphins Cry

Moby - Southside (I think that was still 99)

Offspring - Keep em Separated

Pearl Jam - Black

REM - Man on the Moon

REM - Losing My Religion

Radiohead - Creep

Smashing Pumpkins - Drown

Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet with Butterfly Wings

Smashing Pumpkins - Mayonnaise

Smashing Pumpkins - Today

U2 - Mysterious Ways

U2 - One

U2 - The Fly

Weezer - Buddy Holly

Wilco - Outtasite (Outta Mind)

Wilco with Billy Bragg - California Stars

QUOTE(Finkelstein @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 08:58 AM)
Head Like a Hole - NIN (early 90's)

Anything by Korn. (late 90's)

Great tunes...but I would have to say that 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' is the one, not cause I like Nirvana, I don't, but because it changed music in the 90s...

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 09:10 AM)
Great tunes...but I would have to say that 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' is the one, not cause I like Nirvana, I don't, but because it changed music in the 90s...

I'd say Smells Like Teen Spirit was definately the most influential song of the 90's.

The best song of the 90's is based on personal taste. Everyone has a few and they're all valid.

There were some good tunes in the 90's, but IMO the 90's were easily the worst decade for popular music yet. The 80's run a REAL close second, but what hurt the 80's was the production on most Popular songs. The drums were just evil in the 80's. Whereas in the 90's the material was just lacking. The One Hit Wonders of the 90's, not even 10 years later, are a strain to try and remember.

As for song though...sheesh. I'm actually going to go into a debate with this one with somebody now and chime in later. I'm sure you will all be waiting for my reply.

Oh, maybe I would have to say "Ruby Soho" by Kalapse...errr...I mean Rancid.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 09:31 AM)
There were some good tunes in the 90's, but IMO the 90's were easily the worst decade for popular music yet. The 80's run a REAL close second, but what hurt the 80's was the production on most Popular songs. The drums were just evil in the 80's. Whereas in the 90's the material was just lacking. The One Hit Wonders of the 90's, not even 10 years later, are a strain to try and remember.

As for song though...sheesh. I'm actually going to go into a debate with this one with somebody now and chime in later. I'm sure you will all be waiting for my reply.

Oh, maybe I would have to say "Ruby Soho" by Kalapse...errr...I mean Rancid.

The 80's were synthpop and make up. Was anyone really playing anything in the 80's? Madonna, Prince, M. Jackson, Boy George and Wham peaked in the 80's.

The 90's were dominated by grunge, guitars and hey even power chords kinda made it back. Grunge alone kicked the crap out of anything 80's.

Every decade has a ton of 1 hit wonders, the 80's had no shortage.

I know this, the 2000's are in serious trouble.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 08:39 AM)
The 80's were synthpop and make up. Was anyone really playing anything in the 80's?  Madonna, Prince, M. Jackson, Boy George and Wham peaked in the 80's.

The 90's were dominated by grunge, guitars and hey even power chords kinda made it back.  Grunge alone kicked the crap out of anything 80's.

I agree with you 100% about the 2000's!!!

You are not actually saying Prince didn't play anything...are you? I'm no Prince fan, but he is easily one of the greatest musicians to come onto the music scene in our generation.

Like I said, the 80's had some great music, but it was ruined by the production values. I'm not defending Wham! by any means, but out of that "band" came George Michaels, and whereas I can't stand the friggin' guy's music, he has an amazing voice.

Michael Jackson was not "80's", by the way. He had his biggest success then, but he was already established as a MAJOR star by then. Plus, up until the freaky things started showing up, there was no shame in Jackson at all. His stuff with the Jackson 5 is some of the best Soul Music/Pop ever produced, and that is even according to James Brown. Find me a cooler tune than "ABC", and you may only be pointing to "Tears Of A Clown" by Smokey and The Miracles.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 10:06 AM)
I agree with you 100% about the 2000's!!!

You are not actually saying Prince didn't play anything...are you? I'm no Prince fan, but he is easily one of the greatest musicians to come onto the music scene in our generation.

Like I said, the 80's had some great music, but it was ruined by the production values. I'm not defending Wham! by any means, but out of that "band" came George Michaels, and whereas I can't stand the friggin' guy's music, he has an amazing voice.

Michael Jackson was not "80's", by the way. He had his biggest success then, but he was already established as a MAJOR star by then. Plus, up until the freaky things started showing up, there was no shame in Jackson at all. His stuff with the Jackson 5 is some of the best Soul Music/Pop ever produced, and that is even according to James Brown. Find me a cooler tune than "ABC", and you may only be pointing to "Tears Of A Clown" by Smokey and The Miracles.

I always say that it's possible for a person to be extremely talented and still make s*** music.

Our tastes in music couldn't be more opposite, but I totally respect your opinion.

:cheers

Well, just covering my own ass, you will find NOTHING by Madonna (O.K., I do have "Crazy For You", but only to cover it someday...), Wham!, or any other 80's Pop in my collection!!! I agree with you on the talent and s*** music though. I think Prince might be better if he would quit all that high singing s***. "Kiss" might be a killer song, but then he starts singing and it goes to s***.

WHAM! was hopeless. But when George Michaels sang with Queen, he was amazing.

Boy George? Ugh. Hated him then and now.

There is some brilliant stuff in the 90's, I just can't remember any of it. Oooo, "3 Strange Days" by School Of Fish goes down as one of the coolest guitar riffs from the decade. And a wonderful tone on that guitar also!

QUOTE(papachiba69 @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 08:14 PM)
Excuse "i'll be Missing you" Give me a break somewhere sting and the rest of the Police are throwing up P. Diddy, Puff Daddy, Sean "Puffy" Combs, or whatever you want to call him ruined that song

Well, seeing as how Sting would have had to sign off on Combs' use of the song, and seeing as how Der Shtinglehoffer has performed that song WITH Puffy P Diddy Daddy on at least one occasion, AND seeing as how that song has obviously sent some checks to Mr. Sumner's mailbox, I'm sure he's not throwing up too much about it. The other Police? I dunno.

I'm not a fan of Diddy's version of the song, but I'd hardly say he ruined it.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 02:39 PM)
The 80's were synthpop and make up.   Was anyone really playing anything in the 80's?  Madonna, Prince, M. Jackson, Boy George and Wham peaked in the 80's.

The 90's were dominated by grunge, guitars and hey even power chords kinda made it back.  Grunge alone kicked the crap out of anything 80's.

i don't know...i really kind of like the post punk of the eighties as well as the pre grunge...which i'll consider the pixies...but joy division, the cure, the fall, the smiths, REM [edit] i forgot Depeche Mode...the only grunge bands i still listen to are pearl jam, nirvana...and...i suppose the smashing pumpkins were grunge if only for gish, i don't really consider much else they did grunge... plus those pop bands you mentioned...madonna, prince..etc...that was the top of pop...everone still looks at that as the pinnacle of pop music...

My song nominations:

Creep by Radiohead (if only for those two cha chungs by jonny greenwood)

Paranoid Android by radiohead

Mayonnaise by Smashing Pumpkins

Surf Wax America by weezer

Across the sea by weezer

Daughter by Pearl jam

...and mind block...

Edited by bmags