Sox best-kept secret

BridgeportHeather

Since when? I remember Maggs playing center and doing an adequate (at least) job. He has the speed and the arm for it. I can see no reason Maggs couldn't play CF in a pinch.

He could play there in a bind, but it wouldn't be pretty.

I seem to remember him playing in CF a few times in 2001 when they were experimenting with Jose in the OF, putting Jose in RF. From what I recall, he didn't have the greatest arm to get it in from deep center. You need the OFer with the best throwing arm in CF, as the distance to the plate is longer. I don't think Maggs in CF is a really good idea.

The best throwing arm is and should be in right, because they are the ones who have the best angle throwing home and also have a long throw to 3rd, something that is utilized very often.

Think, they may not get the guy out at 3rd, but a good arm can stop guys from taking 3rd on a single. Leftfielders don't have to worry about this, they have an easy throw to both 2nd and 3rd. Centerfielders also have an easy throw to 2nd and 3rd, and typically there throw home isn't too bad, unless it is a deep shot, and in that case, your not going to get the guy anyway, if he is tagging up.

This is an open-ended question, not a poll...Which young player do you think will have the most impact on the Sox success this year?

Im gonna have to say Garland. I woulda said Crede but our offense is dynamic so even tho I think hell do great it wont kill us if he doesnt. Unless we sign Rogers, Garland/Wright/Rauch are gonna have to contribute for us to go far. They did well at the end of last year tho so I dont think theres any reason to worry...

Rowand's days in a White Sox uniform are numbered, Borchard by July rest is history. :rolleyes:

If Borchard tears up in Triple A, & Rowand struggles, you're probably right. But if Rowand is doing a decent job, don't rock the boat. I agree that eventually Borchard will be the guy in CF, (or LF if CLee struggles), but give Rowand a legitimate shot first.

Guest hotsoxchick1

can we technically call mark a young gun anymore????? if so then he has my vote as the one to make the most impact...........if not then i dont know who to say because i havent any faith in any of them.............i guess that wright would most likely come closest.........now if you want to know which young player will have the most impact .. my vote goes for olivo.......hes gonna be dynomite behind the plate this year.............. :headbang

You need the OFer with the best throwing arm in CF, as the distance to the plate is longer.  I don't think Maggs in CF is a really good idea.

Do all the people posting here really understand baseball? My grandma could play cebterfield...sure but she'd suck. As would everyone on thr roster not named Harris, Borchard and Rowand and even those three don't belong there in a good defence. Sorry to pick on you with the quote here Heather but your worst arm is in center most of the time. Daubach is marginal as an OF at the very best and that means only LF in a real jam. Sorry for the bitterness of this post here, btu I've had a crap night and just because a guy can play any pos in a video game doesn't mean he can in the real world. We suck at center and I would love to see Borchard play there, just for the optics of having such a giant there.

You need the OFer with the best throwing arm in CF, as the distance to the plate is longer.  I don't think Maggs in CF is a really good idea.

Do all the people posting here really understand baseball? My grandma could play cebterfield...sure but she'd suck. As would everyone on thr roster not named Harris, Borchard and Rowand and even those three don't belong there in a good defence. Sorry to pick on you with the quote here Heather but your worst arm is in center most of the time. Daubach is marginal as an OF at the very best and that means only LF in a real jam. Sorry for the bitterness of this post here, btu I've had a crap night and just because a guy can play any pos in a video game doesn't mean he can in the real world. We suck at center and I would love to see Borchard play there, just for the optics of having such a giant there.

Other than the tone of your post, I basically agree with what you are saying. And when I was talking about Maggs playing center, I was refering to an emergency type of situation. I certainly would not want to have him as our everyday centerfielder.....unless we could pick up Vladdy to play right. :)

let's face it, the key qualities to a good cf, imo, is speed and brains...he must act as the quarterback in a way and be able to hit the gaps hard and make the right throws....thats why to me, the key youngster for the sox must be roward...if he gets healthy and produces big time, then a big concern (vis a vis) the middle of the field and the cf position is a solution that we wouldn't have to deal with for the next 10 years....