Sox best-kept secret

BridgeportHeather

I guess that I think the youngun who will have the biggest impact will be Jon Garland. I'm expecting a lot from him this year. He displayed some very promising leather last season, especially down the stretch of the season. I think that his one start in Boston last May really displays his capabilities. My expectations of him is to win 14-16 games this year, which, being the #3 starter in our rotation, will make us go far this season! Jon Garland's name is going to be more prevalent in league talk after all is said and done this year.

Ooooo, tough one. Starting rotation is about set, so I'm not sure about Rauch (especially w/ Loaiza here).

So, I'll say Borchard.

I'm with you. I think Borchard makes the team after having a monster spring and ends up hitting .265 with 20 hr's and 65-70 rbi's.

Joe won't wow anyone this year, but he'll learn a lot and shorten his swing enough. Then the next year he'll really improve. I just got a hunch Joe makes this club out of spring.

I can't explain why, I just see him having a great spring. He's a really smart kid who knows what he has to do. He has a good eye, which tells me he can shorten his swing at the major league level. I also think he's made good progress with the swing. Either way, he's up here by June 1st.

Jon Rauch, Joe Crede and Jimenez will also have pretty good years. Olivo will likely struggle, but play very good defense and show growth.

Garland and Wright will also grow, but I think they are already pretty good.

Hard to argue with Garland....or Borchard. I'll go with someone new...

Olivo has to step up and play good baseball....he has to show that he can handle the everyday catching duties and hit well while swiping a few bags now and then....getting a .250 5-10 45-60 10-20 season out of him would be real nice, and I think he can do it. What would be very, very nice is if he went about .280 15 70 25, but that's asking a whole hell of a lot.

I'm with you.  I think Borchard makes the team after having a monster spring and ends up hitting .265 with 20 hr's and 65-70 rbi's.

If the rumors that Jerry Manuel all but guaranteed Daubach a roster spot are true, I don't think there will be any space on the Roster for Borchard.

I think Borchard will start the season on the farm, and maybe by the All Star break, if it appears as if one of our OFers is incompetent, then he'll get the callup.

I'm with you.  I think Borchard makes the team after having a monster spring and ends up hitting .265 with 20 hr's and 65-70 rbi's.

If the rumors that Jerry Manuel all but guaranteed Daubach a roster spot are true, I don't think there will be any space on the Roster for Borchard.

I think Borchard will start the season on the farm, and maybe by the All Star break, if it appears as if one of our OFers is incompetent, then he'll get the callup.

I'm thinking Rowand will start the season on the DL, with Harris the backup centerfieler.

The most likely scenario is Rowand starting with Harris backing up or Harris starting with Rowand backing up while he gets to 100%.

I'm thinking Rowand will start the season on the DL, with Harris the backup centerfieler.

The most likely scenario is Rowand starting with Harris backing up or Harris starting with Rowand backing up while he gets to 100%.

Speaking of Rowand, have you heard anything about how his situation is progressing?

I'm with you.  I think Borchard makes the team after having a monster spring and ends up hitting .265 with 20 hr's and 65-70 rbi's. 

Joe won't wow anyone this year, but he'll learn a lot and shorten his swing enough.  Then the next year he'll really improve.  I just got a hunch Joe makes this club out of spring. 

I can't explain why, I just see him having a great spring.  He's a really smart kid who knows what he has to do.  He has a good eye, which tells me he can shorten his swing at the major league level.  I also think he's made good progress with the swing.  Either way, he's up here by June 1st.

Jon Rauch, Joe Crede and Jimenez will also have pretty good years.  Olivo will likely struggle, but play very good defense and show growth.

Garland and Wright will also grow, but I think they are already pretty good.

I have that exact feeling too. I think Rowand won't be 100% or will suffer a setback of some sort, and Willie Harris won't out perform Joe B. Though if they really don't want Joe to start in Chicago, they may wind up putting Rios or Daubach in center, which is a bad idea...

Speaking of Rowand, have you heard anything about how his situation is progressing?

He's supposed to be 80% at the start of spring training.

Harris as backup in OF??? why would that happen if we have borchard AND daubach available????

Its because Harris is the only one capable of playing centerfield on the bench if Borchard isn't there.

Daubach can play left or first, and I guess 3rd if necessary. Rios can play right or left, and I guess center in a bind, but he's terrible out there defensively. Maggs can't play center.

Harris will also be the back up 2nd baseman incase Jimenez struggles. If Jose really stinks and Jimenez does real good, then you could see Jimenez move to short with Harris taking over the 2nd base spot and Manos moving to the bench.

Since when? I remember Maggs playing center and doing an adequate (at least) job. He has the speed and the arm for it. I can see no reason Maggs couldn't play CF in a pinch.

He could play there in a bind, but it wouldn't be pretty.

I seem to remember him playing in CF a few times in 2001 when they were experimenting with Jose in the OF, putting Jose in RF. From what I recall, he didn't have the greatest arm to get it in from deep center. You need the OFer with the best throwing arm in CF, as the distance to the plate is longer. I don't think Maggs in CF is a really good idea.