Lon Kruger and...

it'll be interesting to see if he can buy a razor and shave that f***ing unibrow... I mean my god man have some self-respect.

hhaha... everytime he came out, i felt embarrased for him. I was stunned he never shaved that off when he went to the NBA. Oh well, maybe he likes the style. :D

This is an old story, but I thought he showed a lot of class in helping the school that gave him his first head coaching job

BRONC ATHLETIC FOUNDATION RECEIVES LARGEST KNOWN DONATION

EDINBURG, TX-The University of Texas-Pan American’s Bronc Athletic Foundation is beginning its annual fund drive with the announcement of what is known to be the largest donation ever made to the UTPA athletic department.

And the first member is one of the most successful coaches in the history of Texas-Pan American men’s basketball.

Atlanta Hawks Head Coach Lon Kruger, who coached UTPA for four seasons and led the Broncs to a 20-8 record during the 1985-86 season, will become the first charter member of the BAF's Century Club, which will include individuals and corporations who contribute $100,000 or more to the foundation.

Kruger has been successful everywhere he has coached. In 1982, he took over a UTPA team that had won just five games in the previous season. The Broncs won seven games his first year, then were in double digits in victories in each of the next three seasons, highlighted by the 20 wins in his fourth and final season at UTPA. He then coached at his alma mater, Kansas State, Florida, and Illinois before joining Atlanta.

During his career, Kruger has continued to follow UTPA athletics and thought the Century Club was a good idea. “We’re excited about the foundation, and the direction in which it is headed,” said Kruger. “I hope this will start something that other people will become involved with. I think it will be very positive for the program.”

Kruger said that athletics at UTPA is moving in the right direction, and he was pleased with the opportunity to participate. “I’ve been talking to (Director of Athletics) Bill Weidner and (men’s basketball Head Coach) Bob Hoffman, and when Bill talked about the Century Club that he’s developing, I thought it was something that would provide an additional boost to the program,” said Kruger. “We appreciate the opportunity that UT-Pan American and (UTPA President) Dr. (Miguel) Nevarez gave us. We enjoyed the valley and the university a great deal, we made a lot of friends, and we enjoy the opportunity to be involved again. I’ve stayed in touch, and I’m impressed with what Bill Weidner and the coaches are doing with the program. It’s obvious that it’s not only about wins and losses, but also about academic and social development, and I think that what the student-athletes are doing is impressive.”

“We are most appreciative of the generous support that our athletic program at The University of Texas-Pan American is receiving from Lon and Barbara Kruger,” said Weidner. “As a charter member of our BAF Century Club, Lon and his wife will be honored in late August on our campus during a formal presentation. Lon’s visit to UTPA will provide an excellent opportunity for the Krugers to tour our campus, meet our athletic staff, and experience first hand the dynamic growth of our institution and athletic program since his tenure. It will also provide a wonderful opportunity for the Krugers to visit with old friends and share memories of the special time they spent here.”

The fund drive began last night, June 5th and will last six weeks, with the final meeting set for Wednesday evening, July 17th.

The BAF raises funds for intercollegiate athletics at Texas-Pan American. The primary purpose of the Bronc Athletic Foundation is to provide scholarships, books, academic assistance, and other financial aid to UTPA student-athletes.                       

For more information on joining the BAF, forming corporate partnerships and obtaining charter membership in the BAF Century Club, call 956-381-2221.